Boler VIN Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Casita Patriot 17'
California
Boler VIN Questions

I recently posted in the new users section about a Boler I just purchased... a gamble relative to the fact that it came without a registration. I figured it was worth the risk as there is a CA Lic Plate on it (I'm in CA) and I was told that this plate came with the last purchase, so hopefully I can track down what I need in order to get this registered in my name.

But I don't want to leave things to chance regarding just the plate so I started searching for the VIN. I can find nothing on the frame and there are no stickers that I'm able to find anywhere inside but there are two metal stickers dead center on the front that have been painted over.

I got some pretty fine grade sand paper and although a little aggressive at first, I spotted a number on the upper, smaller, of the two stickers right about in the center of the sticker. I started to lighten up on the sanding and I'm able to read a few of them, so now comes the question.

The number looks like "2227 75". I'm not sure about the first "7" or the space between the 7's is correct, or in other words, for sure it reads
"222 75". I'm a little nervous about getting more aggressive with the sand paper and I'm now using a green pad and some soap and water to try and clean it up more, but even that is getting a little risky.

Does anyone have any info on how Boler numbered their trailers? Does the above number make sense as a VIN?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John C.

After a little more delicate wet sanding on the sticker it looks like "A2227 75" Also, it is a Boler 13' Special Edition model (if that helps)... And man-o-man, does it need some TLC!
JCusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCusick View Post
Does anyone have any info on how Boler numbered their trailers? Does the above number make sense as a VIN?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John C.

After a little more delicate wet sanding on the sticker it looks like "A2227 75" Also, it is a Boler 13' Special Edition model (if that helps)... And man-o-man, does it need some TLC!
Hi John,

Do you know where it was made, and what year it is alleged to be? My former 74 Boler had a front sticker like you describe that related to the propane certification. There was a data sheet on the inside of a cupboard door that had a bunch of information, including the serial number. The actual serial number was on a sticker on the outside of the trailer aft of the fridge and furnace vents on the driver side. Mine had been painted over, but I was able to expose it somewhat with paint stripper and care.

Since Bolers were made in at least three different factories in Canada from about 1969 to 1980 or later, and clones made in a couple of places in the US under various names, knowing where yours was made would be a good first step in figuring out the identification.

Here is a picture of a typical data sheet and the outside sticker from a Boler. Hope that helps.
Rick G
Attached Thumbnails
nameplate english brighter.jpg   Boler Manufacturer plate.jpg  

Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Hi John,

Do you know where it was made, and what year it is alleged to be? My former 74 Boler had a front sticker like you describe that related to the propane certification. There was a data sheet on the inside of a cupboard door that had a bunch of information, including the serial number. The actual serial number was on a sticker on the outside of the trailer aft of the fridge and furnace vents on the driver side. Mine had been painted over, but I was able to expose it somewhat with paint stripper and care.

Since Bolers were made in at least three different factories in Canada from about 1969 to 1980 or later, and clones made in a couple of places in the US under various names, knowing where yours was made would be a good first step in figuring out the identification.

Here is a picture of a typical data sheet and the outside sticker from a Boler. Hope that helps.
Rick G
Thank You!!!

I found the sticker I believe, well painted over and I'm afraid to even think about trying to take the paint off!

But I was able to get a pencil and lightweight paper to do the old detective trick and I raised the following (and only) line

3300 GF-2097-T 5/16/75

I'm not 100% solid on the "GF-2097-T" portion, possibly GR or G7 but it looks mostly like an F to me if I catch it right with a magnifying glass and no sunlight glare at the right angle at.... etc. I think it's an F

Does this number as an SN make sense?

Thanks Again, Rick, great help!

Regards,

John C.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #4

California
Quote:
Thank You!!!

But I was able to get a pencil and lightweight paper to do the old detective trick and I raised the following (and only) line

3300 GF-2097-T 5/16/75

I'm not 100% solid on the "GF-2097-T" portion, possibly GR or G7 but it looks mostly like an F to me if I catch it right with a magnifying glass and no sunlight glare at the right angle at.... etc. I think it's an F
OK, I put the paint stripper on and it took all the paint but I was still able to read most of it.

It was definitely made by Glass-Fab Industries, Peace River, Alberta

Model: 1300
SN: GF-2097-T
Date 5/16/75

I was a little concerned on the date based on the SN posting thread for Boler which seemed to indicate that Glass-Fab made them only to about 1972. This is definitely a 1975 1300 Special Edition.

I also found out that getting this re-licensed in CA will not be a problem as long as I have a Bill Of Sale, which I do. Apparently 13 footers are pretty easy to deal with, some sort of special dispensation on small trailers here in CA.

Thanks for the feedback on finding the SN to all.

Now the real work begins :-)

JC
Old 06-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Apparently 13 footers are pretty easy to deal with, some sort of special dispensation on small trailers here in CA.
That means it has California PTI plates. You will be able to get it registered, (or more precisely legally "Identified") but you won't obtain a Title, which isn't available within the PTI program.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
That means it has California PTI plates. You will be able to get it registered, (or more precisely legally "Identified") but you won't obtain a Title, which isn't available within the PTI program.
That's OK with me. I can live with that. As it happens, my home state of NY, where I'll be eventually, never even required any title on any vehicle until 1976 (they used a "registration" system and never issued titles until then), so this should never be an issue for me. NY and California will both accept a registration as far as this is concerned, which means I can legally put it on the road... and ultimately that is all that really matters.

It is now safe to put more than elbow grease into the restoration.

Regards,

John C
Old 09-22-2023, 07:13 PM   #7

Name: Tracey
Trailer: Boler
BC
Thank you Rick G for posting the picture of your sticker. I didn't even know what it was.
A previous owner had sanded and mostly painted it.

Even in 2023 this post is still helpful to owners like me who are trying to verify the year.
The important #s on my sticker were just barely legible but I was able to find my boler was made in Winnipeg 1/74! (Jan of 1974)
I was able to just barely make out my serial# too.
I had to take a picture of it with my cell phone and zoom in. I used your picture to locate the placement of the important stuff. Whew! Thanks again!

Tags
boler, vin