Butyl Tape, Silicone and sealing - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #101

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
So, I have a few small leaks around my windows and ceiling vent. While I know that removing and reinstalling would be the way to go, I don't have the expertise or the time right now to gain the expertise. And the leaks are small, so a little sealant would probably last me a good long time.

So what product should I be using to add a little extra seal along the window gaskets?
I'm in the process of pulling and resealing all the windows in my 13' Bigfoot.
I use Dicor caulking. It's made for rubber roofs but works well on Eggs.
Anything is better than silicone.
It's taken me almost as much time to remove the silicone as it did removing and replacing the first window.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #102

Name: Randy
Trailer: casita
Florida
Interesting info here, even if its almost 2 years old. Back when I was uneducated and had a metal camper with some leaks, I had a mobile RV shop come out and they taped and rolled the roof with rubber coating. They then applied acrylic latex chaulking, in a thin, neat bead, around all the windows, vents etc. Removing all these protrutions and Butyl tapeing them would have been the correct method but I wouldnt have paid them to do that and didnt have time or experience to do it myself. Now that I have my beloved Casita, things will be done right on it. More time, money and Im keeping this one.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #103

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Question, I'm pulling the windows out of my 2001 Scamp. They are louvered and square with silver rivets on them. Lots of silicone to get off from previous owner. I got black rivets which look much better. I used butyl and it squeezed out nicely all the way around. It looks nice an clean now. Do I need to put a bead of flex seal around the edge or is the butyl good enough?
SteveZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #104

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I never "Double Seal". But not to worry, the silicone bead will usually peel right off after about 1 season.... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #105

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Your fine with just the Butyl.... I use the edge of a plastic scraper and get in nice and close....clean up the residue.....done.
Butyl is the best
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #106

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Thanks.... The more "crap" I can get off, the better it looks!
SteveZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #107

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Thank you for the great visuals! I have five burro windows to re-butyl and you have made it so much easier!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #108

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Flexible Seal

I’m unsure of the exact product “Flexible Seal.” I have located two possibilities:

https://epmar.com/knowledge/technica...0VOC_FSC75.pdf
and
https://epmar.com/knowledge/technica...Seal_FSC60.pdf

How close am I?
Is there another non-silicone caulk?
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #109

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
So, I have a few small leaks around my windows and ceiling vent. While I know that removing and reinstalling would be the way to go, I don't have the expertise or the time right now to gain the expertise. And the leaks are small, so a little sealant would probably last me a good long time.

So what product should I be using to add a little extra seal along the window gaskets?
Depending where the leak is, sealing along the window gaskets will accomplish zip.

Removing windows (one at a time of course) is not really a big job and does not require a lot of expertise either. There are endless threads on resealing windows, I just read a few and benefited from the knowledge and expertise of others.

If there was a viable short cut, everyone would be doing it.

Its that old saying, there is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Now if you don't have a molded FG trailer, there may be other options.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #110
HHD

Name: Johnny
Trailer: Jayco
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
After the masking tape is removed, you can smooth it out and tool it to your heart's content (and the level of neatness you require). This is a small cover, and my standards were not very high. However, you should get many years of leak-free performance out of it. As has been pointed out, most silicone is poison for this kind of thing, since is loses its grip and provides a path for the moisture to penetrate.

I have removed several items and resealed them and the old silicone has provided graphic evidence of failure. Bad stuff.
Seems like overkill? Why use both tape and caulk? I don't want to work with caulk for several reasons. Thanks.
HHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #111

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin B. View Post
I’m unsure of the exact product “Flexible Seal.” I have located two possibilities:

https://epmar.com/knowledge/technica...0VOC_FSC75.pdf
and
https://epmar.com/knowledge/technica...Seal_FSC60.pdf

How close am I?
Is there another non-silicone caulk?
Which post are you referring to? Flex Seal is a brand name which may be mistakenly referred to as Flexiseal or Flexible Seal.

I recently used Geocel Pro Flex sealant. It is a non-silicone sealant "specifically designed for the recreational vehicle industry."
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #112
CBG

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: scamp
United States
[QUOTE=Con;40581]I have said it in my thread and on the my pictures on Webshots. "

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm a newbie. Where are "webshots?" I looked under a few pull down menus but didn't find anything. Figured asking would be faster. I would like to see these pix.
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #113

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
[QUOTE=CBG;758839]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con View Post
I have said it in my thread and on the my pictures on Webshots. "

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm a newbie. Where are "webshots?" I looked under a few pull down menus but didn't find anything. Figured asking would be faster. I would like to see these pix.
webshots is just one of the many photo hosting sites out there on the internet. A place where you can create an album and then upload your photos to it and give people a link so they can see them.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #114

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
[QUOTE=k corbin;758893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBG View Post
A place where you can create an album and then upload your photos to it and give people a link so they can see them.

Except that they probably won't follow the link, so they probably won't see them, or the link will be broken. I wish Social Knowledge would make posting pix on their forums as easy as Facebook ( eg. ).