Build your own window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Build your own window

I have been searching for resources on building RV windows, but can't find anything. Has anyone tried this or found and information on building an opening RV window?
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Just my 2 cents worth, but by the time you source, if you even can, all the components necessary, then fabricate it, and hope it works, I think you might want to just purchase a "factory made" window. That is of course, unless you enjoy exasperating hair-pulling projects, especially building an openable window. Good luck with that one...FWIW
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Greg, on top of the fact I don't think I've ever read anyone asking this question before. There are a number of RV window manufacturers that will build to your specs. I don't think there's enough Clairol in the world that would warrant me tackling the job. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A better question would be , "where can I buy a custom made window at a reasonable price?"

I'd start on eBay and see if I could find something close, then start looking for a reasonable custom built window.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Is there a reason that you want to make the window yourself? There are ways to rebuild/repair an existing window and many members have done that. Maybe if you give us more details, we can give you some better directions. Also photos, we love photos
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Sun-View Industries is the company that manufactures the OE windows for Bigfoot. I'm sure they make them for other RV and campers as well. Perhaps they can be of help in fulfilling your needs.

RV Windows by Sun-View Industries
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #7

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I bought windows from Sunview for my Boler, and am very happy with them. I just enjoy the "exasperating hair-pulling projects". My son wants a little trailer to pull behind his bike, so I thought it would be a fun time to try and build the windows (as well as other things I have never before attempted), as ordering is too expensive for such a project.

I have come up with a few different workable designs so far, but was wondering what else was out there.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
.........My son wants a little trailer to pull behind his bike, so I thought it would be a fun time to try and build the windows (as well as other things I have never before attempted), as ordering is too expensive for such a project...........
You can do a search here, but I recall no one making their own windows except for people fitting Lexan into a fiberglass opening with a rubber weather strip. For a toy, I can see making the frame from wood and using a plastic window. You could then make it slide, so it opens. Or if you are handy, use extruded aluminum and bend it into shape.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
My son wants a little trailer to pull behind his bike, so I thought it would be a fun time to try and build the windows (as well as other things I have never before attempted), as ordering is too expensive for such a project.
Track down some of the old style square hatch doors. The ones that are joined by screws through the profile. Cut them to the size you need and swap out the panels with plexiglass. If you want screens, you can MacGuyver something to fit into the profile out of wood or metal.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Window and screen frames

The Campster we bought had no screens and frames.
We search many places for replacements with no luck.
We were told our Campster was to old -nothing available-they didnt make that size.
Finally found Pelland Enterprises-ordered rounded couners and frame parts from them.
Found a chart that shows the curve sizes of many windows-matched the corner curve of our window to the correct size curve.
The corners cllip into the metal frames pieces.
The cost was about $40 each.
Hope this hepls.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote