Burro Replacement Windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Hello All,

I am back after a long winter working in Cape Town South Africa and Korea.

Time to get back to the real work of Burro restoration. I am looking for a good source for replacement windows for q 13' Burro, I think I like the jelousy type windows so they can be open even when raining a bit. I know I have seen some here on the forum if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Scott
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Scott,

I looked around a bit when I had a U-haul. I wanted to replace the windows because the rubber seals were a pain, and I also -- like you -- wanted jalousies.

I called a number of the usual companies (Buccanneer, etc.) and they had them but they were pretty expensive. Then I called Scamp's parts department. They had the jalousie windows for, if I remember correctly, about $135 each. There was a reasonable crating/shipping charge and two windows would fit together in one box/crate. I think it was going to be around $300 total for the pair.

The one caveat is that they come in Scamp's size. I don't know how the Burro compares to the U-haul, but for the U-haul - as I remember it - the width was just right and the height was maybe 1/2" less. At the time I felt I could make it work one way or another. As it turned out, I sold the U-haul so did not replace the windows.

If I remember correctly the non-Scamp windows were going to be quite a bit more expensive. Scamp apparently buys in bulk and gets a good price, which they nicely pass along to us.

Note that Scamp's more common windows are sliders, but they do and will supply the jalousies - just make sure you are clear on that. They may call them "vent" style.

Raya

PS: If you go to this link you will see the windows in a Scamp trailer; I believe they are an option when you buy a Scamp (slightly more expensive than the sliders).

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroom/13Tr...s/13Photos.aspx

I have jalousie windows in my Boler (beside the dinette and over the stove and in the door) and I would not trade them for the world. I have left them open in some amazingly windy and torrential downpours and no rain has come in. Even if I am going to be away or the trailer is in storage I leave them "cracked" and it keeps the trailer ventilated nicely.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Too, the Scamp window jalousies are not the full window. Just the center section. You may want to check pricing, etc. also at TrilliumRV.com
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #4

Thanks Raya and Donna, I will check with both of them!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #5

That's true, Donna, but I have not seen the square-cornered jalousies available anywhere. Everything seems to be radius-cornered now. Of course the Burros have radius-cornered windows already, so it's probably a good think for the OP.

I should think they have nearly the same opening area as the sliders, no? Maybe a little bit less, depending on how far the sliders slide, but, on the other hand, the "can always be open" factor is huge (to me, anyway).

Raya
Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Raya, I mentioned TrilliumRV because I don't know if the windows are a different size than Scamp. I think functionally they're the same.

What's really too bad is Scamp actually had an option about 4-5 years ago for the old style jalousie windows. I saw a brand new Scamp at the Oregon Gathering, and the owners bought their trailer straight from Scamp. The jalousie windows were black anodized and that looked a bit strange, but they were the old fashioned style. Guess there just wasn't a big enough demand to continue the option.

On edit: Just looked up an old Oregon Gathering roster... It was Jerry and Velma's 2004 16' Scamp that had the old style jalousies right from Scamp. As if anyone cares
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #7

Hi Donna,

I was responding more to the radius/opening part rather than the Trillium RV part - sorry I did not make that more clear. Also, I think the Trillium windows are a bit larger, maybe.... but I don't know that, and it sure will not hurt to check!

Actually, I am very interested to hear what you said about the Scamp square-cornered windows, as it explains a mystery that was bugging me. There was a 16-foot Scamp for sale here on the forum sometime in the last year that was a relatively late model, but had the square-cornered jalousie windows - and they were even black. (Someone here bought it in fact.) That one really had me stumped. I started to wonder if someone had saved the windows from an older camper and brought them in to Scamp (that still did not explain the black specifically though).

So... thanks!

Raya
Old 06-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #8

Ok I think I have decided to use Jalousie style windows from Hehr, I am just wondering on the front and rear windows as the opening has a slight curve to it do to the shape of the egg, I pulled all the original windows and the front and rear have a slight curve to it, so my questions is has anyone replaced these, how is the curve dealt with? Will I need to build up the fiberglass around the opening to remove the curve?

Any input would be appreciated.

Scott
Old 08-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 1960s 10 ft Burro
Wondering how the window replace turned out. We also have a 13 ft Burro and are in process of installing a Fantastic Vent with the rain sensor and jalousie windows is what we would like as well.
Rose Feys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Feys View Post
Wondering how the window replace turned out. We also have a 13 ft Burro and are in process of installing a Fantastic Vent with the rain sensor and jalousie windows is what we would like as well.

Hello Rose,

I decided to go back with the original front and back windows due to the curve of the body and the curve the original frames already had.

I took out the windows and had them done with tempered tinted glass. I did away with the slider up front and had intended to do the same on the rear but when it came back lo and behold it now had a glass slider so it will still open for times I need alot of air or if I want to add an a/c in it.

I also kept the original slider door as Hehr couldnt get a crank out, I will probably put the tempered glass in it as well.

I have ordered new side windows that have one crank out window pane in each window about 6-8 inches, I would have prefered 2 but I think that was a special order longer time and more expensive.

If it is too hot I will add a a/c or stay home.

When I get them I will send a pic, I will take pics of the front and back windows.

Tags
burro, windows