Bugs getting in HOW?! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2021, 05:10 AM   #21

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2020 13’ Scamp
Maryland
Jann,

I wish it were just bugs, but the biters are eating me alive, lol. I’ve tried the lights for entering and exiting, but i think I’ve learned that the time of year and where I’m camping is part if the problem. In all the years I’ve camped, this is by far the worst. No more May near water/marshes for me!

Thx, Robin
Robink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:23 AM   #22

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
Sadly no-see-ums can get thru almost any screens. They are just a big nuisance when they are in season. Same for some "black flies" which can also be tiny.

I love the idea of using the fan to push air into the trailer and push bugs out any small holes. Will try that if I have a bug problem.
Good to know these critters can get in no matter what, and that the ads for the screens are bogus.

I am definitely going to try Gordons idea when i get my fan part, and fumigate. Also won’t be camping here in May again.

Thx, Robin
Old 05-25-2021, 08:49 AM   #23

Name: Nick
Trailer: scamp
California
Bugs

Do you have that neat sliding screen door? The first time I used mine it took about 20 min for a moth invasion, I found they were going over the top of the sliding screen, bees took a little longer to figure it out. It was a great looking screen, not very useful
Nick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #24

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick J View Post
Do you have that neat sliding screen door? The first time I used mine it took about 20 min for a moth invasion, I found they were going over the top of the sliding screen, bees took a little longer to figure it out. It was a great looking screen, not very useful
Nick,
I do- and thanks for the heads up. Going to check that for a gap too. Disappointing company, but i still love her.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've done containment testing for asbestos abatement many times during my career. The containment is designed to keep airborne asbestos fibers from escaping so must be airtight.
When air is delivered inside the containment, (roof fan blowing into the trailer)any leakage will be outward. When air is exhausted from inside, any leakage will be into the unit.
We would check potential leakage areas with smoke tubes. Leakage would be demonstrated by smoke moving into/out of the containment. I've seen people who don't have smoke tubes use a lit cigarette.
Fixing the leaks is easy, finding them is the challenge.
Best of luck!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #26

Maryland
Mike, that is really cool. Do you smoke test from inside the unit? Thx, Robin
Old 05-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Robin, smoke testing, actually "smoke tracing" is a means used to visualize patterns of air movement. I've used it to verify the integrity of containments used for hazardous materials abatement, demonstrate air delivery and exhaust patterns etc.
You would need a place with no wind like inside a garage.
You will need an air mover, a shop vac will suffice.
With the shop vac outside the trailer, plumb the EXHAUST from the vac into the trailer. This connection should be as air tight as possible. One method is to cut a piece of corrugated cardboard to fit an open window. Cut a hole in the cardboard to fit the vac hose through. Duct tape hose through cardboard. Duct tape cardboard to open window.
Close all windows, doors, vents etc.
Activate vac. Use your smoke tube to puff smoke around windows, vents, corners etc. where there may be air leaks.
Have someone outside the unit watch for smoke exiting your unit.
Conversely, with the suction from the vac you can create a partial negative pressure inside your unit and have someone puff smoke around potential leak areas from the outside while you sit inside and watch for smoke infiltration.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:20 AM   #28

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Robin, smoke testing, actually "smoke tracing" is a means used to visualize patterns of air movement. I've used it to verify the integrity of containments used for hazardous materials abatement, demonstrate air delivery and exhaust patterns etc.
You would need a place with no wind like inside a garage.
You will need an air mover, a shop vac will suffice.
With the shop vac outside the trailer, plumb the EXHAUST from the vac into the trailer. This connection should be as air tight as possible. One method is to cut a piece of corrugated cardboard to fit an open window. Cut a hole in the cardboard to fit the vac hose through. Duct tape hose through cardboard. Duct tape cardboard to open window.
Close all windows, doors, vents etc.
Activate vac. Use your smoke tube to puff smoke around windows, vents, corners etc. where there may be air leaks.
Have someone outside the unit watch for smoke exiting your unit.
Conversely, with the suction from the vac you can create a partial negative pressure inside your unit and have someone puff smoke around potential leak areas from the outside while you sit inside and watch for smoke infiltration.
This is doable- I get the need to be sure it is air tight. This is priceless info, and I can’t thank you enough.

Everyone is so helpful here. Hope i can be of help too.

Robin
Old 05-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #29

Name: Joe19403
Trailer: 2017 13 scamp front bath
Pennsylvania
Check the vertical side piece where the screen door is attached to the scamp. I found a 1/4 gap that should have been caulk at the factory.
Joe19403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:32 PM   #30

Maryland
Thank you, Joe, I will. Good idea. I think someone mentioned it earlier too! Appreciate your input
Robin