Boler refrigerator not getting cold - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 12:53 AM   #1

Name: Emilie
Trailer: Boler
Oregon
Boler refrigerator not getting cold

Hey guys,

I'm having some issue with the fridge in my 1975 Boler. I'm wondering if I can get it working again, or if I should just bite the bullet and buy a new fridge.

It's a Tedco 202. I bought the Boler in October and have been full-timing in it ever since, running the fridge on AC. For the first three months, the fridge worked fine. It was actually a little TOO cold. It froze my vegetables a few times and I had to turn it way down. Then in mid-January, it just spontaneously stopped working one day. I opened the door, everything was warm, and all of the ice had melted. There was no heat coming out of the vent in the back (it had been quite hot before when the fridge was running).

The fridge manual suggested cleaning out the flue, and the research I did online suggested that blowing some condensed air on the burner might help. I did that, and to my delight, it seemed to work. The fridge started up again. It did get too cold again, and I eventually had to turn it down a little.

Then about a month later, the same thing happened. Fridge spontaneously stopped getting cold. I tried blowing more air on the burner, and thought it may have worked. But I don't think it did. Right now it's kind of cool in there, but not cold enough. It's definitely working a little though, and I'm feeling heat emanating from the vent in the back.

Oy. Do you have any idea what's going on here? Is this 40 year old fridge just on its way out, or is there something I can do? I know you're going to ask, so I'll just say right now that I have not tried running it off of propane. I probably should. It's silly but propane scares me a little. I also don't know how to light it. But I should give that a go... Anyway, your suggestions are most appreciated!

Thanks,
Emilie
Emilie W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:02 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A 3 way fridge has 3 heat sources. For propane operation there is a burner that needs periodic cleaning. AC operation and DC operation each have separate heating elements. If you have been running on shore power then only the AC element was in use. Your problem could be a bad element but I would be more inclined to suspect a bad connection or a bad switch. If there is temperature control on AC, then a bad thermostat is also a possibility. A resistance check with an ohmmeter is where I would start. Could be a loose connection or the switch needs some contact cleaner. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I agree with Raz, a simple check to see if it is just the 120V element is to run the fridge on propane to test it. If it cools with propane but not 120V then the problem is definitely in the AC heating element or wiring to the element (switch, connectors etc)
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

Name: Emilie
Trailer: Boler
Oregon
Thanks for your responses. I tried getting it to run on propane, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I follow the instructions, hold down the ignition button, depress the switch, and the flame comes on. I hold it for 20+ seconds, but when I release it the flame goes out. I've done this several times. Is the flame that I see supposed to go out, and is it maybe that the burner inside is on? Or should the flame stay lit after I release the ignition button?
Emilie W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Ours has quit a couple of times.
Someone on the forum here suggested I remove the fridge and invert it
for 24 hrs.
I did that and it started working again. I have done this twice over several years.
This is also a Tedco 3 way fridge.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie W. View Post
Thanks for your responses. I tried getting it to run on propane, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I follow the instructions, hold down the ignition button, depress the switch, and the flame comes on. I hold it for 20+ seconds, but when I release it the flame goes out. I've done this several times. Is the flame that I see supposed to go out, and is it maybe that the burner inside is on? Or should the flame stay lit after I release the ignition button?
U may need to clean or replace the thermal couple sensor
When the pilot light is on it heats the sensor, if the sensor is dirty or faulty it won't allow the pilot light to remain on. It's a safety feature in the propane side of the system.
fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #7

Name: Denis
Trailer: trillium 15
Ontario
could be a few things ???

the problem could be various things . probly best to have it looked at by someone who knows a bit about it . . Fred i have taken the trailer for a bumpy ride and solved it that way , saves taking the unit out . have fun finding out whats up with it ..
trilliumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Emilie.

For your propane flame going out it's most likely just a dirty jet that can be cleaned.

That's a yearly maintenance thing.

As Denis suggested "best to have it looked at by someone who knows a bit about it".

Turning it upside down will not help your problem on gas or electric.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #9

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Try holding the bypass button in for a longer period of time.
The thermocouple has to get warm enough to send a signal to the gas valve.

If the flame goes out after holding it in for a minute or so you may simply need a new thermocouple which is not expensive, difficult to change and are available at any hardware store..

If you have a flame when pressing the button your finger is doing what the thermocouple should do.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, refrigerator