boler frame dimensions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2015, 11:22 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: 72 boler 1300
Manitoba
boler frame dimensions?

hey everyone, just figuring some stuff out for my boler. (it has a different frame, built from one of the previous owners)

I was curious as to what the width of stock boler frames are? mine is 48" outside to outside, and if that is the case for stock frames, I'm intrigued to know (perhaps some pictures?) of how people have their axles mounted, as i've been told the stock axle mount plates are 49 1/4" edge to edge.

Are the plates supposed to stick past the frame roughly 5/8"? do they do that, so the holes in the plates line up with 48"?

Thanks.
r0yal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Hi there, I have a number of plans for Boler frames and have given them to Metro Trailers here in Winnipeg and they are going to hopefully start producing them for customers. As one of our members has broken her frame once too many and cant be repaired any more. If you want a copy of the plans I can get them to you.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0yal View Post
hey everyone, just figuring some stuff out for my boler. (it has a different frame, built from one of the previous owners)

I was curious as to what the width of stock boler frames are? mine is 48" outside to outside, and if that is the case for stock frames, I'm intrigued to know (perhaps some pictures?) of how people have their axles mounted, as i've been told the stock axle mount plates are 49 1/4" edge to edge.

Are the plates supposed to stick past the frame roughly 5/8"? do they do that, so the holes in the plates line up with 48"?

Thanks.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I redesigned the boler frame to make it stronger and eliminate the problem areas.
Here is all the info on my frame design, if you scroll to the bottom of the page the diagram there includes measurements.
Boler Frame
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #4

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Hi there, I have a number of plans for Boler frames and have given them to Metro Trailers here in Winnipeg and they are going to hopefully start producing them for customers. As one of our members has broken her frame once too many and cant be repaired any more. If you want a copy of the plans I can get them to you.

Rick

Hey Rick, yeah I went down to metro and was talking with one of the guys (name is escaping me right now) he was telling me that they're planning on making frames in the near future. Very friendly group of people down there.
As I don't plan on building a new frame I won't need the full set of plans (as of right now but I guess you never know haha), but if you could let me know what the width (outside to outside) that would be great. (Do you have the plans on your computer or are they just hard copy?)

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #5

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I redesigned the boler frame to make it stronger and eliminate the problem areas.
Here is all the info on my frame design, if you scroll to the bottom of the page the diagram there includes measurements.
Boler Frame
Hey Ian, your site has been of great use to me I'm constantly reading and re-reading through it. I did notice that your frame was 48" width outsides. But I couldn't find anywhere on it if you used the stock dimension axle (64" hubface to hubface, 49 1/4" axle mount plate outsides) and if you did use it, do you have any close pictures of how the plates look mounted to your frame. (The ones on your website blur too much for me to see when I zoom in)
Thanks.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Hey Ian, your site has been of great use to me I'm constantly reading and re-reading through it. I did notice that your frame was 48" width outsides. But I couldn't find anywhere on it if you used the stock dimension axle (64" hubface to hubface, 49 1/4" axle mount plate outsides) and if you did use it, do you have any close pictures of how the plates look mounted to your frame. (The ones on your website blur too much for me to see when I zoom in)
Thanks.
Hub face measurements are the same as original, The axle mounting plates are bolted through the center of the frame rail so it is best to measure exactly, in my case the frame rail center is 46". The axle is mounted by welding nuts to the inside of the frame then the frame gussets are welded over the nuts to provide the strength.

Another consideration is the boler body is offset on the frame by 1" towards the kitchen side, I would recommend that the axle mounts are offset towards the kitchen side by 1/2", this will result in the axle being centered under the trailer body rather than the current it is which is centered under the frame.

If you identify the picture you are referring to I can send you a higher resolution copy ... I have to scale images on the website to reduce load times.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #7

Manitoba
Well, if you look here, it appears the axle mount plate hangs slightly past the outside frame dimension

But on this picture, it looks like the axle mount is flush with the frame, is there something I'm not seeing? So what you're saying as far as the offset goes, on the opposite side of this picture below, the axle mount will be hanging 1/2" past the frame?

Did you re-use your stock axle? or did you order a new one? do you recall what your axle mount dimensions are?
I'm just at the dilemma where I'm close to ready to order a new axle, but judging from the stock dimensions, the outside of the mounts are too wide for the frame I have. They don't give bolt hole to bolt hole dimensions via dexter's website, so I'm not sure how wide the mount plates are.
Does that make sense? If its sounding confusing, I will draw up some plans of it for a better visual.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Ignore the first picture, that was during the build with the new frame sitting on top of the original, just for initial reference

These show the axle mounting better

The axle is a new Flexi-Ride which has a splined arm on the torsion bar allowing the arm angle to be adjusted which changes ride height, I also installed the axle as a trailing arm rather than the original leading arm configuration. When using this axle take into consideration the original axle has a 6" arm whereas the Flexi-Ride has a 4.5" arm, this difference will change the wheel location in the wheel wells if the mounting points are not moved
Old 11-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #9

Manitoba
Ok, so I found this on Dexter's site.

So judging by this, and the stock axle dimensions given to me by a local trailer supply. (49 1/4" outside to outside axle mounts) CENTER to CENTER of axle mount bolt holes should be 47 1/4"

and since your frame is also 48" how do your axle mount plates not overhang the frame? the appear to be flush.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:

So judging by this, and the stock axle dimensions given to me by a local trailer supply. (49 1/4" outside to outside axle mounts) CENTER to CENTER of axle mount bolt holes should be 47 1/4"

and since your frame is also 48" how do your axle mount plates not overhang the frame? the appear to be flush.
My frame is 46" center to center on 2" wide frame rails (44" inside to inside and 48" outside to outside). The bracket width is 2" the "G" dimension on your image which matches the width of my frame so it is flush. The original frame is only 1.5" wide which would have some overhang (1/2" total) so that probably accounts for the confusion.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #11

Manitoba

This is the dimensions of my frame. So if I were to place a piece of 2" wide steel under the frame for the lift block (as my axle has been flipped as well) then that essentially should take care of the measurement differences.

Which then would eliminate the hack job I managed to buy here
Old 11-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Yes a 2" block would be far better than what is currently there.

Tags
boler