Bottling up electrical connections - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #1

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
California
Talking Bottling up electrical connections

Keeping the "shore power" plugs dry here in the Pacific Northwet can be challenging. Here's a simple thing that seems to work pretty well. Cut the bottom out of a 2 Liter Mountain Dew bottle (must be MD or it won't work... ;-) Make a slit up one side terminated just before it necks down toward the lid, and cut a few short cuts to make an asterisk * shape at the end. Slide it over the cable and voila` instant umbrella. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails
56539255_403063940475785_2813624464200171520_n.jpg  
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Nice fix Anthony and thanks for the heads up on a MD bottle. I've got a couple Coke bottles but they must not be up to the amps .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Sorry, but honestly, I think that looks really tacky.
Why not just get something made to do what you're trying to do. Like these...

https://www.amazon.com/Cord-Connect-...SIN=B0092P32HC
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Got to agree w/Gregg
Not for me but it does give me some ideas
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #5

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
This is a good idea. I've been looking for a way to rainproof the connection. None of the manufactured covers I have found have been big enough to hold the plug that comes on the camper.
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Hale View Post
This is a good idea. I've been looking for a way to rainproof the connection. None of the manufactured covers I have found have been big enough to hold the plug that comes on the camper.
Of course, that can be changed too. I installed a Marine style 30 Amp twist lock male power inlet and a cord which just plugs on and twists to lock up. They also make them for 20 Amp regular "house style" plug ends as well. Just cut the end off inside and attach it to the screw terminals of the outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
New Electrical Hatch2.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
I don't know if that is a good idea Anthony. That green cable does not look like it could handle 30 Amps, and why would you need an extension like that.
I'd think twice about using a set up like that. Does not look safe to me.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #8

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Love it! Great idea. Sure would get a guy out of a bind.
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #9

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
Keeping the "shore power" plugs dry here in the Pacific Northwet can be challenging. Here's a simple thing that seems to work pretty well. Cut the bottom out of a 2 Liter Mountain Dew bottle (must be MD or it won't work... ;-) Make a slit up one side terminated just before it necks down toward the lid, and cut a few short cuts to make an asterisk * shape at the end. Slide it over the cable and voila` instant umbrella. Hope this helps someone.
One way to keep the plugs dry but it looks like you are using a 20 amp extension cord with a converter type plug for your 30 amp service. Not a good idea if using more than lights. The bottle set up would work for a 30 amp extension cord also.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post

I've got some of these cord protectors but they seem to fall apart and they are not water proof.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I've got some of these cord protectors but they seem to fall apart and they are not water proof.

And they are not big enough. :-(
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #12

Indiana
Yeah and tool boxes.

I have done that a number of times.

1 liters will work pretty good for regular cords. And if I have to make junction out in the field to hook my 30A extension to my 30A plug for my scamp I use a tool box. I have a tool box I use to hold the blocks for leveling my scamp. It has notches in the ends. I run the cords through the notches, connect the plugs and then close the box. Get a bit of water in the bottom, but the connection stays dry.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Layton 22 ft / 2004 Ram-Cummins 2500 2wd
I have a plastic 14" tool box that I use to carry a standard RV water pump (used for obtaining fresh water from lake/river to fill transfer vessels), but never thought of modifying it for cord connect weather shielding.
Another job before season start!
Note: Our 30 Amp RV plug-in at home is fed by a 20 Amp Breaker and 20 Amp GFCI (because of wire size and proximity to grade). It's totally legal and adequate, unless I get stupid and try to operate all the 120 Volt appliances at the same time, at which time it will 'pop' the feed breaker, protecting the wire, which is the limiting factor on max breaker sizing. I also have a second circuit (20 Amp GFCI) at the diagonally opposite corner of my garage, that can service another RV, if needed.
Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #14

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
gotta wonder....

why not stuff both plugs just inside and close that lid with the cut-out/slide that's already there ? (???).....I must be missing something
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #15

There are some problems with just stuffing the connections back inside: If both sides you are using are 30 Amp right-angle, it might fit behind the 'Door', but the 'Rodent Blocker' would soon deform to where it doesn't work. If you're using a 30 Amp to 15 Amp adapter in addition to the two cord ends, I think you'd be hard pressed to close the 'Door', the Rodent Blocker would surely be destroyed, and you'd stand a good chance of dropping the cord and/or adapter off behind the wall.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #16

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
why not stuff both plugs just inside and close that lid with the cut-out/slide that's already there ? (???).....I must be missing something

If that is referencing my use of my tool box, what cut out os slide?
Old 04-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #17

I believe Franswa was assuming the 'Shore Power' was within reach of an extension cord, but not the 'Captive' RV cord.
I also think he's referring to the slide (with cut-out) in the stock port 'Door'.
I, personally, think your 'Tool Box' idea is great, and should even work with my extension. It's a 30 Amp RV receptacle mounted in a sealed, cast aluminum, weatherproof duplex box.
Pump box mod coming up!
Old 04-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
A wet cord is not at all on my list of things to worry about but I don't see any harm if it's troublesome to others other than being a little tacky. But that too is in the eye of the beholder.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #19

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Great Idea

I love this idea. Thank you for sharing. Always good to re-purpose items when you can. Also, I have that same green extension cord that I use when I am at home. Your set up looks just like ours.
SusanandPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #20

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
California
You are correct

It does indeed look really tacky. Perhaps that's it's charm. As for buying something made for the purpose, I tired, but the plug that came with my rig is a right angle plug and will not fit in the appliance to which you linked. I am still seeking a more elegant solution, but this was a quick and dirty fix until I can find such a thing.

Yellowjacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post

Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical