Black streaks under windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Black streaks under windows

Does anyone know why these black streaks occur and how to prevent them in the future?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1417211993.410918.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	78867Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1417212004.258012.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	78868

Ben Moffett
Greenville SC
beakerben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #2

I actually know when they occur which is right after it rains

Ben Moffett
Greenville SC
Old 11-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beakerben View Post
I actually know when they occur which is right after it rains

Ben Moffett
Greenville SC
Hi: Beakerben... I believe they come from the rain water reaction with the butyl putty used to seal the windows to the fiberglass. They are the bane of RVers!!! I found they are easy to rid with LA's Awesome cleaner found at most every Dollar store... but they will return.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I've always considered it just concentrated dirt and grime that accumulates on the roof and washes off with rain where it stains the sidewalls where the run off is concentrated. But I would't argue with Alf's answer either. Have not seen a way to prevent them other then keeping the trailer indoors but stick on rain gutters can lessen the effect somewhat.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you find a way to stop it you will make a killing :-)

Best defence though is to keep the trailer well waxed and they will usually wash right off. Otherwise a 3M Marine product such as Cleaner and Wax will take it off easily. If its really stained the fiberglass their Restore and Wax product will take it off for sure.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #6

I can wipe it off with a rag but it still leaves a light ghosting but will try one of these products.

I was just concerned that the trailer might be leaking around the windows but if everyone is experiencing it I'm assuming it's a natural phenomenon. I like the rain gutter idea. I'll have to look those up.

Ben Moffett
Greenville SC
Old 11-29-2014, 05:19 AM   #7

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
reminds me I need to wash and wax mine again.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If nothing else the gutters will concentrate the streaks to where the gutters end. You can buy stick on plastic gutters from Camping World or Amazon. They can be curved around windows easily and are available in a couple colors. I put them on our Uhaul a few years ago in a failed attempt to stop water leaks around the windows. However they have stayed on, never came loose.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
I've always considered it just concentrated dirt and grime that accumulates on the roof and washes off with rain where it stains the sidewalls where the run off is concentrated. But I would't argue with Alf's answer either. Have not seen a way to prevent them other then keeping the trailer indoors but stick on rain gutters can lessen the effect somewhat.
Hi: padlin00... I usually answer with a ? Ever wonder where your tires disappear to as they wear out!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #10

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Agree with Carol. 3M Cleaner and wax is the ticket. Took off black tire imprints where my spare rides in the rear of the trailer. At her recommendation I purchased and love the stuff! Yes these black streaks are an unfortunate rv deal. Keep her waxed best ya can.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I was wondering if it was a result of the black window rubber oxidizing and washing off in the rain? Going to try treating the rubber (next summer) and see if it reduces the streaking....
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
I was wondering if it was a result of the black window rubber oxidizing and washing off in the rain? Going to try treating the rubber (next summer) and see if it reduces the streaking....
It isn't (primarily) caused by the window rubber. My trailer is new, it's sitting outside and is covered in black streaks where there are no windows. Do you wonder what your sticks 'n bricks home siding would look like without gutters to run off water from the roof? An all molded towables kinda tells you... sigh.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #13

W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
On my old trailer I had streaks coming down from the front bunk hinges, an even the front marker lights, no rubber there. I also had streaks just coming down off the white rubber roof, no butyl rubber up there. That's why I took it as an environmental issue.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I use a mixture of Bleach and water and spray it on and let it set 15 minutes, wash off and do one more time.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #15

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Is it ok to use bleach on fiberglass?
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #16

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I do not know if bleach degrades gelcoat or not. Darwin says he's doing it mixed with water and no problems. All I try to do is keep trailer well waxed best I can and then the streaks seem to wash off pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Turtle Wax Bug 'n' Tar also removes the black streaks with little effort.
Only problem I've had is that where I've applied it is shinier than the surrounding area.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I suspect tire dust and particulates in the air, the streaks are just the location where the light dew, mist, or rain run down. Bet if you watched sides in a drizzle you would see a rivulet of water where you see the streaks. The water just concentrates the stuff that has settled on the roof.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it, not that butyl tape or other sealants might not cause the same issue but I get streaks that run from the roof down. Guess it could be from roof vent butyl tape.

I have caused mine to change location by changing the angle of the trailer.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:24 AM   #19

W. Mass
Just be careful of any graphics, I suspect simplegreen helped wash mine out. Works great on the streaks though.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:49 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You can use anything on the exterior of your trailer to clean it as you would to clean the fiberglass shower stall in your sticks 'n bricks home. Just remember, some of those things remove wax (along with grunge) and may contain a bit of rubbing compound. Start with the least aggressive cleaner and move to a more aggressive cleaner as needed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows