Bugs getting in HOW?! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2021, 08:06 PM   #1

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2020 13’ Scamp
Maryland
Bugs getting in HOW?!

Hi folks,

I’ve been camp hosting at a park with lots of bugs. They have invaded my Scamp. From wee little to bigger. I thought I’d figured out how they were getting inside, but now I’m not sure.

I ran my ac last night, and bugs were everywhere.

Tonight i only had screens open and they are back in in abundance.

Then there is leaving and returning, but I can’t imagine this many could sneak in at a time.

I’ve become a killing machine til i can’t find any more, or am too exhausted and go to sleep.

Do scamp air conditioners need extra filtering?
Are the window screens not made for no seeums?

Feeling at my wits end. Anyone have a similar problem? I haven’t been able to find anything on this issue.

Thank you ahead of time for any advice or experience solving this,

Robin
Robink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:11 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
They could be crawling up your shore power cord and getting in through that opening. Stuff a plastic grocery bag around the cord where it enters the trailer and see if that helps.

And yes, tiny bugs (no-see-ums) can squeeze through screens. I doubt they are coming in through the A/C. If they were, your trailer would become a swimming pool in a heavy rainstorm.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:17 AM   #3

Maryland
Hey, good point! No swimming pool yet. Glad to eliminate the ac.
I changed my shore power “mouse hole” recently, to a twist plug in. Best decision I’ve made. But, it’s not the issue at the moment. Two more days of hosting and then heading home. I bit the bullet last night.... in the wee hours after a bug killing spree, and figured I’d rather be comfortable and bit, than hot and bit.

Why in the world would Scamp not put in screens to cover all bugs.. rhetorical question. The bugs love to hide in the fuzz and under the plastic binding around cabinets. I plan on buying a small bug vortex device that will suck them in while i continue to figure this out.

Thanks for your input!!!

Robin
Old 05-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #4

Florida
Registry
Robin, you may want to fumigate the trailer when you get home. Use something like a Raid Fumigator. Put it on a block of wood (they get hot) and follow the instructions. When you go inside to open the windows and air it out, hold your breath. You may have to go in two or three times to open the roof vent and windows depending on how long you can hold your breath. I had an ant infestation in a previous trailer and tried sprays, ant cups, pesticides specifically made for ants, and the Raid Fumigator was the only product that eliminated them.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #5

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robink View Post
Hi folks,

I’ve been camp hosting at a park with lots of bugs. They have invaded my Scamp. From wee little to bigger. I thought I’d figured out how they were getting inside, but now I’m not sure.

Then there is leaving and returning, but I can’t imagine this many could sneak in at a time.

I’ve become a killing machine til i can’t find any more, or am too exhausted and go to sleep.

Feeling at my wits end. Anyone have a similar problem? I haven’t been able to find anything on this issue.

Robin
Try using a hand spray bottle with a mixture of vinegar and water to spray outside of trailer where ants and bugs can get in. Spray around tires, hitch jack, electrical cord, water connection and rear supports. We have had to do this a few times and it my work for you.
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
MB
We have a scamp 19. We had mosquitos coming in in the "bedroom" and couldn't find until one night when they were really bad saw them coming in between the screen and window frame. It was like a scene from a horror movie with bugs crawling out from a crack. We didn't find it sooner because the frame and screen frame are black and you don't see any light. Problem was solved with a strip of electrical tape. All the other screens are fine. So check cracks around screens. The way the window frames and screens are constructed there may not be an obvious way for them to get in but put tape on any cracks and see if that solves the problem. I doubt it's you air conditioner because if you don't have water coming in it's sealed well.
Mike255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:29 PM   #7

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Robin, you may want to fumigate the trailer when you get home. Use something like a Raid Fumigator. Put it on a block of wood (they get hot) and follow the instructions. When you go inside to open the windows and air it out, hold your breath. You may have to go in two or three times to open the roof vent and windows depending on how long you can hold your breath. I had an ant infestation in a previous trailer and tried sprays, ant cups, pesticides specifically made for ants, and the Raid Fumigator was the only product that eliminated them.
CPW,

You are probably on the mark with that. I thought about it too. Great minds.

Did you empty the camper of all foods and dishes, etc?

I really appreciate your feedback, CPW
Old 05-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #8

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike255 View Post
We have a scamp 19. We had mosquitos coming in in the "bedroom" and couldn't find until one night when they were really bad saw them coming in between the screen and window frame. It was like a scene from a horror movie with bugs crawling out from a crack. We didn't find it sooner because the frame and screen frame are black and you don't see any light. Problem was solved with a strip of electrical tape. All the other screens are fine. So check cracks around screens. The way the window frames and screens are constructed there may not be an obvious way for them to get in but put tape on any cracks and see if that solves the problem. I doubt it's you air conditioner because if you don't have water coming in it's sealed well.
Wow! Thank you Mike255. I will be checking those shortly. It’s amazing how brainless bugs can sniff us out and drive us nuts!!

Thanks again- Robin
Old 05-24-2021, 01:16 PM   #9

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Had to a a broom sweep to the bottom of our screen door.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #10

Florida
Registry
Quote:
CPW,

You are probably on the mark with that. I thought about it too. Great minds.

Did you empty the camper of all foods and dishes, etc?

I really appreciate your feedback, CPW
Yes, removed all foods and dishes and food related items like utensils, pots, ad pans. One treatment was all it took.

I think the suggestion to check how well the edges of the screens are seated is also worthwhile. But we were in the Florida Keys in the early 90s and the screens had no effect on the no-see-ups!
Old 05-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
The bottom line, unfortunately, is that if there is a hole, bugs will find it and get in!
Bugs are attracted to heat as well as other things. As the sun sets, air temperature drops but the exterior of your unit is a little warmer so bugs are attracted to it. That's why they accumulate on the side of your trailer that last got the sun and not the other (cooler) side.
Warm air will escape your unit through any holes present. Window screens emit a lot of warm air so will attract bugs. Some bugs may be small enough to pass through the screen or small openings around it.
I left the vent over my stove open with my unit unattended for a week. My trailer was SWARMING with black flies! I sprayed RAID and waited an hour. I swept up two full coffee cups of dead flies!
Two days after buying my current unit (new) I took it into the back country. Massive black fly problem the first day there! Did the RAID thing again. Worked but the next day they came back! Opened the cupboard under the dinette and a CLOUD of black flies flew out. Turns out the ducting from the furnace, rear of trailer, passes through the air plenum for the fridge and then the cupboard. Bugs attracted to heat from fridge in air plenum. Furnace ducting is warm so flies are attracted to it and enter the cupboard where the ducting wasn't sealed to it. A shot of spray insulation, problem solved.
I've found these bug infestations to be easily solved but often challenging to identify. Good luck!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:08 PM   #12

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
The bottom line, unfortunately, is that if there is a hole, bugs will find it and get in!
Bugs are attracted to heat as well as other things. As the sun sets, air temperature drops but the exterior of your unit is a little warmer so bugs are attracted to it. That's why they accumulate on the side of your trailer that last got the sun and not the other (cooler) side.
Warm air will escape your unit through any holes present. Window screens emit a lot of warm air so will attract bugs. Some bugs may be small enough to pass through the screen or small openings around it.
I left the vent over my stove open with my unit unattended for a week. My trailer was SWARMING with black flies! I sprayed RAID and waited an hour. I swept up two full coffee cups of dead flies!
Two days after buying my current unit (new) I took it into the back country. Massive black fly problem the first day there! Did the RAID thing again. Worked but the next day they came back! Opened the cupboard under the dinette and a CLOUD of black flies flew out. Turns out the ducting from the furnace, rear of trailer, passes through the air plenum for the fridge and then the cupboard. Bugs attracted to heat from fridge in air plenum. Furnace ducting is warm so flies are attracted to it and enter the cupboard where the ducting wasn't sealed to it. A shot of spray insulation, problem solved.
I've found these bug infestations to be easily solved but often challenging to identify. Good luck!
MikeL,

Wow, more great things to consider. I do not have a furnace, but the heat generated by the refrigerator could cause issues. I’ll check for leaks, entryways, etc. also may replace the screens with no seeum resistant ones, but it truly baffles me that companies are not following predictive practices.

Thank you so much. Good stuff here,
Robin
Old 05-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #13

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Yes, removed all foods and dishes and food related items like utensils, pots, ad pans. One treatment was all it took.

I think the suggestion to check how well the edges of the screens are seated is also worthwhile. But we were in the Florida Keys in the early 90s and the screens had no effect on the no-see-ups!
Thank you. Thought so, but helps to get second opinion.
I plan on checking screens gaps and holes, then probably get no seeum proof ones.

Again, thank you, you’ve been very helpful.

Robin
Old 05-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #14

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Jackie C View Post
Try using a hand spray bottle with a mixture of vinegar and water to spray outside of trailer where ants and bugs can get in. Spray around tires, hitch jack, electrical cord, water connection and rear supports. We have had to do this a few times and it my work for you.

I thought I’d answered your post, so forgive the delay. I will try the vinegar mix. great idea

Thank you for your input!

Robin
Old 05-24-2021, 06:32 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
If you have a reversable roof fan, switch it to intake and close the windows... fan on high. While a few bugs might get in through the fan screen, the fan will create positive pressure inside the camper and every other nook and cranny, small gap, or vent hole will have air being forced out which will stop the bugs from getting in there.

On the other hand, if you have the fan on exhaust then it sucks air in and that's a free ride for the bugs coming in through all the points of entry they can find.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #16

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
If you have a reversable roof fan, switch it to intake and close the windows... fan on high. While a few bugs might get in through the fan screen, the fan will create positive pressure inside the camper and every other nook and cranny, small gap, or vent hole will have air being forced out which will stop the bugs from getting in there.

On the other hand, if you have the fan on exhaust then it sucks air in and that's a free ride for the bugs coming in through all the points of entry they can find.
Hi Gordon,

My brain is having a hard time with this. If on exhaust, it is pulling air from the camper out, i thought. And it makes sense. Can you explain the science to me? I’m really wanting to understand it.

Thx, Robin
Old 05-24-2021, 06:59 PM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
... If on exhaust, it is pulling air from the camper out, i thought...
Yes, on exhaust the fan pushes the air out (out of the roof).. but that air is replaced because of the air pressure that is all around us.. it will equalize.... and where does the new air come in from? It comes in from every open window, gap, hole, anywhere it can..and thats the same road the bugs take... the inflowing air means they can just coast in instead of needing find their own way.

For bugs moving air is much like moving water is to us... did you ever try to swim upstream against a strong current? The fan on intake pushes air out everywhere creating strong currents that bugs cant swim (fly) against.

A few bugs might get sucked in by the fan but the screen will stop most, and not that many will hang out at the fan anyway.

Anyway, just try it next time and see if it helps. But you do need to close the windows so that the air pressure will build up a little.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:13 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Hi folks,

Robin
Our motorhome had the same problem. Tiny gnat like bugs by the millions. They do get through the screens. If the screens were made so these critters couldn't get in then they'd be solid without ventilation. We shut off all our lights and that helped but as soon as we turned on any of them the bugs appeared.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:29 PM   #19

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Sadly no-see-ums can get thru almost any screens. They are just a big nuisance when they are in season. Same for some "black flies" which can also be tiny.

I love the idea of using the fan to push air into the trailer and push bugs out any small holes. Will try that if I have a bug problem.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:04 AM   #20

Maryland
Wow, I get it. Brilliant, thanks Gordon. At the moment my fan isn’t working. I’m waiting for the circuit board, but i will definitely try it. Appreciate your explanation.

Robin