Boler 77 door align needs help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
Boler 77 door align needs help!

After searching relevant posts, I can't find an answer so here goes.

Has anyone replaced their old Boler 2-hole hinges with a newer 3-hole Scamp hinge on the body? My door is slanted to the right, with the 1-2" gap at the bottom left. This means that the door flys open going around curves because the latch side just barely meets the door lock. The top right of the door has rubbed the gel coat off the frame.

It seems that either the bottom hinge is bent, or the body has flexed and caused the door to sag to the right. Can't tell which. If I replaced the 2-hole hinge with a 3-hole this would give the door more support (3 holes being better than 2) and help to lift the door up into place. I have already replaced the pin and balls as well as the old rusty bolts to no avail. We talked about shimming the hinge to push it out 1/8 inch, but postponed that idea.

I know I may have to re-drill 1-2 of the existing holes (or at least widen a little) and add 2 more, but it might be the best fix I can come up with.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Jamie
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:44 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
What kind of shape is the brass spacer ball in? If it's worn down too much it can throw the alignment off. I think many have used the Scamp hinge with good success too. I would see first if you could replace the hinge pin and see how that goes.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler