Black mold question inside Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Black mold question inside Scamp

In winterizing my Scamp I was told I have a great deal of black mold inside the trailer - under the mattress, inside the water holding area, under the sink and of course the frig I need suggestions on how to demold the trailer. I have no garage so it sits outside in drive. I bought a cover for it this year, once I get the mold off the outside. As I have no smelling capacity I am not able to tell
If the inside is mold free. Thanks for suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
In winterizing my Scamp I was told I have a great deal of black mold inside the trailer - under the mattress, inside the water holding area, under the sink and of course the frig I need suggestions on how to demold the trailer. I have no garage so it sits outside in drive. I bought a cover for it this year, once I get the mold off the outside. As I have no smelling capacity I am not able to tell

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Scrub it with Fels-Naptha. This will kill the mold. If stains remain you could repaint using KILZ or Zinzler Permawhite. The latter has a 5 year mold proof guarantee and can be tinted pastel.
The Fels-Naptha can be used on fabric as well as hard surfaces.

If you store the camper outdoors, you should either remove the cushions for storage or stand them on edge to prevent condensation which invites mold.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
After you have it removed, use this stuff.
Kanberra Gel - Tea Tree Oil Airborne

Aint cheep. Have used it for years.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
This is a well documented problem. Simply Google "mold killer" or "how to kill mold". There are dozens (hundreds?) of solutions and products available. Simple laundry bleach will kill surface mold almost immediately, but may let it come back in a month or two. I find it reasonably effective, cheap, and readily available, however. For better results use one of the many biocides commercially available at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, or on line.
ravensrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Mould is nature's recycler. It is a fungus. There are thousands of species. It digests organic material, both plant and animal types. The visible part is called hyphae. Hyphae grow on surfaces and internally in pourous material like wood etc. It is the internal part that make mould difficult to kill. The odour is caused by the volatile organic compounds produced by mould growth.
The VOCs are irritants. Fungal particles can make you sick in contained spaces like inside your unit. Infection in health people is rare.
Three things are necessary for mould to grow. (1) a source of organic material as food. (2) spores which are always present in the air. (3) moisture.
Mould growth is prevented by finding and eliminating the moisture source. Don't tarp your unit, it traps moisture. Allow the air to circulate so moisture can evaporate. Remove visible mould with soap and water from hard surfaces. Once mould has penetrated soft surfaces like wood you can clean the surface but you can't remove it from the interior so if moisture is present, mould growth will reappear.
Biocides must come into physical contact with the mould to prevent it from growing. Some biocides leave a residue but once the residue dissipates, mould will resume growth.
Clean your mouldered surfaces, seal as much as possible with a biocidal paint like Kilz and above all, eliminate the moisture. Cushions, bedding etc. shouldn't be stored in your unit.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
[QUOTE=Infogypsy;617915]In winterizing my Scamp I was told I have a great deal of black mold inside the trailer - under the mattress, inside the water holding area, under the sink and of course the frig I need suggestions on how to demold the trailer. I have no garage so it sits outside in drive. I bought a cover for it this year, once I get the mold off the outside. As I have no smelling capacity I am not able to tell

A 50/50 mix of javex and water in a spray bottle is cheap and effective. Give it 10 minutes to dry and the problem is 'temporarily' solved. Now you have to deal with the source !
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:38 AM   #7

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
There is a marine fabric you can buy to put under cushions to let air circulate. I have it and a bucket of DampRid which I regularly check. I am under a minimal carport. Seems to work fine to prevent mildew. I also have the top vent and bathroom windows cracked, frig and bathroom doors propped open.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #8

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Removing/Preventing Mold

Clean with a 1 part bleach to 8 parts water using a scrub brush. Wipe dry, do not rinse. Let dry throroughly...Coat paintable areas with Zinsser mold killing primer (I use this product because it's odor dissapates quickly). Discard or wash with bleach/soapy water any moldy fabrics. After all is cleaned and dry, use Damprid in the trailer...I put a container in my Scamp's bathroom and another in the kitchen; empty collected water and replace Damprid throughout the winter. I also cover my trailer.

Some folks are allergic to molds, so you may want to wear an N-95 respirator mask while cleaning, available at your hardware and building supply stores.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I am guessing from how you wrote your inquiry that you paid to have your camper winterized. Have you looked for mold yourself, and/or had a friend take a look? There is a good possibility that the outfit that winterized your camper is trying to sell their mold remediation service, and there isn't a problem worth getting concerned about.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
By all means, clean any visible mould. Soap and water will be sufficient. Disinfecting cleaners, bleach and other biocides aren't usually necessary. It isn't likely you will kill all the mould and even if you did, it would serve no purpose. Mould spores, from which growth originates, are always present, in huge numbers, in the air.
Bleach will only prevent new growth until the residual free chlorine dissipates. Other products have a longer lasting residual biocide but this can be a concern as well. Anything that poisons mould usually isn't good for people or animals.
The only effective way to prevent mould growth is to find and eliminate the moisture source.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp