Bolts and Walls - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
I discovered yesterday that the bolts at the front of my Trillium, under the bunk are not doing anything. They are just filling space in the hole with no nuts attached. That's a bit scary. I searched along the steel tube frame for other empty holes but found none. I am assuming that the rest of the bolts are lags which only go through the top of the steel tube. Inside the trailer there are a few empty holes in the fiberglass above the frame that have been filled with silicone...also scary. This has just become my first priority. I found rectangular U bolts at Home Depot that are 5/16" x 2" wide and 5" long. I think they'll fit nicely around the steel tube and be a good alternative to drilling into the steel All the holes look like key holes and I don't want to add to the damage. I will put one at each side under the front bunk where the original bolts were and two on each side under the rear seats. I'll install them with a large plate washer to spread the pressure out and lock washers. Does this seem like a reasonable solution?

Another thing I've been looking into is the interior liner. The stuff that is there now is NOT ensolite but fiberglass (like the insulation in your house walls) with a vinyl skin. It needs to be replaced. Has anyone ever used a foam undercushion for carpeting? It is a closed cell foam that I think must be similar to Ensolite but without the vinyl skin. Ensolite type material seems to be very hard to locate, I need an reasonable alternative.
Thanks
Rob L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Rob,

It would be interesting to see a photo of what's on your Trillium walls. The ones I've seen have all had Ensolite - maybe yours were replaced.

While I haven't found a source for the Ensolite with the "white" vinyl skin bonded to it*, plain Ensolite is not hard to find (and it is eminently paintable). IR Foam specialty (linked in sources to left) has many thicknesses and densities.

Raya

* I also stopped looking for it when I bought a trailer with Ensolite in fine condition, so I'm not saying it is not out there.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Hi Rob,

It would be interesting to see a photo of what's on your Trillium walls. The ones I've seen have all had Ensolite - maybe yours were replaced.

While I haven't found a source for the Ensolite with the "white" vinyl skin bonded to it*, plain Ensolite is not hard to find (and it is eminently paintable). IR Foam specialty (linked in sources to right) has many thicknesses and densities.

Raya

* I also stopped looking for it when I bought a trailer with Ensolite in fine condition, so I'm not saying it is not out there.
I will try to post a picture later today.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #4

Registry
Here's a pic of the existing lining...gross

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2476_1.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	25076
Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #5

Wow, it looks like someone used accoustical ceiling tiles. Geez! I can see why you are going to replace it.

I haven't found anything I like better than Ensolite (although I like double-hulled trailers too, you're probably not going to add a hull!).

That said, I know that others have different preferences (carpet, rat fur, etc.).

Raya
Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Wow, it looks like someone used accoustical ceiling tiles. Geez! I can see why you are going to replace it.

I haven't found anything I like better than Ensolite (although I like double-hulled trailers too, you're probably not going to add a hull!).

That said, I know that others have different preferences (carpet, rat fur, etc.).

Raya
I'm leaning toward Ensolite too. If I can find it. I can't stand the idea of ordering way more than I need. I need to find a local source for it or something similar.
Have you painted Ensolite?
Rob
Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #7

Hi Rob,

I haven't painted Ensolite. I researched buying it because when I was trailer shopping, I came across one that needed new wallcovering (but then I found one with the Ensolite in fine condition).

I have, however, read many many threads in which people told about successfully painting the existing Ensolite. Also a woman named Jenny refurbished a Boler in which they installed new Ensolite (from IR Foam Specialty, whom I mentioned above). The Ensolite they bought was dark grey, and without a vinyl inner layer, and they painted it from the get-go (a light color). She has a thread that shows and tells about the process, and how much foam they used.

Ensolite talk starts at post #5:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=30915

During the aforementioned research, I got some samples from IR Foam Specialty - wanted to see thicknesses and densities for myself. They were very pleasant, and sell lots of different kinds.

It would be nice to be able to get the type with the "white" vinyl bonded to it, and it may be available, but I haven't seen it in my surfing.

Raya
Old 11-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Rob
Holy Cow that is a bizarre application for ceiling tile.
I would look into the Scamp Rat Fur as they will sell it to you,it is proven and I like it better than the Ensolite in both of the Trill I have had.

On a more serious note,I like the U-bolt idea you have. I too would be reluctant to drill the frame rails more of the u-bolts have some good metal to grab on to.
I would be worried until I secured the front that the body would rock back and forth on the frame.

This makes me wonder too if your 1300 has been beefed up where the frame rails go under the front edge of the body?
I will assume you know what I am asking about? If not,know there were recalls from the Canadian Gov. about this and you NEED to address it if it has not been done.

If in doubt take a picture of this area and let us see it here.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Be certain the U-bolts you use are a high enough grade of steel. Typically "hardware" stores only sell mild-steel, they'll rust quickly and won't last long. I'd be looking to purchase Grade 5 which is designed for automotive use.

Truckspring.com - Threaded Rod, U-Bolts, Steel Rod, Custom U-Bolts
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Rob
I would look into the Scamp Rat Fur as they will sell it to you,it is proven and I like it better than the Ensolite in both of the Trill I have had.

On a more serious note,I like the U-bolt idea you have. I too would be reluctant to drill the frame rails more of the u-bolts have some good metal to grab on to.
I would be worried until I secured the front that the body would rock back and forth on the frame.

This makes me wonder too if your 1300 has been beefed up where the frame rails go under the front edge of the body?
I will assume you know what I am asking about? If not,know there were recalls from the Canadian Gov. about this and you NEED to address it if it has not been done.

Ed
Ed,
I don't think this has been done on my 1300. There are no plates welded to the frame in that area. I haven't seen any signs of a crack either tho. I'll take a closer look when I get home. Looks like I'd better take care of this asap. Thanks
Rob
Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Be certain the U-bolts you use are a high enough grade of steel. Typically "hardware" stores only sell mild-steel, they'll rust quickly and won't last long. I'd be looking to purchase Grade 5 which is designed for automotive use.

Truckspring.com - Threaded Rod, U-Bolts, Steel Rod, Custom U-Bolts

That sounds like good advice. Thanks Donna
R
Old 11-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Rob

Ed
I had a closer look at that part of the frame. The welded plates have not been done. I didn't see any signs of a crack either though. Still, after 36 years of fatigue and some minor surface rust...it's not getting any stronger on its own. I'm going to have it done.
Thanks Ed
R