Bigfoot trailer door strut - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2023, 09:23 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Nevada
Bigfoot trailer door strut

I have a 2021 Bigfoot 25RQ. On that model, there is a door strut located on the entry door bottom. Big gust of wind came along as Mrs was opening the door, blew it out of her hand and slammed against the retracted awning arm. Ripped the strut mount off the door. Door is still serviceable miraculously but the metal bottom had to be hammered flat again due to the blown out metal on the door bottom. I know I can bungee the door against the awning arm when we want it full open to use the screen door but I’m struggling to come up with a way to keep the door from slamming against the side of the trailer in the wind again. I have seen this issue come up on some Bigfoot FB groups but never really saw a solution. Anyone out there dealt with this and have the great fix? Thanks!
Dave R1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:23 AM   #2

Name: Gary and Myrl
Trailer: Bigfoot 2024 21RB
Arizona
Registry
Capita owners face this problem. A 1/2 tennis ball glued onto the side of the trailer at the impact spot was the solution when we owned a Casita.
upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While it won't solve the door hitting the side of the trailer, a friction hinge addition will slow it down & keep it in place for low wind. Most of the trailer doors that come with a strut don't have the friction hinge which can be added along with the standard hinges.

There are different models, so be sure to order the correct one for your door.

A friction hinge.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:14 PM   #4

Nevada
Thanks Jon, that might do the trick. Have you seen them on a Bigfoot? It looks like a standard Lippert door so shouldn’t be that big a project to install them.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:39 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I have them on my 2017 Escape 21C. Sometime after that Escape switched to the door with the strut and loose hinges. A number of Escape owners added the stiff hinge so that the door opened fully.

Again there are different sets of hinges. I’d check with Dometic or Lippert with the part number for your door to be sure you order the correct one.

On the Escape forum do a search for “friction Hinges for door” to see what others have done.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:47 PM   #6

Nevada
Will do. Thanks again Jon

Dave

Tags
bigfoot