Boler flourescent light - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2006, 12:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Boler
I got the 120 volt running today for the first time since I bought it. I installed a new 15 amp breaker and a new power cable and plugged it in. Happy to see the outlet works and the flourescent light (20 watts) has power.

My Q though....The flouresecnt light only will light when I move it around a bit in the light fixture. When I first turn it on I can see the ends illuminate but it never fully comes on till I move it a little. I am new to flourescent lights all together so what is going, do I need a new bulb, ballast or is it the fixture itself ??

Thanks!!
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1970 Boler
no one experience this "phenomenon"
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Have you tried cleaning the contacts, with some Deoxit, or contact cleaner ? Have you made sure that the bulb is making good contact where the bulb seats ? (With 110v. disconnected) Sometimes they do act like that, when the bulb is getting old. I have one florescent in my kitchen that can be tempermental, too. The others work fine.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Hi,

The original instruction papers with our '77 Boler say "Be sure that the extension cord is plugged into a grounded circuit, otherwise the fluorescent light will not come on. If a grounded circuit is not available, simply rub the bottom of the fluorescent bulb with your finger and it will light up."

Please let us know if it's true.

D & D
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi,

The original instruction papers with our '77 Boler say "Be sure that the extension cord is plugged into a grounded circuit, otherwise the fluorescent light will not come on. If a grounded circuit is not available, simply rub the bottom of the fluorescent bulb with your finger and it will light up."

Please let us know if it's true.

D & D
If true how do you get a battery operated fluorescent light to work?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:36 AM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
take away it's unemployments bennies?

off to my room....
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
take away it's unemployments bennies?

off to my room....

Good one, Gina.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
If true how do you get a battery operated fluorescent light to work?
Battery-operated fluorescents certainly work (I have two), as does the 12V-powered ThinLite fluorescent which I mounted in my Boler, which has no separate "ground" connection. The compact fluorescents (CFLs) that are screwed into lamps in place of regular bulbs also have no ground connection.

There are a few different starting methods for fluorescent lights, and one of them requires a ground plane near the tube (a function which apparently can be performed by a human body); if that's the one which Des's fixture uses, the instruction makes sense, but it doesn't apply to all designs. I would be surprised if a modern fixture requires the grounding, but a 30-year-old fixture is a different matter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler