Bike Rack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
This cannot be a new question, but I am not successful with searches for this topic. We have two bikes, a Toyota Highlander and a Casita SD 17. How can we put all this together? Mike Sanders has info on modifications to his brother's egg. If anyone has bike rack set up that will be at the Oregon Gathering, please respond. We would like to see your rig.

Thanks,

Kathy
kathy chamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I would like to see some more pics of bike racks as well.

I am considering modifying the back bumper/frame on my 16' Scamp with a tow hitch reciever. I would specifically like to see some pics of that area from people who have done something similar and how they tied it all into the frame to make sure it is strong enough. I am not looking to put 1500lbs on it or anything, just would like the option of either a removable bike rack or cargo carrier to carry some supplies from time to time.

So if you have any pics please post them (keeping my fingers crossed to see some pics under someones trailer)

Thanks
John Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
This is our set up. It raises the low part of the bike trays about 7 or 8 inches above the height of the bumper to make sure nothing gets damaged if we happen to go over a higher curb. The rack assembly is wedged and bolted to the frame just in front of the bumber for added strength.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bike1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	9547
Attached Thumbnails
bike2.jpg  
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Charlie C - I have something like that in mind. I actually crawled under the back of mine this evening and think I can work something out. Thanks for the pics.

Unfortunately the bumper is pretty weak on the Scamps, it is just a thin piece of angle-iron over the frame ends. The frame rails run parallel and are about 4' apart under there. My plan (when I get around to it) is to get a piece of reciever tube and notch out the existing bumper where it will sit and then reinforce that into the rest of the frame. I might beef up the bumper a little bit too but don't want to interfer with the existing stablizers. It doesn't appear that it will be too tricky to do but I will have to wait until the project begins to tell for sure. I am going to try and add as little weight as possible as long as it is strong enough to hold a few pounds.

My thoughts are that if I have a reciever I will be able to change out a bike carrier and a cargo basket depending on where we are going, or have nothing at all on there if not needed.

John and Adrienne
John Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Hi John, I use a receiver type rack on the tow vehicle.

I chose to stay away from the receiver on the trailer because I feel they sit too low and bounce too much on the rear of a trailer. besides that, they also require a lot of extra steel to mount the receiver tube securely.

The rack I built is anchored to the frame just ahead of the bumper so the bumper is carrying no weight and 80% of my rack and mountings are aluminum. This made a major difference in reducing the amount of weight that was added to the rear of the trailer. No welding was required and I can remove the whole thing in less than 2 minutes by pulling only 2 bolts and unplugging the hi mount lights.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We have the Hollywood bike rack on the back of the trailer. Jim uses a bar from the trailer band to the bike rack. Our bikes don't move back and forth...
Attached Thumbnails
Bike_Rack_Attachment_206.jpg   Bike_rack_attachment_to_band.jpg  

Bike_Rack_Attachment_215.jpg  
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote