Boler B1700 Dometic RM36 fridge parts / repair - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Donald
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Posts: 14
Boler B1700 Dometic RM36 fridge parts / repair

I am getting to the point in my restoration of my Boler B1700 where I am looking to get the original RM36 3way absorption fridge working. It works on AC and on Propane (haven't tried DC yet, but probably). However the big plastic selector switch / cam that shuts off the gas and is supposed to toggle it into AC mode does not engage the switch - I have to do it by hand from the back of the fridge. It's part number 31 on the attached diagram.

The selector will turn (looking at it from the rear of the fridge) clockwise - which opens the gas valve - but only if I manually put the switch (#26) into the middle position. Turning counter clockwise it will only go as far as fully closed on the valve - but there doesn't seem to be anything on the groove that the switch rides in to activate the switch. Am I missing something?

It looks like if I were able to keep turning the selector counter clockwise the radius of the groove changes and would push the switch up. But the stop on the backside of the gas valve prevent turning past full closed (gas handle down).
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2021-06-24 201140.png  
LeftToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:48 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Name: Donald
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Posts: 14
I am assuming that parts #21 and #31 are mutually exclusive - 21 being for the 2-way (LPG/AC) and 31 being for the 3-way (LPG/AC/DC) model. Mine only has #31.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210625_034201064.jpg  
LeftToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Donald
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Posts: 14
Nevermind - figured it out. You need to push the knob in to rotate past the 6 o-clock position, but it was a bit seized.
LeftToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
John in Michigan's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Posts: 1,883
Registry
Donald, in my Boler 17 I went through the same exercise last year of testing the RM36 fridge in LP mode after proving it worked in electric mode and actually using it in electric mode for a while.

While testing the RM36 in LP mode, I found that the LP burner wasn't getting hot enough to cool the fridge. I then cleaned the LP jet per the Dometic instructions (soak the LP jet in isopropyl alcohol) and this fixed the problem. The fridge now cools very well in LP mode.
John in Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:12 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Name: Donald
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Donald, in my Boler 17 I went through the same exercise last year of testing the RM36 fridge in LP mode after proving it worked in electric mode and actually using it in electric mode for a while.

While testing the RM36 in LP mode, I found that the LP burner wasn't getting hot enough to cool the fridge. I then cleaned the LP jet per the Dometic instructions (soak the LP jet in isopropyl alcohol) and this fixed the problem. The fridge now cools very well in LP mode.
Thanks. I did this as well, and it works pretty good in both LPG and AC modes.

The problem with this unit is that the previous owner broke the igniter knob and gas selection knob off inside the fridge. As far as I can tell, I have to pretty much disassemble the entire fridge to access these items (the extender rod for the mode select switch and the entire igniter assembly).

So for now anyways, I am just going to manually select gas or electric from the back of the fridge and light the thing with a lighter.
LeftToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:59 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Posts: 1,365
Registry
Just for fun post

We have the original options list for the boler and it shows three fridge's available. We have the cheapest option included model. Basic setup is same in back though. See you have a RM36 the vent kit sheet included in original documents shows RM36 vent kit was used for the RM382 fridge as well.

Earlton Manufacturing CO. LTD
options and accessories sheet prices effective June 20th 1978

Add for
RM35 $547.75
RM211 $431.80
RM382 included

We also have the original
Manual for
Fridge with diagrams
Wiring diagrams for Bargmand 6 and 7 circuit 12v connectors
Dometic roll out awning installation and adjustment docs for that option
Allanson Power Converter documents shows wiring diagram and that battery charging was an option.
and more
Did not know we had these found while looking for new replacement furnace docs

My wife Carole is great she saves everything.

What year is your trailer?
__________________
Our postage stamp in heaven.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
John in Michigan's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Posts: 1,883
Registry
Mine is a 1979 B1700 Deluxe rear gaucho, flat door.

- Fridge indicates RM360 on the door; I did not check the metal spec plate on the back.
- All cabinets are 1/2"x2" plywood strips form the frame, skin is thin plywood paneling.
- Bottom is 5/8" plywood subfloor tabbed into sides of the shell; also the bottom shell covers the entire bottom of the body below the subfloor.
- Original converter was a Powertron with 15 amp 110vac main breaker and shore power cord. Replaced the PD 4135 and 30 amp shore power inlet.
John in Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Posts: 1,365
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Mine is a 1979 B1700 Deluxe rear gaucho, flat door.

- Fridge indicates RM360 on the door; I did not check the metal spec plate on the back.
- All cabinets are 1/2"x2" plywood strips form the frame, skin is thin plywood paneling.
- Bottom is 5/8" plywood subfloor tabbed into sides of the shell; also the bottom shell covers the entire bottom of the body below the subfloor.
- Original converter was a Powertron with 15 amp 110vac main breaker and shore power cord. Replaced the PD 4135 and 30 amp shore power inlet.
We also have the fiberglass under plywood but the plywood is a bit thinner 1/2" tied into the walls with fiberglass, fridge difference maybe the year difference or different production location. You have strait door like one of our past neighbors. Cabinets are same construction as ours took ours out to repair them and reinstalled with new paneling and Stanley closed end marine rivets. We still have original 15amp power converter.
__________________
Our postage stamp in heaven.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Name: Donald
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
We have the original options list for the boler and it shows three fridge's available. We have the cheapest option included model. Basic setup is same in back though. See you have a RM36 the vent kit sheet included in original documents shows RM36 vent kit was used for the RM382 fridge as well.

Earlton Manufacturing CO. LTD
options and accessories sheet prices effective June 20th 1978

Add for
RM35 $547.75
RM211 $431.80
RM382 included

We also have the original
Manual for
Fridge with diagrams
Wiring diagrams for Bargmand 6 and 7 circuit 12v connectors
Dometic roll out awning installation and adjustment docs for that option
Allanson Power Converter documents shows wiring diagram and that battery charging was an option.
and more
Did not know we had these found while looking for new replacement furnace docs

My wife Carole is great she saves everything.

What year is your trailer?
It's a 1978 B1700 (Neonex) rear gaucho. I have basically gutted it and am in the process of converting it to a side gaucho.

The fridge is working except for the broken knobs. My plan at this point is just to operate it manually (from the rear) because it looks like I will have to disassemble most of the cooling unit and gas/electrical system to get access to the igniter (broken off inside) and mode select knob (extension rod is mangled).
LeftToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Posts: 1,365
Registry
show some pictures

LeftToaster add some pictures of your little baby to your profile or post them here we all like to see each others rigs. Would be great to see them. We have to upgrade some of ours as we have done a lot of work through the years.
__________________
Our postage stamp in heaven.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boler, fridge


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CANADA - 1980 - Boler B1700 - $5900 David Tilston Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 0 06-20-2012 01:51 PM
Boler B1700 tank capacities? Rene Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 8 05-24-2012 07:35 PM
'79 B1700 Boler "Deluxe" for sale Chuck H. Classified Archives 0 09-03-2008 10:28 PM
suburban furnace repair. (B1700) Herb P Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 11 08-26-2007 04:45 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.