Brackets for Stabilizer Jacks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Bambi
Brackets for Stabilizer Jacks

I bought 4 stabilizers jacks today and have found that I need a bracket to mount them to so they will fold properly for use. I want them to fold back alongside the frame but when placing the face of them to the frame it's obvious that they don't work like I want them to. I turned them the other way and it's a no go also.

Searched sites that sell them and can't find any mounting brackets on any of them. Is it something that I will have to have made???

Can someone please guide me 2 a photo or post one of how these things are mounted to the frame?

Thanks much,
JD
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04550.JPG  
Jane D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane D. View Post
I bought 4 stabilizers jacks today and have found that I need a bracket to mount them to so they will fold properly for use. I want them to fold back alongside the frame but when placing the face of them to the frame it's obvious that they don't work like I want them to. I turned them the other way and it's a no go also.

Searched sites that sell them and can't find any mounting brackets on any of them. Is it something that I will have to have made???

Can someone please guide me 2 a photo or post one of how these things are mounted to the frame?

Thanks much,
JD
The jack in your picture is is in the down (deployed) position.
The two holes on the top next to the hand in the picture are designed to be bolted to a flat plate with the bolts in a vertical position, like under the angle iron bumper. I'll look for some photos....

Look here and scroll down. There are instructions and drawings from Scamp on deployment...

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Portals...nersManual.pdf

Also this video shows the operation of the jacks as part of the set-up for camping...
http://www.scamptrailers.com/Portals...osingASpot.swf
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I think Floyd is right, I think that you're trying to put them on wrong and in the wrong spot.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
They go on the inside of that outside corner and when retracted fit up between the bumper and the rail, pointing to the middle. That way you extend then toward you and they will protrude somewhat underneath towards the side. You need to weld a flat piece over that corner and drill 2 holes and attach to that flat piece. This jack bracket will also strengthen your bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00927.jpg   DSC00928.jpg  

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Bambi
Stab jacks

Thanks all for the info and the photo really clears it up. Didn't know if I could buy brackets made for it or I would have to get them made. Now I know.

I figured that it had to be a vertical mount to use them correctly, I wasn't trying to mount them as shown. I put the wrong photo up, I took that to show the place that sold them to me that they were not meant to be mounted like they said to do it.

Welder is coming to pick up the frame on Saturday so the plan is all set to go now. Make it stronger add a new coupler, stab jacks, tongue jack, spare tire carrier, etc.....

Thanks again for all the help!
JD
Jane D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Jane, Mine are mounted in the vertical position as in Jim's picture but by drilling two holes in the bumper. When you travel, they fold up under the bumper and are out of the way and can barely be seen. rb
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Baker View Post
Jane, Mine are mounted in the vertical position as in Jim's picture but by drilling two holes in the bumper. When you travel, they fold up under the bumper and are out of the way and can barely be seen. rb
Mine are also mounted vertically, which I think was factory-welded for my Trillium, but on the frame just in front of the bumper. You can see in this picture.

Rick G
Attached Thumbnails
rear bumper.JPG  
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Mine are also mounted vertically, which I think was factory-welded for my Trillium, but on the frame just in front of the bumper. You can see in this picture.

Rick G
In looking at your picture, I wonder if you would benefit by having a plate welded, similar to mine that creates a corner at the bumper/frame connection.
I was amazed at the difference between having the welds replaced on by bumper at that location with the amount of play on my bumper created by the spare bouncing. Before the welds, my spare would shake back and forth (probably the reason the welds were broken) afterwards, there is no shake when you hit my spare. That whole corner where the bracket is attached to the bumper/frame is a weak spot(IMHO) and the more reinforcement the better.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In looking at your picture, I wonder if you would benefit by having a plate welded, similar to mine that creates a corner at the bumper/frame connection.
I was amazed at the difference between having the welds replaced on by bumper at that location with the amount of play on my bumper created by the spare bouncing. Before the welds, my spare would shake back and forth (probably the reason the welds were broken) afterwards, there is no shake when you hit my spare. That whole corner where the bracket is attached to the bumper/frame is a wrap spot(IMHO) and the more reinforcement. the better.
Actually, we decided to eliminate the kickstand stabilizers altogether and replace them with BAL stabilizers.
While the kickstand type worked well, we had one fall apart on the road and that precipitated the change.
It has proven to be one of the best mods we have made to our Scamp.
Please read the review (which I wrote after the install)
Here is the item...
BAL Deluxe Telescopic Stabilizing Jacks - JCWhitney
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0003.JPG   DSCF0011.JPG  

DSCF0007.JPG   DSCF0012.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was amazed at the difference between having the welds replaced on by bumper at that location with the amount of play on my bumper created by the spare bouncing. Before the welds, my spare would shake back and forth (probably the reason the welds were broken) afterwards, there is no shake when you hit my spare. That whole corner where the bracket is attached to the bumper/frame is a wrap spot(IMHO) and the more reinforcement. the better.
An interesting thought, but it doesn't seem necessary in my case. The spare tire is very solidly mounted. It is made of L-bracket steel arms with a couple of cross members, welded on securely to the bumper. I wanted to remove the spare tire holder to install a rear storage box, but it is so solid that I could not bring myself to do it. Thanks for the consideration, though.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote