Boler propane leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #1

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Boler propane leak

Help? I have a propane leak somewhere. What’s happening is when I use my propane for my ‘77 Boler Dometic 3way fridge it all works fine but I get a bothersome smell and it’s likely a leak somewhere. I have undone and redone the tank connections but have no idea what to do from there. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Dave Bonnie and “Bernice”
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
THIS article describes the proper inspection of RV propane systems. It should be done once a year or when there is any sign of trouble. Note that it requires specialized tools and knowledge. If your propane lines are original then they are very old and I for one would not trust them at all. So go see a pro.. dont let THIS happen to you.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #3

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Or, mix up some dish soap with water 1:1 in a spray bottle that will spray a stream rather than a mist. Squirt all the joints while the tank pressure is on them. A leak will froth up quickly. Spray the frig connections too.

Spray any suspicious looking places along the copper or rubber lines and where they run through walls or frame.

The tricky part will be the stove top where the leak is most likely coming from. Spray any joints there as well as the on/off valves.

If you're smelling propane in the trailer its likely the joints/valves in the trailer.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:48 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
don't fool with propane leaks. Do the soap check or get a tester.

https://www.amazon.com/Detector-Batt...86375184&psc=1

Make sure you check all the fittings. the fittings are supposed to be flared fittings and not fittings with compression ring type plumbing fittings if you replace lines make sure they are rated for gas/propane not all copper tubing is the same. Watch for places were copper line is touching other metals. copper is noted for galvanic corrosion with other metals so check carefully. if in doubt get a professional. propane is dangerous and you already know there is a problem.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You now have a leak that you can smell and A small leak and the bad smell goes away and leaves you with a camper full of explosive gas so find the leak B 4 you put the camper away for the winter.

Try the soap and water. If you get a propane person they have an electronic sniffer that can narrow it down.

Whet ever you do _ Do Not wear anything that can make a spark or turn on or off any electronic item or light any matches.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #6

British Columbia
Great advice thx so much. I’ll will do soap test and take trailer to a propane tester. So helpful to have this forum!
Old 09-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #7

British Columbia
I found out from travco rv in burnaby bc that there are two off positions for your oven dial one says off the other next to it says pilot off! If you don’t shut it off the pilot leaks a little propane��. So we may have soled it but doing a complete check anyway!

Tags
boler, propane