Biker: where should I mount my spare - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #21

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
I would remove the box and lose the 6" blocks. Human nature may lead you to filling that box, despite your best intentions. The pendulum effect, if your trailer starts to sway, can be catastrophic. Boler frames were under engineered and are now 40-50 years old. If your axle (also under engineered) has not been replaced, then you should consider it. The spare can be mounted on the rear bumper with a common clamp-on spare tire carrier, available at an RV dealership. Mine came from Metro Trailer in Winnipeg. I had them install one of their new frames made of slightly larger materials and galvanized.
Jim Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #22

Name: Jonette
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Thanks Jim, sound advice.

It's been a few years since I've been camping, but Im the sort who likes to be prepared for anything and I have a vivid imagination.... so yeah, just going through all the camping gear I gave stored now, I recall being packed to the high nuts, lol. I think I can pare my gear down by at least 25% or...probably more. I never had a really nice camper before, so I carried a lot of stuff in case of some sort of failure or inclement weather. I don't think I'll have those sorts of issues with this Boler, but old habits die hard, no doubt a bunch of 'just in case' stuff would creep its way into that box.

I won't get a chance to get out to the storage facility for a week or so, but when I do I'll take some pictures of the frame and axel, I have no idea if they've been replaced, re-enforced or upgraded in any way, hopefully I can get some decent pics and post them here for advice.

So I'll take the box off. Hopefully an easy enough task for me to do myself, I'm sure I can tear the plywood apart, but I didn't look close enough to see if the steel frame it sits on is bolted or welded to the trailer frame.
Jonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #23

Name: Jodi
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
[QUOTE=John in Santa Cruz;814890]oh, re too much tongue weight, good question... I suppose it would reduce the effectiveness of the trailers brakes, and it would put more load on your vehicle frame.

the standard number is 10-15% of the trailers total weight.[/QUOTE

Also need advice and also from Santa Cruz park hosting out at Antinelliís Pond in West side. 13í Scamp trying to get it set up for quick escape and survival, ie solar panels and place to hang my ebike and/ or storage off bumper. Need handier person than what Iím know how to do. Ideas?
jodimckenna56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:46 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonette View Post
I noticed lots of creaking and groaning, mostly at slow speeds over speed bumps in parking lots...
Kind freaked me out at first, that crunching noise sounds so awful, like something serious is amiss. I'm mostly deaf, but I can hear that! I found a couple of different bolt on hitch stabilizers on Amazon....anybody use those? Simple thing, just a big U bolt and an offset metal plate you tighten at the reciever/extension joint.
I bought a Stowaway hitch stabilizer and at first it did absolutely nothing to improve our setup.

Then a year or so later I took a few minutes to actually install it(!) and it eliminated all of the play between the ball mount and the receiver. It eliminated a bunch of noises, including a rare but occasional loud one that made it sound like something sounded like something had broken loose.

I would call it essential.

As John said, if you are using a separate piece to extend your receiver, try using a longer ball-mount and eliminate having multiple pieces which increase the movement and noises.

And use a hitch stabilizer.
Attached Thumbnails
Stowaway Hitch Tightener.jpg   Stowaway Hitch Tightener 02.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #25
tua

Name: Manley
Trailer: Happier Camper
Everywhere, USA
You can get simple U joint tire mounts, and mount it under the trailer to the frame. Works very well. I was always hesitant, concerned about height but it works fine.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler