Boler Cabinet Support - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Boler Cabinet Support

So my Boler 1300 didn't have the cabinet support. I measured the height of the cabinets from the counter at either end and have a difference of 1/4 inch. I just received the Scamp support I ordered. Do I push the roof up until the height of the cabinet from the counter top at the end where the support goes matches the height at the other end?
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
A 1/4 inch is really not significant, if your Boler had been missing the support there has likely been some amount of sag over time. The roof is also not flat so there wouldn't necessarily be a parallel between the counter and roof.
My 13 had the support and there was a difference one side to the other.

I'd not worry about the 1/4 inch and just gently push up until it fits.
Humpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #3

New Hampshire
There are no holes in the side of the counter showing how high up the support was attached. How do I know I have the roof in the right place? Do I stop pushing when the gap between the counter top and the cabinets are the same distance at both ends of the counter?
Old 08-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
They don't have to be the same. Your trailer is an "egg" and is not "square." If you have to ease one side in, push up gently with a block of wood in between, go slowly--even nudge it up one millimeter or less a day until the supports fit.

It's somewhat flexible and will move some.

Here's how we supported our roof while working without the upright support walls: We nudged it up a bit a day for several days. We didn't try to go too far with it, though! Notice the big flat piece of plywood against the ceiling...we had the same on the floor. We did very similar things when putting in the galley supports. Whatever length they sent you "IS" the correct length for your model. That's my best guess on that, anyway.

BEST!
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 081.JPG  
Old 08-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #5

New Hampshire
Kai, I don't have any support screw holes in the side of the counter to see where the support goes and it is a Scamp not a Boler part. I'm trying to figure out how to get the support mounted so everything is true or am I being overly obsessive?
Old 08-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #6

Registry
I re-read your first post, and I think the answer has to be "yes." You probably had it figured out as best as possible already. Push up the side that is too low and install them the same on both sides.

Otherwise, perhaps you could contact Scamp and see what they recommend.

Paul measured our supports from countertop to bottom of galley cabinet: he said they are the same. So you were right in the first place.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #7

Registry
old supports and new--

Our new 5/8" marine plywood galley supports and the old ones, 1/4" paneling, cracked and disintegrating . We tried many things but ended up with these, hand-made by Paul from remnants of our floor and other rebuild. He says they are exactly the same length (height). Notice the metal angle (commercial grade) at the corners of the upper cabinet for greater weight distribution/stability. He screwed down into the wooden supports through the angle before pushing them into place, sitting on top of the counter. Then the small "clips" at the bottom to keep the whole thing from shifting, and to keep the clips off the countertop for easier cleaning. We've since added a shelf at about the place where the plywood is very pale on the left.

Best luck with your supports--it sure makes a difference in stability of roof and the whole trailer...

We love the metal ones. Too bad we were unable to get some that fit, but these are doing the job --and are easy to attach things to.

BEST
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 110.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Kai, I don't have any support screw holes in the side of the counter to see where the support goes and it is a Scamp not a Boler part. I'm trying to figure out how to get the support mounted so everything is true or am I being overly obsessive?
Alex, nothing in these things are square. Any lift you put back in the roof to get cabinet lined up closer along with the bracing is good. We used to call it a "monkey match" kind of thing .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #9

New Hampshire
Thanks to all of you for your help! After more than 50 years I still haven't learned to stop second-guessing myself! I will stop obsessing now.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Some habits are hard to break
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #11

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Ours is a 1970/71 we think but it doesn't have a cupboard support either.

But when I look at a lot other boler pictures I noticed that a lot of them have a chrome looking post going up from behind the stove to the cupboard, whats that post for?
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #12

New Hampshire
That is used to run the wires for the lights. It is not a support. If you don't have a support for the cabinet, you will need one. As others have pointed out you can use just about anything for the support. If you want one similar to the original, you can order it from Scamp. As far as I can tell the only difference between thhe original and the Scamp support is the Scamp is white and the original appears to be black in the pictures I have seen.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #13

Registry
Mensie--agree, you do need supports. fiberglass eggs "flex" under travel and you don't want them flexing too much --or sagging. They're pretty strong, relatively stable, but they do need their upright supports inside.

Alex: each of these trailer tasks, when new, does seem to both require and cause a lot of 2nd guessing! It's better to ask and think it over than to forge ahead and regret the haste.
I think you're doing very well. Bet it'll look good! (pics?) Oh--and your avatar says you're hunting--is this 1300 your found egg?

BEST
Kai
Old 08-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #14

New Hampshire
Ooops! Missed changing that. I will get some pics after when I get a chance Labor Day weekend during my first camping run with it.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #15

Registry
There it is! 1979 Boler B1300! Thanks!

BEST happy camping!
Kai

Tags
boler