bouncy bouncy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We bought our 13' 1982 Scamp 3 years ago. It seems like it bounces a lot when we're towing it. I remember reading a while back that there's something in the axle that may need to be replaced for the trailer to ride more smoothly. We are not very mechanically inclined and will have to rely on someone else to inspect & determine what is needed. Can anyone explain what we need to have checked, replaced, etc. so that we will be somewhat informed? Thanks!!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You mean like replace the entire axle? If it's the original axle, I'd say on a 25 year old trailer... it's due to be replaced. Consider brakes at the same time.

If you type +axle +replace in Search, you'll find a whole bunch of topics. Wax and axles are the two most popular topics.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Hi Sandra - it would help to know:

Has your trailer had shocks added to it (probably not)?

What size and type (S, P, LT) of tires you have on the trailer?

What pressure do you have in the tires when traveling?

What is the weight on the tongue and on the axle when loaded for travel?

What is the distance from the top of the tires to the top of the wheel well?

Is your axle 'leading' (wheels attach to arm in front of the axle - probably not), or 'trailing' (wheels attach to arm behind the axle - more likely)?

Answers to those questions will help others give better suggestions about your 'bouncing'.
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 AM   #4

Don,
Good questions--I'll get the answers & post them ASAP. The only thing I can tell you right now is that the trailer does not have shocks.

Donna,
Thanks for the search tips! I'll check that out.

Sandra
Old 12-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
We bought our 13' 1982 Scamp 3 years ago. It seems like it bounces a lot when we're towing it. I remember reading a while back that there's something in the axle that may need to be replaced for the trailer to ride more smoothly. We are not very mechanically inclined and will have to rely on someone else to inspect & determine what is needed. Can anyone explain what we need to have checked, replaced, etc. so that we will be somewhat informed? Thanks!!
Sandra
Sandra, In my opinion you have one of 2 problems. Your tires are over inflated or you need a new axle.
The rubber inside the torsion axles are the shock absorbers and it is not replaceable. At 25 years old your axel is at the normal limit of it's life.
Merry Christmas.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
The rubber inside the torsion axles are the shock absorbers and it is not replaceable.
Well, the rubber is really the springs and a minimal damper (which we usually call a shock absorber), but I agree that it's not replaceable and likely worn out.

Imagine a car with the spring collapsed so it's down on the bump stops... the ride is harsh and it bounces when it hits a bump. The same thing happens when the rubber in one of these axle assemblies gets squashed permanently flat and no longer springy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:00 PM   #7

So, if we need to replace the axle, any idea how much that might co$t?
Sandra
Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
So, if we need to replace the axle, any idea how much that might co$t?
Sandra
Sandra, from Scamp, an axle for a 13' without brakes starts at $300 plus installation.

However, there are a number of suppliers out there who can get them directly from Dexter at a substantial discount. I bought a Dexter #10 axle (the next heavier from what you need) with brakes custom built by Dexter for my application for under $300 from Midwest Wheel a couple of years ago. It pays to shop around.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Although it has been about 5 yrs, I got mine (like Roger's) for right around $300 from Redneck Trailer Supply. I had arranged for a local welder to put it on so when it came in, I picked it up and took it and the trailer to the welder.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #10

Great information! I would really like to get this done before spring. Thanks!
Sandra
Old 12-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Great information! I would really like to get this done before spring.
Sandra - don't forget - replace your axle only if you need to. Or, perhaps because you don't have trailer brakes now and want to add the brakes.

It would be too bad to go through the expense and effort of replacing the axle only to find out that was not the cause of your 'bounce'. Do you know if the axle was ever replaced by the previous owner(s)?

How much clearance do you have between the top of your tire and the wheel well above it? If you have more than 3 inches clearance when the trailer is loaded for travel, the axle does not need to be replaced due to worn rubber inserts. Three inches or less then it is a candidate for replacement.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
How much clearance do you have between the top of your tire and the wheel well above it? If you have more than 3 inches clearance when the trailer is loaded for travel, the axle does not need to be replaced due to worn rubber inserts. Three inches or less then it is a candidate for replacement.
We have an 82 13 scamp and I don't think the axle has been replaced. Bounce doesn't seem bad. Question on the 3" clearance. Would that be from the original scamp tires? What if the tires that are on currently are a bigger tire then what scamp outfits? How do you figure what would be acceptable wheel well clearance?
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Question on the 3" clearance. Would that be from the original scamp tires? What if the tires that are on currently are a bigger tire then what scamp outfits?
If I had less than 3 inches of clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well, no matter what size/type of tire, I would want to do something about it.
Don