Black water tank smell - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #1

Name: DiAnn
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
AZ
Black water tank smell

Traded the Scamp for a used 21' BigFoot & happy except for this one issue. Does anyone know:

Why, when flushong the toilet & holding the water release button down to drain the hose & tank....the smell is similar to that of a sani-can. This is when no solid waste has been in the tank. It is only when flushing water for longer than a minuteor so.

Is that normal?

Is there a way to avoid it?

Have added cleaners to the tank, etc. & still have the smell.

Any information or advice welcomed.

Thanks
😎
dibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Black water tank smell

I had the same issue. I purchased this stuff from TanktechsRx.com it is a good bacteria that once it gains the quorum in the tank it virtually eliminates all of the Odor. You do need to fallow the directions really closely for it to work.
It's kinda expensive but after you get control you use so little of it, it lasts for a long time.
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
try this stuff, it really works. I think it is the best available...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:02 AM   #4

AZ
Thanks Floyd. Will check it out.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
This article might help too:

Head and Holding Tank Treatments | West Marine

I require a treatment that is safe for septic systems also, and it appears that Floyd's suggested product meets that requirement.

By the way, it sounds like maybe the smell you are objecting to is the chemical smell and not the waste. So perhaps the "environmentally friendly" products might be better for you.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
2X on the Odorlos. I took Floyds advice years ago and it works great. No chemical or other smell. Sometimes it's hard to find, Camping World sells it or buy it on line. I use the non liquid variety.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: ODORLOS
Might work well, but certainly not a product for those seeking a natural solution.

Per MSDS Sheet:
Synonym: Hydrated Ammonium Calcium Nitrate Double salt solid

Ingredients: nitric acid, ammonium calcium salt.

I know that some hereabouts poo-poo MSDS sheets, but the first aide info should be noted.
http://www.yara.us/images/5633_ODORL...m362-56827.pdf

And I fail to see any mention as being safe for septic systems.
http://www.yara.us/images/OdorlosBro...m399-51359.pdf

As in the case of all chemical products, read and follow the instructions.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #8

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
that's the way it is.....

it's NORMAL.....if I get your description right you're drianing the black tank as per usual and then going in the trailer to flush more water down the toilet (for whatever reason I don't know).....you're getting sewer gas coming up from the sewer system when you do that.....just don't do it...problem solved

trying to clean, flush out completely your black tank is a complete waste of time, energy and water.....if your house was on a septic tank would you get in there and clean it once a year????

Any amount of wastewater and prescribed amount of chemicals in your black tank get tossed around so much while you're driving down the road that it's like a washing machine in there.....what is the point of cleaning/flushing it further between regular uses???.....if you really want to get "anal" about it before you put the trailer up for storage you could dump half a bag of ice cubes in your half full black tank and then go for a drive before the last dump of your season.........anything else/more is a solution looking for a problem as far as I'm concerned
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #9

AZ
Thank you Francois. Agree with the 'normal' situation waste smell & am ok with that. Smell is less as we use the trailer more, so it may be a good flush out was all it needed.