Bring the bunks back - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
You mean by using a flange?
Shower curtain flange
That looks promising, but it still wouldn't really lock them in.

I did find this which is based on the same idea but has a certain retaining ability. Maybe it could be retrofitted into the end of each pole.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Drill holes through the flange and post -- If straight, use cotter pin, it not straight use wire.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sounds like you need something with a sleeve that goes over the pole, then a cotter pin or something to keep the two pieces together? But if the sleeve was too long, it would interfere with the back laying properly against the front of the trailer when in the down position.

hummmmm thinking
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Muggins Pete! We're thinking along the same lines
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
Hi , on my boler i'm missing the top bunk portion . I do have the protrustion below the window for the bunk but do not know how this is fastened . is this part hinged to flip up ? I'm guessing it is . It would seem to me that there must be a 2 x 3 on the hinged side to allow for the upper bunk to be high enough for someone to use the bottom one . Hopefully i have described this properly . Can anyone help me figure this out ? Pictures are a big plus . Thank you . Perry
Perry Mac Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #26

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Perry,

I'll describe how the upper bunk attaches on my 1974 Boler. You can see what I'm talking about in the upper photo in post #13 of this thread (that's my Boler).

There is no extra board or 2x3. The way it works is that there are two hinges that mount to the top of that lip (the protrusion) and then also to the back of the seat back, up near the top of the seat back. They are a normal "hinge" shape, like the hinges on the interior door of a house.

Because of the way the hinges do their thing, the seat back ends up higher than the lip when you make it into a bunk (you can see this in the photo on post #13 also). Voila!

If you look on the top of the lip (protrusion), perhaps you will see where the hinges were mounted to it. On mine there are three holes at each end of the lip (right and left, out pretty close to the ends of the lip).

On the seat back the holes are harder to see, because they just go into the upholstery without much of a fuss.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
They are a normal "hinge" shape, like the hinges on the interior door of a house.
It looks like you have the same hinges in your pictures as I do in mine. They are not a "normal" hinge but an [b]offset hinge. That is what allows the bunk to move up and towards the window as it is put into postion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hinge.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	18572
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #28

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks for clarifying what I said Roy. I had one thing in mind, but expressed it un-clearly (bad me!). I meant to say that they were rectangular, two-part hinges with three fasteners on each side; that's what I meant by normal shaped (vs. strap hinges or piano hinges or whatever). But I mistakenly implied that they worked like normal hinges, which they don't!

Thanks for catching that and adding the illustration to the thread.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #29

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Thanks for catching that and adding the illustration to the thread.
You are welcome Raya. I noticed after posting that the hinge shown with the wood is upside down from how it is used in our trailers and equally deceptive. Maybe somebody with the right software can fix it up and show it it works with our bunks.

All I know is that when I took mine off I had a heck of a time getting them back on right. I kept wanting to put them on backwards for some reason. Must have been a bad day.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #30

Trailer: Boler 1984
A couple of years ago there was a topic about building a set of bunks. Near the end I sent some photos of the construction of our Boler. Maybe it'll help here too. Check the photos on page three.
Boler Couch
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote