Broken window in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #1

Name: Chas
Trailer: Escape 21 - previously 16' Scamp
Washington
Broken window in Scamp

We have a 2002 16' Scamp - floor plan 6. The fixed glass in the rear drivers side window is shattered. Looks like someone shot it with a bb gun.

a)Can the glass be replaced at all, or do we have to replace the entire window?

b)If it's possible to replace just the glass can the it be replaced while the window is still mounted or do we have to remove the window?

c)Does anyone know where we can buy either the glass or the entire window assembly? I didn't notice either on the Scamp web site.

We're planning on selling the Scamp in August and I can't bring myself to offering it with the window broken.

Thanks,
Charlie
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
Hi, I broke a side window once too. Luckily I was already taking it out to re-seal. I took the frame to a local glass shop and they replaced it in a couple days for around $30. It's easy to do if you can remove the window on your own. Once it is removed, new butyl will have to be installed. If your trailer is newer, there may be screws which is easier than 34 rivets to remove and install. Others have been there, done that so maybe others have better solutions.

Hope that helps, Jamie
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:17 AM   #3

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Forest River
Ontario
Yeah! I think the glass can be replaced.
JenniferBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
You should be able to have a new piece made at a glass shop. Once you take the glazing bead out (pulls out easily once started with needle nosed pliers) you can see how the fixed glass piece is glued onto the frame. The shop can measure that part, and while waiting the glazing bead can be re-inserted easily with your thumb or the handle part of a screwdriver while you wait for the glass shop to cut your piece.
I never removed the fixed piece, but it looks like you can use a razor type scraper blade from the inside to separate the remaining pieces from the inside frame, and then re-glue the new piece in place. The glass shop should be able to do that for you.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #5

Washington
Thanks for all the the advice. Communications with Scamp indicate that they can sell me either glass or plexiglass replacement. I think I'll go with the plexiglass.

I'm familiar with removing the window, and luckily mine is screwed in and not riveted. Unfortunately, this window was one that leaked when I first got the trailer, and before I began looking at this forum...... so it's got silicone sealant around it that must be dealt with. Oh well......

Thanks again.
CVZ
Old 07-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #6

Washington
Window has been removed and is now in shop having the glass replaced. When I pulled out the window I found that it was being sealed with Scamp's 1/4" X 1/2" Window Gasket and not butyl tape. The gasket was applied on the top and about 1/2 down each side. The lower 1/2 of sides and bottom had no seal at all, so of course it leaked - which is why I had siliconed it originally.

My question now is - should I use the Scamp 1/4" X 1/2" Window Gasket all the way around the window or should I go with butyl tape?
Old 07-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Butyl tape.

My Scamp came to me with ugly silicone around the windows, a testimony to the inadequacy of the foam tape. Use butyl and skip the silicone.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Agree with Jon, butyl tape. I bought two Scamp windows to install in our Uhaul. First put them in with the foam tape that Scamp sent with the windows. Could not get them to draw in tight and they leaked. Had to pull them out and reinstall with the butyl tape. After you put it in, wait a couple days and retighten the clamp ring screws.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #9

Washington
Thanks all for the advice - I will go with the butyl putty/tape.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Black butyl tape. You can get wider black butyl tape for windows. For some reason RV dealers don't put it out on the retail store shelves but you can ask for it at the parts counter and the usually have it available in the back. Works great on the Hehr black frame windows.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #11

Washington
I have roll of 1/4 x 5/8" (from auto glass supply house) and 1/8 x 1" (from RV parts store). Which one do you think will work best?

Thanks
CVZ

Tags
scamp