Bigfoot trailer leaking city water check valve - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2021, 08:10 PM   #1

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Bigfoot trailer leaking city water check valve

Having finally found the small leak that kept my pump cycling, I would love to replace or repair the check valve. Meantime I have it tightly capped.
However, the line coming in from the valve is completely hidden by the kitchen cabinet.
Before I start making things worse by willy-nilly taking off the valve from the outside, does anyone know how the interior plumbing is connected to the back end of the valve? I see the original grey poly going up behind the cabinets, but what there is at the connection, I can’t see. Even with my SeeSnake.

Anyone know the best way to approach this particular problem?
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:08 PM   #2

Name: geoff
Trailer: bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Hi Deb, I had to replace the city water inlet on our 1981 Bigfoot 17 just last year. It was easier than I had hoped: it was just threaded on to a pipe behind it, and was all accessible from the outside. You'll probably want two wrenches to loosen & tighten the threads. I tried to find a photo, and this one from Amazon was the best one to show the threaded back side.

I removed mine and took it to a local rv store, who had to order the right style and color for me. I think it cost about $35CAD. A little teflon plumbing tape on the threads, butyl tape to seal the flange, and the new one was installed in a few minutes.

Hope that helps!
GeoffClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210624-205727.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	141669
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thank you Geoff! I’ll pull it tomorrow and see if I can get a match. If not, I should be able to fix it for the short term.

Drove me crazy trying to find the leak for 2 days. Everything inside was bone dry. Never thought of the check valve till I saw a damp spot on the ground.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:20 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: bigfoot
SK
good info

I also have a 1981 B17. Good info, thanks. I would mention that to access the plumbing on the inside I found the easiest way was to pull the stovetop and oven out. Disconnecting the gas line and removing a few screws allowed them to be slid out. Gave me a good look at the plumbing connections.
g4fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #5

British Columbia
Replacement city water valve

Just thought I would pass this along to anyone in need. I did find a replacement valve on Amazon. Can't guarantee that it will fit everyone's Bigfoot, but if you pull yours and it looks like the pictures below, the perfect fit replacement was https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like Geoff said, it was a pretty straight forward replacement. The poly B connection is relatively deep set but in a big cut-out, so easy to access. I needed a small pair of vice grips on the poly connection. It's a square fitting, and the adjustable wrench just didn't give a good enough grip on the slippery poly. But the vice grips, on a gentle setting, worked perfectly. After 30 years it needed a bit of muscle to move, but it came off. After a few minutes with the tape measure, I found the JR fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
city water 1.jpg   city water 2.jpg  

new valve 1.jpg   new valve 2.jpg  

Tags
bigfoot