Bugs in the dark - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Bugs in the dark

My experience says that bugs like white light. After reading a few articles about bug lights it seems that most bugs can see the higher frequencies purple and blues and not so much in the lower frequencies orange and reds. I guess that’s why many ‘bug lights’ are yellow which seems to compromise what the human eye can use with what many bugs can see. Do any of you act on this principle?

I was thinking of covering the Scamp’s strong bank of white LEDs on the starboard side with a yellow film/shade to help us as we sit outside in our screened in tent in the dark. Anybody try this? It is probably easier to just buy a yellow light for this purpose. Any other thoughts on dealing with bugs in the dark would be appreciated.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I replaced my white porch light with yellow. It was so dim I couldn't see the step and had to look for the swarm of bugs to find the door.
I switched back to white.
I think insects are more attracted to carbon dioxide, motion and odours.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I have yellow porch lights at home and on the trailer. The dimmer light does not affect my night vision as much. I actually kind of think it helps with bugs, too, but it may be the placebo effect.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
What Glenn said. I replaced white w yellow/orange and still have a lot of bugs. But since I can’t see as well with the new yellow lights, maybe the bugs are all in my imagination...Mope... still a lot of bugs...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:04 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
I replaced the lens on my rather bright white LED porch light. Actually, not much of a reduction in brightness as things can still be clearly seen, such as what I would consider the same-sized insect swarms as before the lens was changed. Unfortunately, bugs are part of the camping environment and there isn’t much you can do about them (if you wish to avoid pesticides which is my personal approach).
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote