Boler not attached to frame?!? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #1

Name: Chris & Sarah
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Boler not attached to frame?!?

We think we've discovered that the Boler is not being held to the frame anywhere!! From reading the forums, I think I should be seeing screw heads/washers under the couch (3 on each side?), in the closet and under the sink by the wheel well, under the table benches (2 or 3 on each side?), and one right in the middle of the floor (?). Of all those places, I see ONE screw... And just empty holes for the others...

Thankfully, we haven't towed it very far - just the less than a km from PO to our house, and then to the mechanic to get axle and wheel bearings looked at. The mechanic said he wasn't 100% sure how the Boler was attached to the frame.

So, what's the solution?? I've read some threads on here that say I could just get larger lag screws so they'll bite into the frame/shell again. I've also read other threads where people are reinforcing their frames with angled new pieces of frame?

Needless to say, this has made us very nervous, but very thankful we hadn't hit the open road yet!

Thanks for any and all advice!

Sarah
ChriSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Simple test. With 2 people go to each corner and try to lift the body by the belly band. If it doesn't move off the frame, you are good to go. (Hint, watch for movement where the frame comes out of the ends.)
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Chris and Sarah,

Below is what I posted in another thread for another member a few days ago. So there is one sheet metal screw or self threading screw located in the kitchenette, one in the closet, and the rest are in the front bench and rear benches. In addition, there are four 1/4" bolts with nute and washers (two in the front bench and one in each of the rear benches).

Good luck!
John

----------------------------------------------------------------

For reference, my 1974 Boler made in Alberta had:

- Four 1/4" bolts with fender washers (on the floor), lock washers (below) and nuts. These four bolts go through the FG floor into flanges that are welded to the rectangular tubing frame. Two of these fasteners are under the front bench. The other two are under the two rear benches.

- Approx. fourteen #10 x 1 1/2" sheet metal screws with fender washers (on the floor) go through the FG floor into the rectangular tubing frame.

All of the above appeared to be original. I replaced all of the fasteners. (Edit: The sheet metal screws were loose. I increased sheet metal screw size to #12 (hex head self drilling screws).)
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #4

Manitoba
Thanks, John. They definitely points us in the right direction.

So the holes in the FG look like they're slightly off set from the holes in the frame - probably just shuffled one way or the other over the years. Is it as simple as getting a few guys to push/pull the shell back into position?
Old 06-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #5

Michigan
Registry
If there are a total of four holes that are slightly offset from the tubular frame (if your Boler was built in the same manner as mine), two under the front bench and one at the back end of each of the rear benches, these are probably the holes for 1/4" bolts that bolt into small flanges welded to the sides of the frame. They are held by nuts.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Similar situation with my Trillium.
Several places where screw had originally been, through the floor into the frame.
The original screws had either rusted away completely, or, the thread portion had corroded away to a single thin 'wire'.
When I put it back onto the frame, I will probably use 'U' bolts of some sort.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
When we got our amerigo home last fall, and ended up gutting it, we discovered there was only about 1/2 of one frame bolt left. The others were so rusted they crumbled into dust as Paul took them out. An amerigo normally has six, four int he front and two in the back. We towed it from Salem, OR up hill and down to Oakridge, OR (near Eugene)and back up to Seattle on the I-5 freeway with 1/2 of a functional bolt holding it on.

Now it has new, stainless bolts in all four spots on a professionally repaired frame, with YUUUUGE stainless washers and lock nuts. Should be OK for a while, knock wood.

What do they say about something protecting working girls and fools?
Must've been our lucky day we made it home with "Peanut!"
Old 06-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #8

Manitoba
I can only find 14 holes - is it possible that there are only 10 screws and then 4 bolts?
Old 06-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Yes, entirely possible there were 10 screws and 4 bolts. Have you looked under the camper and found four small metal flanges or tabs welded to the frame? The four bolts would go through these flanges.

Tags
boler