Bike Racks - Tongue Mounted - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #1

Name: Ed
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Bike Racks - Tongue Mounted

After reading the tales of caution posted in this and other forums regarding hitch mounted bike racks extending off the end of lightweight travel trailers, I've determined that as a newbie, I'm not going to take the risk with our 16' Scamp (2020). Which puts me in a quandary as I need a way to transport 2 bikes. I'm trying to see if any of the tongue mount racks are an option. The Arvika looks great, but with the limited available frame space on the Scamp I don't see any way to successfully attach it. The Jack-it 2 (Lippert) looks more promising, but I'm concerned about the space available between its rack location and the front of the Scamp. Has anyone successfully installed and used the Jack-it 2 with a Scamp to transport 2 adult sized bikes? If you've done so with one of the other Fiberglass RVs, I'd love to hear your thoughts as well.
Ed in St Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A few years ago at a rally we met the owner of a fairly new Scamp 13. He had built a bike rack on the tongue, using steel angle as I recall. It was made to set on top of the trailer frame, and over the propane tank. He did a real nice job on it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
A couple of years ago I modified the tongue of my U-haul CT 13 to accommodate dual LP tanks. In so doing, I found a neat place to mount a receiver. I use a receiver mounted bike rack from Harbor Freight. It works great. The CT 13 has an exceptionally long tongue so I have plenty of clearance from the tow vehicle. I am not sure of the configuration of the Scamp tongue but it may give you some ideas. When I get a chance I will try to post a photo.

TimothyP
TimothyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:12 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Scamp has the common "V" tongue, where the Uhaul has the single square tube tongue. We removed the propane tank on our UHaul and installed a storage box. Removed that box before we sold the Uhaul.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #5

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: in the market
Oriental
I am more concerned with the additional tongue weight a bike rack will add. My Jeep Grand Cherokee only likes 5003 and the Escape 19 comes in below that. If I mount my rack on the tongue that might not be the case. Mounted behind the spare tire it actually helps with my tongue weight concerns.
Mary Ann in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Tongue mounted bike rack

I have the same problem with my Escape 19. I have ordered, but not received, a Swagman Traveler XCS rack that fits over the ball tongue.http://https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64664.html

My hitch is complicated by brackets for a WDH system. Couldn't get the exact sleeve measurements from etrailer so it will be trial and error, and maybe re-engineer it when it arrives. Is the tongue long enough is one issue, the other is clearance for the tailgate on my Highlander.

The Swagman the only one I found that seems to do what I need it to do. Good luck with yours!
Glenn Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #7

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: in the market
Oriental
I don't see how the Swagman rack mounted on the draw bar solves your tongue weight problem. Maybe we have a different concern.
Mary Ann in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Lighten the tongue weight at your peril. I have an Escape 19 and won't mount bikes on the rear. I'd mount them on a tow vehicle roof rack first.

Adequate tongue weight is needed to keep the trailer from swaying. Until you have had trailer sway, you won't realize how bad it can get (and it can roll the trailer AND tow vehicle too). I target 13% tongue weight.

Go to youtube and search for trailer sway. There is one where someone is towing a light weight nearly empty open trailer behind their full size SUV. Rolls them both.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:30 PM   #9

Name: Brandon and Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
We're looking at adding a front hitch receiver onto our F150. We can then mount our bike carrier to it and carry them in front of the vehicle.
On our two week trip, this past two weeks, we saw several truck hauling bikes and motorbikes this way.
SMSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #10

Name: R.R.
Trailer: Escape 21
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Lighten the tongue weight at your peril. I have an Escape 19 and won't mount bikes on the rear. I'd mount them on a tow vehicle roof rack first.

Adequate tongue weight is needed to keep the trailer from swaying. Until you have had trailer sway, you won't realize how bad it can get (and it can roll the trailer AND tow vehicle too). I target 13% tongue weight.

Go to youtube and search for trailer sway. There is one where someone is towing a light weight nearly empty open trailer behind their full size SUV. Rolls them both.
There has been at least two Escape 19 that have rolled after sway. It is THE most prone for sway IMO of any Escape due to the rear bed and aft mounted refer. That is why they take up prime space in their front box- if optioned-with batteries. And many travel with empty fresh tanks.
Osos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:45 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in St Joe View Post
After reading the tales of caution posted in this and other forums regarding hitch mounted bike racks extending off the end of lightweight travel trailers, I've determined that as a newbie, I'm not going to take the risk with our 16' Scamp (2020). Which puts me in a quandary as I need a way to transport 2 bikes. I'm trying to see if any of the tongue mount racks are an option. The Arvika looks great, but with the limited available frame space on the Scamp I don't see any way to successfully attach it. The Jack-it 2 (Lippert) looks more promising, but I'm concerned about the space available between its rack location and the front of the Scamp. Has anyone successfully installed and used the Jack-it 2 with a Scamp to transport 2 adult sized bikes? If you've done so with one of the other Fiberglass RVs, I'd love to hear your thoughts as well.
Find “Floyd.” Send hm a PM. He is the resident Scamp guru and defender. He built a front rack for his Scamp 13 and may be able to give you advice.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Lippert Components Jack-It 2-Bike Carrier

We installed the jack-it on our Trillium 4500 as the trailer is already a bit tail heavy. It's a great rack, however, getting the rear bike off the rack is quite difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
20200718_194727_HDR.jpg   20200718_195229_HDR.jpg  

Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Lippert Components Jack-It 2-Bike Carrier

Additional photo showing the side view to determine clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
20200718_194720.jpg  
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Dear Ed in /St. Joe

Here are two photos of the receiver I attached to the tongue of my U-haul CT 13 (see my previous post in this thread.) I know that your tongue is configured differently but, if you could see a way to adapt that receiver (I think available through most auto stores) to your unit, you would then be able to use most any receiver mounted bike rack without having to re-invent the wheel.

Timothy P.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200909_124814.jpg   IMG_20200909_124829.jpg  

TimothyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #15

Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
this one works great for me. Clamps right onto the ball mount. Carries two bikes. Really solid.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here's a couple which work great...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0045.JPG   IMG_7914.jpg  

IMG_7915.jpg 1.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #17

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Bike rack

Well, one alternative would be to ditch the motorbikes and ride conventional bicycles Instead of ebikes. Our carbon fiber bikes weigh about 17 pounds each and require a much lighter rack. But we are only 70, and if you are older, that might not be a suitable alternative for you.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #18

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Just a muddy-the-water alternative. A friend of mine just sent a photo, yesterday, of his solution for a tent trailer that has the standard 50° angled coupler.

He removed the coupler, and then he welded on a 2"x2" square tube structural steel extension, and substituted a straight coupler. This works great IF you are a welder!!
He now has room for the bike rack.
Attached Thumbnails
extended tongue.jpg  
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #19

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Hunter
OK
This might work

It works well for me to mount my rack over the hitch
Attached Images

jefft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #20

Name: Galen
Trailer: Scamp 16
Kansas
Registry
Tongue weight too light

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post

Just returned from a trip watching a uHaul truck towing a small SUV on a four wheel UHaul trailer; just in front of me they developed such sway it drug them back and forth across the highway. thankfully they were able to slow down and stop the sway; after a gas fillup, I passed them again miles later- they were traveling a much slower speed than when first encountered.
fastdixie is offline   Reply With Quote