Boler Entry Door Latch - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2021, 08:50 PM   #1

Name: Jonette
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Boler Entry Door Latch

The Bargman is in great shape, tho I swear the key has almost no nubs, probably easy to pick!
The issue is the striker at the side of the entry. It seems to be worn down, or worn rounded off.

The plunger in the bargman catches fine, except when I lock it, the plunger will pull back just enough when I pull on the locked handle that it slips past the worn striker - opens real easy.

The door stayed shut ok while I was towing my Boler home, and along the way I thought if a temporary fix so I could put the camping stuff I piled in my Jeep into the trailer and lock it up at the RV storage place.

Luckily, I had thrown my cordless drill into my Jeep before I left home, for what I had no clue at the time, I'm a "just in case" kinda girl, I guess, lol.

So along the way I was able to stop at a rona, intending to pick up a small mending plate, but the smallest was too wide. So I grabbed a small hinge instead, drilled two holes in the striker and screwed the hinge on so it stuck out far enough for the plunger in the bargman to catch.

Worked fine.

So.....am I correct in assuming this idea would be the best way to do a permanent fix? I thought I'd grind down a small mending plate to fit, then use aluminum j-weld and the same two screws to attach it to the striker. Anyone have a better idea or suggestion?

No doubt the woman I bought it from had left it pretty much unlocked in her yard for 3 years....must just be luck no-one broke in. Or a very moral and honest town she lives in!
Jonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:53 PM   #2

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Extend the striker plate vs. extend the latch bolt

Hello Jonette,

I had a similar issue with my Bargman after I fixed the door sag on my Trillium. I solved it by disassembling the unit and having a small metal extension welded into the latch bolt. Didn't occur to me to extend the striker plate, but I already catch my clothing enough on the small amount it protrudes.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...fix-90415.html

Good luck,

Scott
2morebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #3

Name: Jonette
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get a notice that anyone responded in this thread.

So thanks for the tip and the link to your solution, I may end up going the same route.

Trouble is...I can't store my trailer at home, it's in an RV storage place, so I don't want to take the Bargman out and leave my boler unlocked and no way to keep the door closed for any length of time. I may have to tow my trailer to a shop or rv place somewhere, or hope my idea for a fix works ok long term. I hate the idea of having to install a hasp lock on the door, this boler is too pretty for that!
Jonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #4

Name: Angela
Trailer: Surfside Triple E
British Columbia
Same issue

Iím so impressed with your work. I have the issue and was looking for ways to first understand the part names involved and ways to get it fixed. I am grateful for your post and hope i can find someone to do this work for me.
angitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Fixing the door hinges with replacement balls bolts and springs fixing alignment of our door by filling in the worn holes and moving hinges for better door alinement, pulling back the lower wall spread out due to floor and wall separation fixed our door catch. The key and lock mech ware is not as easy though we did not have that problem. They sometimes have replacement parts available.

Tags
boler