Butyl tape question - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The butyl tape I use is pretty shiny and sticky like bubble gum. Sticks to me, my tools and everything it touches, except the peel-able paper.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #42

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
Look at this tape. I sell it at Fiberglass Travel Trailers RV
This product I sell is used on a truck camper production line used everyday. The camper production company is Superior RV Manufacturing in Vancouver,Washington. I have used this product on a Scamp,Compact Jr, and a U-Haul. I would not sell a bad product to any fiberglass trailer owner or anyone else.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #43

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
This product I sell is used on a truck camper production line used everyday. The camper production company is Superior RV Manufacturing in Vancouver,Washington. I have used this product on a Scamp,Compact Jr, and a U-Haul. I would not sell a bad product to any fiberglass trailer owner or anyone else.
Chuck
OK I don't know why or how this can be such a heated conversation?

There are different products out there that do the same thing.
One is the older more prevalent standby that is most commonly available and is prone to drying out over time. It is cheaper and easier to work with and thus most manufacturers seem to prefer it and it has been around FOREVER.

The other is a newer and more advanced product and is tough to impossible to work with and it will not get dry or hard over time. It is pricier and tougher to find and because there is so much confusion in the market it is likely not used even where it would be clearly a superior solution.

Yes they can appear similar even enough to fool Francesca who is clearly very technically adept and astute particularly for an Apparition!

This is the clearest description of the two I have found:

Low Tech RVing: It's Putty Tape Time

Notice that the putty is heavily lined on the surface and looks well like putty!
Notice the Butyl is smooth and shiny and also comes in several pretty colors?
Butyl looks more like SillyPutty(rememeber that?).

They are both Putty I guess but clearly not the same consistency.

They just do not look the same to me.

Both will work and both are acceptable but the Butyl is a more modern and longer lasting product and this is obvious to me having used both extensively.

My best example would be resealing the windows in an Egg.
I have never removed a window that has been sealed with Butyl but there also may not be many yet as Butyl is so much newer for this application?

Once the window is out and the old putty removed I roll a layer of new stuff around the inside of the flange towards the inside of the window perimeter.

If I use the older Putty then positioning the window is just not a big deal. I can pull it and realign and tweak it until I am satisfied with placement.

Butyl on the other hand will simply be exactly where you fisrt place it and if you need to move or tweak its position well forget about it! The Butyl stick so well to all solid surfaces that wherever it first sticks will be where it ends up too!
It is a lot more difficult to work with for sure.

With Traditional Putty you can slice and remove any excess that might squeeze out once the window is tightened in but with Butyl it is nearly impossible to do this unless the Butyl is cold. For this reason I use a lot less Butyl and try to calculate using just enough that trimming will not be required.

Butyl is also available in a runnier form in tubes and is known as Vulcem or Dicor and is the nastiest to use but best roof sealant I have seen or used and is what we use to seal roofs after antenna installation these days haveing transitioned from.....wait for it.....Putty Tape!

On an RV roof this runny Butyl is also Self-Leveling so if applied say around a roof vent it will run to level and fill all the gaps where the Putty Tape relies on even and thorough tightening of all the screws to insure even gap-free seals.

They also use Butyl in a tube to install Windshields but I have never seen Putty tape used for this? Same exact deal there too,once positioned the windshield can not be moved at all.

I am hesitant to use Butyl as it is such a pain to work with but it is also the better sealant for the same reason.

Whew!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #44

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Let's not turn this into a game of Whac-a-Mole. Ed and Richard and Donna, TomG. and myself and others have tried to reveal what we believe to be the physical properties and appearance of a desirable (good) product compared to those of a less desirable (bad) product. I don't thnk there's an industrial chemist in the bunch; at least I'm not so don't send free samples. All I can do is look at it, smell it, stretch it, apply it, monitor how long it does the job of sealing--anything short of chewing it and blowing bubbles. There are a lot of products with the descriptor "butyl tape". I find the ethics of those who produce nominal knockoffs and pricepoint substitutes exasperating, but I won't be provoked to question the honesty or judgment of individual retailers.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #45

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Frankly, I don't care what anybody uses as long as it works for them. But please, please don't blob silicone around the outside of windows and vents. Or else you'll be back whinning about how to remove it and then we'll get into another whole discussion. Do it once, do it right and then go camping
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #46

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Frankly, I don't care what anybody uses as long as it works for them. But please, please don't blob silicone around the outside of windows and vents. Or else you'll be back whinning about how to remove it and then we'll get into another whole discussion. Do it once, do it right and then go camping
Amen!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #47

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna d. View Post
......... But please, please don't blob silicone around the outside of windows and vents. .........
++ 2
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3559.JPG  
Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #48

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
But please, please don't blob silicone around the outside of windows and vents. Or else you'll be back whinning about how to remove it and then we'll get into another whole discussion. Do it once, do it right and then go camping

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote