Burning Smell - Brakes?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Burning Smell - Brakes??

I picked up my Parkliner yesterday and on the drive home (about 1 hour), I smelled something that I think was something burning. I stopped and checked a couple of times and the smell was very faint and I couldn't identify where it was coming from.

I've never used a brake controller before and wonder if that might be the problem. I could use some help understanding the instructions. The brake controller display indicates it is hooked up correctly.

The instructions say:
  1. Connect trailer to tow vehicle (OK)
  2. Set power knob to 6.0 (OK)
  3. Drive 25 mph and fully apply manual knob (I pushed the manual knob all the way to the left while driving)
  4. If brakes lock (turn power level down)
  5. If brakes not sufficient (turn power level up)
  6. Repeat until properly set
Step 3 was confusing. The instructions didn't say how to fully apply the manual knob or what was supposed to happen when it was applied. I pushed it all the way to the left as that was the only option I saw. Nothing happened when I pushed it to the left.

When I applied the breaks the trailer breaks didn't lock and I had good control, but I couldn't really tell if the trailer brakes were working or not. I left the controller on 6 and headed home.

Going up hill, I felt something strange, but can't clearly describe it. It was kind of like the engine was surging, but it wasn't the engine. I'm wondering if the brake controller was engaging the trailer brakes for short periods of time. It was subtle and mainly a feel thing.

I've checked the manual for troubleshooting tips and nothing matches what i experienced.

What should I check and how can I test it?

ETA: The trailer hadn't been towed before.

ETA 2: Brake controller problem resolved. I'm a dummy.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Huck
The first thing I do with a new axle is to pull the hubs and check and repack the bearings, re install the hubs and adjust the brakes. Sounds as if you may have a brake dragging. Jack up each side and make sure the wheels turn freely at the very least. What part of Va. are you located? If near the Northern Neck I can give you a hand to help figure out what is going on.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Huck and congratulations on the Parkliner. It would be useful to know what controller you have. On my prodigy the manual actuator is a lever on the bottom of the controller that is pushed left to right. The power adjust is a wheel located on the top. The adjustment procedure is the same. I do it on a gravel road to save the tires if they lock up. When the manual lever is pushed the magnets energize and if you have a helper do it you can listen at the wheel and hear them. If you are not sure, do it with a wheel jacked, spin the wheel. The wheel will stop. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #4

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Hello Huck and congratulations on the Parkliner. It would be useful to know what controller you have. On my prodigy the manual actuator is a lever on the bottom of the controller that is pushed left to right. The power adjust is a wheel located on the top. The adjustment procedure is the same. I do it on a gravel road to save the tires if they lock up. When the manual lever is pushed the magnets energize and if you have a helper do it you can listen at the wheel and hear them. If you are not sure, do it with a wheel jacked, spin the wheel. The wheel will stop. Raz
So pushing the manual lever all the way to the left should engage the brakes?

I have a Prodigy P2 brake controller.

I pushed the manual knob to the left and set the power control at 6.0. Then while driving about 25 mph, I pushed the manual lever all the way to the left. Nothing noticeable happened. When I pressed the brakes I stopped with no problem, so I drove home with the setting on 6.0.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #5

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Huck
The first thing I do with a new axle is to pull the hubs and check and repack the bearings, re install the hubs and adjust the brakes. Sounds as if you may have a brake dragging. Jack up each side and make sure the wheels turn freely at the very least. What part of Va. are you located? If near the Northern Neck I can give you a hand to help figure out what is going on.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm 4-5 hours away.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
When I do these tests, I always do them on a level, gravel road. Open drivers car window, accelerate to 25 mph, and the simultaneously take foot off the gas and apply the trailer brakes, steadily moving the manual knob to the left. Listen for the engagement of the trailer brakes, you'll hear it, gravel will be flying. I target engagement at about 75% of travel to the left. Once that is set, I try again, accelerate to say 50 mph, and get a sense of how long the trailer brakes take to slow down the whole tow package, with foot off the gas.
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Nothing noticeable happened. When I pressed the brakes I stopped with no problem, so I drove home with the setting on 6.0.
When you say you stopped no problem when applying the vehicle brakes, that was the vehicle brakes working by themselves. The trailer brakes were not helping out at all.

Sounds like your trailer brakes are not functioning, either due to brake controller malfunctioning or being out of adjustment, or due to the trailer brakes themselves not functioning.

