Boler bunk/couch: does top bunk fold down? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 03:14 AM   #1

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Boler bunk/couch: does top bunk fold down?

It seems to me that it would be great if the top bunk folded down to form a couch with the bottom bunk of my new2me Boler. At first, the top bunk seemed too stiff to adapt to the curve of the front wall. It makes sense that the cushion would have a stiff backing if it's to hold someone's weight...

While cleaning up, I think I noticed that the ends of the top bunk have a little "give" that would allow it to form a couch. Is it my imagination? In IanG's "Proud Canadian" transformation video, there is an image that seems to come from an old Boler ad. I thought I saw something about the bunks transforming into a couch.

Am I right or just lacking sleep? (I struggle with insomnia. That's why the first thread I followed on this forum was called "Sleep"... I'm hoping to benefit from that womb-like effect of sleeping in a Boler!)

By the way, anybody knows what's the highest reasonable weight one should have to sleep on the top bunk?
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:10 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Seems to me that the posts I've read of bunks is that they fold down for a back rest.....may be wrong though. As far as weight, that hasn't been a firm number overall. If it was mine I wouldn't go more than 100#s just cuz.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
IF the upper bunk is original, then, yes, it will fold down to make a backrest. There are small hinged wings on each end that bend to conform to the curvature of the shell.

Name:   Bunk Base 2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  15.4 KB

To lower, turn the little crescent-shaped cushion at the front of the bench (the "banana" cushion) onto its long edge- it will store behind the backrest, giving it a comfortable angle for sitting. Remove the bunk posts and let the upper bunk swing all the way down until it rests on the fiberglass bench. You may have to pull the main bench cushion out of the way. Replace the bench cushion in front of the now-backrest. The bunk posts can be stored on the little ledge under the window behind the top of the backrest.

Once you get the hang of it it takes less than a minute to set up or take down. If my directions aren't clear, there should be a video on the Scamp website. Other than a few details of hardware, Scamp wisely changed little from the original Boler design. It's very clever, way better than the fold-down upper cabinet arrangement in many stickies that leaves the occupant smashed up against the ceiling.

As to weight, I've heard anywhere from 80 to 120 pounds. The higher number is what Scamp told a recent buyer of a new trailer, but there's nothing official in the literature. I tested the bunk in my Scamp before I let my daughter sleep there. It felt solid under my 160 pounds, though I don't plan to sleep there myself. The ledge that supports the front edge can become weakened in an older trailer because of leaks in the front window, so that's something to check.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:07 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
It folds down and makes the back of the bench. Have you tried folding it down?
They're meant to hold a child's weight (I think 75#).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Sylvio ! My 1973 Boler has the same feature as adequately described above by Jon's newer Scamp. Perhaps yours is merely stiffened up from lack of use ? And, I certainly wouldn't let anyone over 50 kg. use the bunk, but YMMV !
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler