Boler door hinge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Boler door hinge

My Boler door is in good shape, as is the frame to which it is mounted. However, the door sits just a wee bit crooked, due hinge misalignment. Each hinge, as you all know, is secured with two screws per hinge. The top hinge, and the top screw on the bottom hinge I have been able to loosen with the application of heat on the screw. And, this allows the door to be adjusted to sit squarely, but with a larger gap on one side than the other.
However, the bottom screw on the bottom hinge sits in a very awkward position. I have tried everything I know of but cannot apply enough force to loosen the screw - and, I am afraid of destroying the hole for the screwdriver.
Any thoughts on how to get at this offending screw? The only thing I can think of is to drill it out. Thanks for your comments.
skyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Do you have pictures of how the door presently sits? How crooked is it?
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Have you tried break free?
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Ontario
I have tried all manner of releasing agents, and have applied heat. The problem is access to the head of the screw - it is buried in the top corner of the settee. I have found no way to get in there to apply any meaningful torque to this troublesome screw. Right now - top gap 1/4", bottom gap 5/8".
skyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #5

Name: Dave and Bonnie
British Columbia
Boler door hinge

You can replace the screws and the washer (brass) easy for $22 from Ian Giles at Camping Treasures.com
so take the trailer to a tool and die company or an RV repair shop and have them
drill it out for you
that way you'll have nothing wrecked and a new hinge operation - note that the
metal hinges never wear out !!
best of luck
Dave and Bon with Berniece from New West BC
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler