Boler suspension - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Boler suspension

Has anyone in the Edmonton area had a local outfit replace the suspension with a Boler? I had the trailer out last year, felt fine, but this year it appears to be shot. I don't have the time or skillset to take this on myself but really want to get the trailer out next year.

So if anyone can A) recommend a place or person willing to take this one and provide me with an idea of what this may cost I would be sure be greatful.

I've fished around for some quotes but the places I've tried aren't getting back to me so I assume they're not interested in a project of this size.

DM
dmcclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
No, I haven't had the suspension replaced; however, I know that Standen's is a reasonable place to check. Although I am not familiar with the Edmonton location, the company certainly knows what it is doing.

There are trailer fabricators in Edmonton, so there certainly are places capable of doing the work. I don't know which ones are interested in repair work, though.

Dave, what type of places have you tried (e.g. RV shops, trailer repair, trailer builders, axle/suspension/spring shops...)?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Standen's in Edmonton supplied my axle.
They know what they are doing
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '73 Boler 1300
Alberta
We had Totem Welding do our frame rebuild, not sure if they do any suspension repair/replacement.

In my travelings, I came across these replacement swing-arms.

Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System with Hubs - 5 on 4-1/2 - Regular Tires - 2,000 lbs Timbren Trailer Suspension A20RS545

Something to consider.
Bruthah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #5

Name: Don
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700RGH
British Columbia
FYI Standens built a large amount of the factory Boler axles.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #6

Name: Val
British Columbia
Does anyone know of RV places that will repair or replace a 13' foot Boler frame in BC's Lower Mainland (Vancouver) area?? Mine is cracked and in Salmon Arm. I need to bring it back here by trailer, I guess, and find somewhere I can trust to fix it.
Val
valinnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

Name: Val
British Columbia
Question 13' Boler trailer frame repair or replacement

Does anyone know of RV places or welders that will repair or replace a 13' foot Boler frame in BC's Lower Mainland (Vancouver) area?? Mine is cracked and left in Salmon Arm (broke down first day out). I need to bring it back here by trailer, I guess, and find somewhere I can trust to fix it. And, does anyone know if you have to gut the shell to remove the trailer frame, or can you jack up the shell without removing all the innards? The interior is in really good shape since we worked on that all summer (we were assured the frame was rebuild (not!) )
Val
valinnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #8

Trailer builders could do either the axle replacement or the frame fix, but companies like Standen's do suspension (axles), not frames.

A flatbed trailer rental to bring the Boler home won't be cheap - it might be worth considering having the work done in Salmon Arm.

There are a few threads in this forum about removing the egg from the frame, because although most owners never have to do it, that still leaves many who have done it - I would search for those.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
There have also been a few threads on repairing a broken or damaged frame from underneath. Don't know if the damage in those is similar to what you have to repair.

Use the forum google search and you should turn up some of those threads and the ones Brian mentioned.

A solid patch job to get it home might be cheaper than flat bed, and depending on overall frame condition get you to the end of the season before having to take on a major rebuild.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
A solid patch job to get it home might be cheaper than flat bed, and depending on overall frame condition get you to the end of the season before having to take on a major rebuild.
If appropriate to the frame's condition, I think this could be a very reasonable approach.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by valinnes View Post
Does anyone know of RV places that will repair or replace a 13' foot Boler frame in BC's Lower Mainland (Vancouver) area?? Mine is cracked and in Salmon Arm. I need to bring it back here by trailer, I guess, and find somewhere I can trust to fix it.
Val
I would bet you can find a competant and less expensive shop in Salmon Arm and save the tow bill at the same time.
Almost any welding shop can easily repair those frames.
Very simple work for anyone that can weld really.
I would look for a 1 man welding, fabrication shop thats his business.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #12

Name: Don
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700RGH
British Columbia
Or you could get BCAA RV edition and wait a week

I'm pretty sure there is someone in salmon arm who could weld that up for you. Welding frames isn't 'easy' though. Also, you need a certified welder to patch frames to pass a DOT inspection.

Tags
boler