Blackwater tank leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 73 Trillum 98 Scamp 16ft. 2007 Escape 17ft.
British Columbia
Blackwater tank leak

I have a 98 16ft Scamp toilet sits on the blackwater tank and it seems to have a leak at the outlet for the tank. I'm not sure how the out pipe is sealed to the tank looks like it had a wax seal at one time which would be a fairly easy fix. Anybody out there with some answers or ideas. Thanks JT
JT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Need pictures of the problem to understand.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I've been waiting for someone who has been hands-on with this to help you out.. in the meantime, do you have the installation manual? (That might not be the exact model however).

I believe the wax ring under the black tank is to keep shower water from going out the big hole where the black tank drain is, and maybe to keep bugs from coming in. I dont think it has anything to do with sealing the black tank. That is done with the drain pipe connection.

Are you sure the water is coming from the black water tank and not the shower pan? If so then I expect it will require removal of the toilet, then removal of the black water tank, and reinstalling all according to the manual (using a wax ring in place of caulk in the floor area as described in the manual.) Take notes as you disassemble and it should all make sense.

In fact even if it is only shower pan water, I guess you still have to remove the toilet and tank to replace the wax ring... or just put a bucket under it when showering. But then eventually the floor will rot also.. Glad I don't use my shower!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 73 Trillum 98 Scamp 16ft. 2007 Escape 17ft.
British Columbia
Thanks Gordon the manual is a big help. I have talked to Scamp and they said the same thing about the wax only to keep the bugs out. I have no shower. I can't remove the discharge valve under the trailer because there is no room to turn the whole thing frame gets in the way. After fiddling with it all morning I still can't find a leak. So I've put it back together with some fresh wax and added 2 more screws holding the whole thing to the floor (there was only 2 to start with) I have filled the holding tank with water and can't see any leaking so as my grandson would say "it's a mystery" I am going to leave as is and will see what happens on this weeks' adventure I doubt it's fixed but enough time spent on that for now. Thanks again JT
JT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
toilet repair

John
The toilet tailpipe unscrews out the bottom of the tank. But as you found out
it can't be unscrewed it once it is assembled and glued together. You have to cutoff the L and then the tail pipe unscrews. ABS parts are hard to find so just order the replacement parts from Scamp before you cut things apart.
3" threaded tail pipe, 3" Street L , 3" valve flange and 3" blade valve if needed.
I think the inst. instructions tell you to use silicone as a thread sealer. The problem is if the pipe is not supported or bumped and the seal breaks you have to start the process over again.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
John
Eddie
Thanks for posting that.. I also saved it in my notes file for future reference.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
I recently pulled the toilet tank because I had black water on my shower floor after traveling from boondocking to my next destination. In the process of pulling the tank I found that the vent pipe elbow was never glued to the fitting on top of the tank. I placed the toilet & tank out on the ground & plugged the bottom of the tank and filled the tank w/water. I plugged the vent fitting & pressurized the tank. No leaks. I can only figure that the black water leaked up & out of the not glued vent fitting. Another thing is that only 3 of the 4 mounting points had screws & holes in the shower floor. I put the toilet & tank back in but I still need the ABS pieces to complete the job. I hope it is fixed.
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Robert
ABS (black pipe) parts are getting hard to find. It's best just to order what you need from Scamp. It will save you a lot of running around. Call the parts dept. they will get you what you need.
I have seen black water leak from the bowl to tank seal from the four bolts being loose. usually just snugging them down usually solves the problem. The seal kit is about $20 if needed.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #9

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Thanks
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote