Bumper hitch for bike carrier - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 1994 Scamp Deluxe 16 ft
Has anyone installed a bumper hitch on their Scamp or other FG camper?
I would like to be able to use a bike carrier and carry 2 bikes on the rear. I'm sure I will need to re-inforce the bumper and wondered if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Adrian,

I had my mechanic do some modifications to my trailer to handle our Thule rack. Pictures are in this thread:

Trillium Modifications

Note that adding weight to the very back of your trailer can effect the handling and you will want to see how much tongue weight you have with the bikes loaded.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Scamp used to do it as an option but quit because of too many failures, plus it induces sway to put more weight as far back as possible from the axle.

Floyd, on Yahoo Scampers, made a nifty bike rack for the front of the trailer, above the battery box, that is sturdy and puts the weight in a better place.

Attached Thumbnails
bikerack.jpg  
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I just put a Thule Spare Tire rack on our Jeep Liberty and it worked great on a trip.
Not sure what your TV is, but if you have a rear mounted spare it is a good option.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
I added one on the back of my Burro. I've had to reinforce it about five times and it's still causing problems. It's just a lot of weight leveraged way out behind the tires on a mild steel frame. It's hard to get everything stiff enough to support the rack.

On the plus side, it hasn't caused many problems for me with sway. I've got a battery on the tongue, so that puts quite a bit of weight up front.

It's an awfully convenient spot to have the bikes, but I haven't been able to perfect the system. Last time we had it out (admittedly on some pretty rough roads) one of the bikes swung forward and busted out a back window. Not cool.

Figuring out a mounting system on the front would be better. Putting them inside works pretty well, but then you have to take them out every time you stop, which is no fun.

If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know.
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Scamp used to do it as an option but quit because of too many failures, plus it induces sway to put more weight as far back as possible from the axle.

Floyd, on Yahoo Scampers, made a nifty bike rack for the front of the trailer, above the battery box, that is sturdy and puts the weight in a better place.
It is still an option.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know.
Have you considered Roof Racks on the tow vehicle?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Seems like sometime ago I saw where someone had added a 2" hitch receiver to the frame at the back of the trailer. That allowed them to use a hitch-mounted bike rack when they needed one. Looked like a good idea to me. Wouldn't that resolve most of the concerns that have been brought up here as regards a bumper-mounted bike rake?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Jeep Liberty Renagade V6
We recently had a receiver put on at Scamp. In that we put a flat cargo carrier. Not only does it carry the bikes but other items as well.

Ted & Vera
ted saxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Adrian,
Yes, Scamp seems to be still putting them on as an option. The bumper is plenty heavy enough to weld one onto. It would not need to be re-inforced. I would have to look again to see what the second weld is attached to, it seems to have some re-inforcement at that end of the hitch and the trailer. Here is a photo of the carrier I got at Harbor Freight out of alumin which I modified to carry two bikes or to carry other things as well. On this trip, I am using a box with gas and other things in it for the generator and odds and ends. I have also have and used a bike hitch and like the carrier better. No photo of the bike hitch. I am adding some photos of the carrier and will try to get one of the back of the Scamp with the hitch showing, not sure if it shows too well. It should not be too hard to weld one on, just be careful of not over heating the fiberglass by the weld under the trailer area. We have a Swagman 3 bike rack much like the one at this site:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?categor...20Hitch%20Racks

Adrian of New Mexico
Not often I address something to another Adrian.
Attached Thumbnails
Back_Carrier.jpg   King_County_Texas.jpg  

Honda_EU2000i_Powering__Scamp_sm.jpg  
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
This is how Tink did it:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=26046
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We have a bike rack on the rear of our Casita.. Jim has a bar that goes from the rail, that runs around the trailer, to our bike rack. This makes the bikes ride stable .. no moving back and forth.
Attached Thumbnails
Bike_Rack_Attachment_211copy.jpg   Bike_Rack_Attachment_213.jpg  

CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote