Brand New Scamp Door Problems - Help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
California
Question Brand New Scamp Door Problems - Help!

We have a brand new 2013 scamp 16' with a door thats REALLY HARD to close. Especially from the inside. I'm 180lbs, and I have to grab two handles from the inside, make sure the handle is down so the latch isnt in the way, and pull with most of my weight to get the latch to catch.

Here are a couple videos of me and my wife struggling with the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...zFWBxGCnw#t=12

You will see in the video too, that the there is a stress fracture around the strike plate of the door now, so now that needs to get repaired too. Anybody have any thoughts on whether or not this is fixable? or will this be an ongoing problem?

We are also in Southern California, and there aren't a bunch of scamps nearby that I can check out and compare to.

Can anybody who owns a recent model scamp please share a video of what its like opening and closing the door in their scamp? Or maybe show a picture of the interior door handle against the strike plate? I've googled a bunch and haven't really found anything.

Thanks for any help/advice you guys can provide.

Steve
stevesigler73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #2

California
One more thing

I forgot to mention that the weather stripping is falling off on the lower right side of the door from the rubbing of the door agains the body as it closes. Normal???
Old 09-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We had much the same problem with our 2005 Scamp 5er. I took the inside plate off the door and made up a 1/4" piece of plywood that had the same matching shape and holes as the base plate of the latch, including for the little "lock" key pin. I screwed the latch back in place in on top of this piece of plywood, and our problem was solved.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The door latch on my 92 is the same as your 2013 - same issue. Peter's fix was also my fix on the problem.

If you use the search function on this forum (use the bottom google option) and search on the topic of Scamp door weather stripping you will find that everyone has the problem. A number of different fixes for the issue. Scamp will confirm they are having problems with the glue that holds the foam in place. I have replaced mine a number of times since I got the trailer and this year put on a different more solid rubber weather stripping... only been on a couple of months so to early to say if its a keeper or not.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Scamp
Looking at your video I see one major problem.
The first thing the scamp salesman instructed me on was closing the door.
He stressed do not 'slam' close the door! You will break the fiberglass!
From the outside hold the handle down fully retracting the latch, push the door shut and then release the handle.
From the inside with the right hand, hold the handle down fully retracting the latch, with the left hand pull the door shut with the loop in the center of the door and then release the handle.
I see in the video you are trying to do that but at times are not.
I hope this helps, but the damage is already done.
I added an extra large handle on the inside to help pull the door as the dinky handle scamp provides in my opinion is not sufficient.
With the little ones, the above is almost impossible to achieve.
I wish scamp would modify their door closing design to be more like a regular travel trailer or house latch.
Joe N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #6

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Steve, I would at least call Scamp and tell them the problem. The video is damaging to them and should have been sent to them first to see if they would help you. I am interested because I have a 16 on order with them now. I had a 5er previously with no issues with the door however I too would use the handle when closing the door. It appears though that you could use an epoxy glue to repair the crack and then use the shim idea that the others used to relieve the stress that is causing the hard to open/close problem. Whatever you do don't use Gorilla glue, it's worthless. Use a two part resin that you mix first made for fiberglass.
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If that was my only issue on a brand new trailer I'd learn to live with it, maybe after some miles and use it will get easier. If after awhile it is still hard, then I'd try to fix it. It is far better to be snug than loose.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #8

California
Thanks everyone for the taking the time to reply! Very helpful. Believe me. I tried searching this forum before posting. I guess Im not a very good searcher because I still cant find anything. Maybe its me. Again though thanks for the replies.

This is a brand new trailer that we paid scamp to deliver to us. We are over 2000 miles from the factory. We had only really seen videos, pics and a few in person at campgrounds. We weren't scrutinizing the functionality of the doors so much at the time. Just trying to figure out what "Normal" is.

Scamp is aware of this and is working with us to fix this problem, however the difficulty we're running into presently is finding a place locally that can and will take the fiberglass repair job. Im just trying to determine if this trailer is "normal" or defective. Like maybe the door is warped or something.

Im also afraid that installing a shim on the interior door handle will result in other problems like the door not actually sealing.

Again, thanks everyone for helping me out with your experience!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesigler73 View Post
Scamp is aware of this and is working with us to fix this problem, however the difficulty we're running into presently is finding a place locally that can and will take the fiberglass repair job.
Steve a boat repair facility would be your best bet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #10

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Steve,
Other than the door, how do you like the Scamp? It seems that the kids like it.
K
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Sometimes a little oil can solve what appears to be large problems.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #12

California
So... what? nobody has videos of their scamp door opening and closing on youtube? Ha ha. I guess that was a tall order.

Other than the door being barely usable and the critically unfortunate cracking of the fiberglass, I think this trailer will be a lot of fun, and is, for the most part what we expected. It looks great. It's the perfect size for manageable towing and seems like we could live in it for a long weekender or even a week long getaway.

We're very excited about it and can't wait to get out there. I don't have any experience with any kind of travel trailer. Everything is new. I haven't used this trailer for camping anywhere yet. I've only tested things like the AC, the fridge, electrical things. Havent even turned on the gas yet, or run water through it. Hope there are no plumbing issues. How I like this trailer is going to be pretty irrelevant with our total lack of experience or anything to compare it to.

It hasn't been rained on, or put to the test in any way. It sounds like we may have to just take on the problems as they arise and address them one by one. I think my wife and I just need to lower our expectations on fit, finish, and trim a bit, and realize that this is two steps up from a tent, one step up from a pop-top, and relax and have fun with it.

I think the 2 year old is excited. She loves to hang out in the trailer. Very fun as an extra room addition to our tiny 1100 sq ft home. However my 13 year old daughter, not so much. She is willing put up with the cramped bunks because she loves hiking with me so much. : ) Since the weather is so nice around here most of the time, maybe I'll just pitch her her own tent outside to give her some space.

Scamp has been very helpful so far in getting these issues resolved. I'm confident things will get worked out one way or another. Thanks again for all the thoughts, even the one about OIL. lol.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesigler73 View Post
So... what? nobody has videos of their scamp door opening and closing on youtube? Ha ha. I guess that was a tall order.

Other than the door being barely usable and the critically unfortunate cracking of the fiberglass, I think this trailer will be a lot of fun, and is, for the most part what we expected. It looks great. It's the perfect size for manageable towing and seems like we could live in it for a long weekender or even a week long getaway.

We're very excited about it and can't wait to get out there. I don't have any experience with any kind of travel trailer. Everything is new. I haven't used this trailer for camping anywhere yet. I've only tested things like the AC, the fridge, electrical things. Havent even turned on the gas yet, or run water through it. Hope there are no plumbing issues. How I like this trailer is going to be pretty irrelevant with our total lack of experience or anything to compare it to.

It hasn't been rained on, or put to the test in any way. It sounds like we may have to just take on the problems as they arise and address them one by one. I think my wife and I just need to lower our expectations on fit, finish, and trim a bit, and realize that this is two steps up from a tent, one step up from a pop-top, and relax and have fun with it.

I think the 2 year old is excited. She loves to hang out in the trailer. Very fun as an extra room addition to our tiny 1100 sq ft home. However my 13 year old daughter, not so much. She is willing put up with the cramped bunks because she loves hiking with me so much. : ) Since the weather is so nice around here most of the time, maybe I'll just pitch her her own tent outside to give her some space.

Scamp has been very helpful so far in getting these issues resolved. I'm confident things will get worked out one way or another. Thanks again for all the thoughts, even the one about OIL. lol.

I wasn't kidding about the oil or petroleum jelly solving a lot of problems. I bought my Scamp new and have had to lubricate the door latch, the latch on the table leg, and the stabilizers just to name a few problems that lubrication solved.

It's too bad the delivery guy didn't show you how to close the door to prevent damage.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I second what Byron said. Lubricate the door mechanism. The handle on ours was very stiff until I oiled it and then used some spray grease in it. It took more than one application for it to work properly. It has to be re-done once or twice a year. I also had the same problem with the table leg.

Sandy C.
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
I too have a new 16' Scamp, picked up at the factory. We were shown how to close the door by pressing on the outside and pulling on the inner handle. Closing has been difficult. I tried WD40 on it. Helped some. I will consider remounting the latching mechanism. Our lower molding is folding over out of position some, but still seals the door. the left edge of the bottom molding has peeled loose. I planned to glue them. I believe the curve of the door contributes to the folded molding.

I appreciate the warning about avoiding actions that will crack the fiberglass. We have driven through terrible downpours and flooded streets. Found some dampness in a lower storage cavity, but not around the door. The Scamp did quite well considering the conditions.

David
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp