Bigfoot oven problem? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 29 ft Arctic Fox and 17 ft Bigfoot
Thumbs up

Our 17CB Bigfoot has an oven problem consisting of the fact that the oven will not heat to temps on the oven dial. I/we have to turn oven up to broil to maintain 350 degrees. This is the highest temp that can be attained. Can this be an oven thermostat problem or other? Thanx in advance for the help.
Tom Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
There are some manuals in the Documents Center. If yours isn't there, I suggest you search on line (Google is your friend!) for one. Also, using the brand name, you might try searching "brand oven won't heat" and discover some threads on the subject in other RV groups (most RVs use off the shelf appliances).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you have an appliance repair (parts) place in your town, go and talk to them. I've found my local parts guys to be very helpful. An oven is an oven and an RV oven isn't built much different (except usually smaller and better insulated).

I bet it's the thermostat.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Our 17CB Bigfoot has an oven problem consisting of the fact that the oven will not heat to temps on the oven dial. I/we have to turn oven up to broil to maintain 350 degrees. This is the highest temp that can be attained. Can this be an oven thermostat problem or other? Thanx in advance for the help.
In most ovens Broil is the top element and bake is the lower element. Since you get 350 with broil your top element must be working , but maybe your lower element isn't. If the door has a window you should be able to see the element glowing if it works. Simple things first, complicated last. Have fun.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #5

Oven problems continue. There is only the one element and that is working fine. I have just found out that the oven control thermostat is unavailable due to the fact that the sensor unit in the oven itself has mercury in it. I was told that the only way to fix this problem is to replace the entire stove unit. Terrific! The four stove top burners work great. The oven is in pristine condition and does light and heat. But only to about 350 degrees tops. My wife bakes alot and will use the oven often. Does anyone know of a used appliance parts place that I could contact? Does anyone know a real clever appliance person that I might contact? I hate to replace a stove that is 90 percent good. Plus, the price of a new stove is quite pricey. Thanx for the help.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #6

Check in your town for someone that fixes appliances... they have have an old (or NOS) used part hanging around. There's probably a dozen appliance "fix-it" places in my town. Certainly wouldn't hurt to check it out.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #7

Thanx for the input. But, you have to understand where I live. There are few, if any, appliance repair shops here in NW Montana. I have a request out to "Hard To Find RV Parts" for this thermostat. I will keep at it.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #8

If you can get a picture and maybe a part number... perhaps a kind soul on this forum could assist...
Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young

I do this for a living... Donna is the wisest of us all right now...I need to know what appliance model number and s/n you may have to be of any sane help,even if I must end up saying "I dunno"...Here is a surprise for you...most of these parts are GENERIC...and there are cross over numbers...The cabinets are far more individualistic and unique...but the internal parts are not...The switch your talking about which is full of mercury is still used in pizza ovens today...I would like a picture, the numbers on the appliance and if not available the part number stamped on the part...All of them in question. I can send mail order links where you can get it or its cross over.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Talking

Also there is a calibration scew on the thermostat, most of them...

RULE ONE: Turn no scew more than 1/4 turn...period.

Now that is covered heres some pointers.

On some models 1970s ish...

Using the mercury clue comment.

If the knob is pulled off you will see the stem can be actually a little hollow down the center, dead center at the bottom of the stem is an itsy bitsy scew..."the size of a jewlers straight slotted driver"...to calibrate for 85% of the models of this era you put an accurate thermometer in the oven and turn the oven off...I set to 300 degrees...if the burner goes low before 275 then adjust untill the flame comes up to high flame and just goes to low flame at 295 so as to not overshoot target temp. These are not on/off flames, they are high/low flame control...if temps over shoot adjusting the high flow setting is needed, if targets are never achieved then low flame limits are adjusted and I have not covered that...The point the flame throtles back from High flame setting to the low flame setting is the termostat setting...sooo...this adjustment has two more approaches to its control of input btus (heat) and it can be confusing. I have covered one. High/Low flame setting we can cover later...I am approaching this from the tsat point of view only.

On some of the Mercury temp controls, the two small scews in the front usually one marked H on the right of the valve body and the other L on the oposite side...These are another way to set the temp settings in the oven by controling input heat/gas to the burner.

Now variations exsist, one style has two screws under the knob and has an itsy bity scale...its shaped like a half moon if you got that one I can send instructions.

The rarest is not a high/low flame control but an on /off main burner on call of heat with a standing pilot as an ignition source...in this era they are rare.

The new modern ones use generic ignition modules as well and are both the above.

There is hope even if you live in nowhereville. Just keep talking, asking and learning.

I assure you its not rocket science and the parts (controls) are 90% available...if it blew up only did they get rid of it...better for it...if it worked then it was used on a whole bunch of related appliances.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #11

Arrow

Now I feel like a real dope. I have not been on here for a couple of days and have not read Harry's reply until now. Yes, it does have the tiny screw in the center of the control knob. Having said that, I found the thermostat that I have been looking for at Beaudry's RV in Tuscon. It has been shipped as of Monday PM. It should be here by early next week. Given that I am not all that comfortable about adjusting the existing thermostat. If the part that is coming does not fix this problem I could reinstall the old one and give the adjustment a try. Again, right at this point my comfort level of adjusting anything related to gas is not the best. I will keep all informed.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
Tom;
I'm jumping in pretty late, maybe too late, but I have a 93 Bigfoot 17CB that has the Wedgewood R-1740 (or 45 - non electronic ignition) stove - 4 burner, with oven.
The oven works well up to over 450 degrees.
The thermostat part number is 52122, or 51095 for electronic ignition.
However, it looks tricky to weave the temperature sensor through the back of the stove and into the clips in the oven!
I suspect that the oven will need to be slid forward, but I haven't really looked at that part of the repair.
Anyways, Atwood Mobile Products makes the Wedgewood Stoves and I think that parts and manuals, and repair tips, should easily be available through the Internet!
Good luck.
Mike
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #13

Michael and all, I just have sent back a thermostat/oven control to Beaudry Rv, in Tuscon, that according to them was the correct part. NOT! It was not compatible with the gas manifold nor could it fit under and be attached as reqired to make it work. I took the entire oven ass'y apart. Yes, to route the sensor is somewhat hairy but I got the old one out and put it back. I am now back to square one. Harry, I am a bit confused about adjusting the small stem screw in the knob. Am I incorrect that I turn the ovn "off" then adjust the screw. I read, and reread, your tutorial and all seems simple enuf other than you say to turn the oven "off". Am I missing something.

Tags
bigfoot