Burro not centered on frame and axle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2022, 05:23 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
Burro not centered on frame and axle?

I just acquired a 1990 17 ft Burro and I am assessing what work I need to due and what has been done to it by previous owners. I am thinking of lifting it a couple of inches for more clearance and have been looking closely at the frame and axle attachment. Question 1: the body is not centered on the frame, it overlaps 8" on the passenger side and 10" on the drivers side-- is that normal? Maybe because you enter and exit on the passenger side so the overlap from the frame is less on that side? Question 2: It has a Dexter 3500 lb torsion axle, I assume that's not original? The axle is also offset the way its attached to the frame, I assume they had to do this because the body overlap differs on each side of the frame. The drivers side wheel well is 14 inches wide, while the passenger side is only 11inches. Any insight on this would be appreciated? ---Frank
frthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:34 AM   #2

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Burro not centered on frame and axle

I just read your post and am puzzled by what you have found . Most manufacturers use jigs to ensure the parts mate correctly in products . I feel if you can contact someone from the Burro plant, or somebody that did work there in the past they should be able to answer your questions. The body could have been placed wrong by a PO ,but the axle seems too far out of spec ! please post any response you get regarding these issues by a person who knows . Bizzare for sure !
Good luck with your trailer . Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:26 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Burro has been out of business for a couple of decades, so the best bet is another owner of the same model. Surprised one hasn’t been along already, though the wide-body models are definitely less common.

The OP could use the community search tools to try and identify an owner who is currently active (check their profile to see when they’ve last logged in). When you find someone with recent activity, reach out by e-mail or private message.

With such an uncommon model, you may have to be proactive to connect with another owner. There's probably a FB group for Burro owners. Rallies are another another avenue. Some rally hosts ask about trailer make and model when registering participants, or they may have personal knowledge of someone with this model.

I also got several hits when I searched this site ("Search Site/Google" option at the bottom of the search menu) using "Burro 17 frame" as the query.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:21 PM   #4

Name: River
Trailer: Perris Pacer
Oregon
Registry
I have an ‘89 17’ wide body. When I get home next week I can check to see if my measurements are like yours.
Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:32 PM   #5

Name: Frank
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
I am confident at this point that a previous owner had the shell off at some point and replaced the axle, which could have resulted in the current situation. Burrito I am very interested in hearing what the measurements are on your trailer, thanks for offering to check.
frthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:06 AM   #6

Name: River
Trailer: Perris Pacer
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frthompson View Post
I am confident at this point that a previous owner had the shell off at some point and replaced the axle, which could have resulted in the current situation. Burrito I am very interested in hearing what the measurements are on your trailer, thanks for offering to check.

Frank, I sent you a private message yesterday, let me know if you didn’t receive it.
Anne
Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, burro