You will need to have this checked out. It doesn't sound from your description that you are highly experienced at this, it may be best to take it into a shop where the experts can sort it out for you.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
When you say you stopped no problem when applying the vehicle brakes, that was the vehicle brakes working by themselves. The trailer brakes were not helping out at all.

Sounds like your trailer brakes are not functioning, either due to brake controller malfunctioning or being out of adjustment, or due to the trailer brakes themselves not functioning.

You will need to have this checked out. It doesn't sound from your description that you are highly experienced at this, it may be best to take it into a shop where the experts can sort it out for you.
I'm not experienced, but with some guidance I can narrow down the problem. I smelled something and my trailer brakes don't seem to come on, yet I felt some drag going uphill. So related or 2 separate problems?

I'm going out for a short test drive.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
The instructions say:

3. Drive 25 mph and fully apply manual knob (I pushed the manual knob all the way to the left while driving)

Step 3 was confusing. The instructions didn't say how to fully apply the manual knob or what was supposed to happen when it was applied. I pushed it all the way to the left as that was the only option I saw. Nothing happened when I pushed it to the left.
When you hit your speed, foot of the gas and brakes. Gradually move the manual lever, as you do the trailer brakes should gradually apply. You should feel or be able to watch the trailer slow both itself and the vehicle down. (Think of applying your vehicle brakes, you don't jump on them to stop).

If you don't start to slow down, you need to increase the power. If the wheels on the trailer lock (skid) your power is too high. New brakes take a few applications to "settle in" so you will need to repeat this over a few trips. I think it is a good idea to check step 3 a few times at the beginning of every trip. My vehicle brakes don't take well to sitting for long times, so I expect the trailer brakes act the same.

Hope that helps.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Raz

Quote:
So pushing the manual lever all the way to the left should engage the brakes?

I have a Prodigy P2 brake controller.

I pushed the manual knob to the left and set the power control at 6.0. Then while driving about 25 mph, I pushed the manual lever all the way to the left. Nothing noticeable happened. When I pressed the brakes I stopped with no problem, so I drove home with the setting on 6.0.
Correct. As I suggested earlier, get a helper. With the trailer stationary let the helper push the lever and you listen next to the wheel. You will hear the brake magnet energize. If you don't, jack the wheel, spin it and push the lever. If it stops the wheel then you need to repeat the adjustment procedure until it is high enough to feel the drag. What you want is enough brake to compensate for the weight of trailer. Raz
Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #11

Virginia
One problem solved.

You know how Prodigy uses dots before and sometimes after, like .C and .C.?

When the instructions said to set power to 6, I actually set it to .6. Now I have it set at 8 and that seems about right.

I didn't smell anything today, but I only drove about a 4 mile circuit 3 times.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Just as a side note I use a Prodigy 2 with a Scamp 16' on an Outback and I have never had to set the controller anywhere near 6 to have the brakes work correctly. If set to 6 and I was to pull the controllers manual lever over the trailer would be hopping like a bunny rabbit & pull the tug to a dead stop pretty darn quick. Actually it will do that if set at anything over 3.

Did you controller come with a video disk? Its helpful in clearly showing how to set up. Otherwise Prodigy does have on line how to videos that may help.

It sounds to me as though either the controller is not working or the trailer brakes need adjustment as Raz suggests.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
One problem solved.

You know how Prodigy uses dots before and sometimes after, like .C and .C.?

When the instructions said to set power to 6, I actually set it to .6. Now I have it set at 8 and that seems about right.

I didn't smell anything today, but I only drove about a 4 mile circuit 3 times.
LOL glad you figured it out. But as I mentioned having to set it to 8 sounds pretty high to me for the weight of your trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
Raz

Setting brakes is as much art as it is science. It takes a while to get a " feel" for it. I try set mine so when I stop at the bottom of a hill, the trailer is not pushing the truck. As I recall, Parkliner comes with self adjusting brakes, so at least you won't need to do that in a few hundred miles. Good luck and again, congrats on the new trailer. Raz
Old 02-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The funny surging in the truck may be from the tranny hunting for overdrive if you have an automatic transmission. Read your owners manual and check what it says for towing with your car. Myself if the ground isnt flat my Pathfinder is taken out of overdrive. Automatics are too expensive to repair if you allow them to surge in and out of overdrive while under heavy load. It really heats up the tranny fluid and can cook the parts inside. Check the dipstick for the transmission and if it smells unusual you may need to get it checked out and fluid changed. If you dont have a factory tow package might look into adding a tranny cooler.

Once you get past these newbie towwing issues you will be off to a great camping summer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes