Buying a 1988 Cadet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and website. I have a 2006 Honda Element and a member of the ElementOnersCLub and was referred to this site by an EOC member.I am interested in a Cadet that I have seen listed on craigslist. I have had very little luck finding background information on the internet. I am reaching out to you all for whatever background info you can share.
Are there certain things I should be looking for, are there tendencies of failures in any area.. etc......
All the info I have currently is that it is a 1988 Cadet... I have not gone to look at it yet..
Any information would help greatly.
Thank you
Randy
Randall Zeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Randy, and welcome to the forum

Have you tried searching for previous Cadet threads on this forum? The projects that other Cadet owners are working on would probably give you some good information. They seem somewhat rare, as represented here anyway.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #3

Yep.
Did the search for previous posts, and found a bunch of helpful pieces. I guess I was just hoping that someone would be active that could give me some quick, good facts.
I figured that by the small amount of information out there on the web, that this might be a rather rare piece. This kind of makes me nervous, in that if there are any failure areas, I wouldn;t know what to look for.
The price seems to be really good, almost too good, if you know what I mean.
Guess I'll just need to make the 2-3 hour drive and check it out.
Thanks for you feedback.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hi Randy,

I'm one of those from the EOC (PugMom) who told you to come over here and talk to these nice people. Did you find anything by searching here? Sometimes it's kinda hard to find what you are searching for.

Did you see the page on this forum that has all the different kinds of fiberglass campers listed? Click on the Cadet, and you can see a couple pics. Darn, they are so cute! I told my husband if we were closer, we'd be adding a second camper already!!

I'm trying to think of things to tell you---but I'm so new to this too! Fiberglass seems to be easy to work on. You'll want to check out the axle (is it riding low---), are there any "soft" spots on the floor when you walk on it, is the door threshold bowed/bent. Places that look like water has leaked in?

Honestly, they are asking such a ridiculously low price, I think it would be hard to go wrong (unless you are as adverse to working on it as my DH is!)

OK, Fiberglass people, jump in here and help Randy---what else can we tell him? I don't want him to miss out on it, if we can help answer his questions!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Also, on the left side of this page, is the "Buyers check list", you can print out and take with you.
Oh, I wish I could go with you!!!!

I wouldn't worry too much if the appliances don't work, etc. Alot of people use a dorm fridge or just a cooler. You can order a 2 burner stove, (or some people just cook outside and NEVER use their appliances!)

I got a small airconditioner at Target for $54. Stargazer (on EOC) put one in his Scamp.

One thing to look at: if you want to put it in your garage---how tall is it and how much height do you have to work with. I live in a neighborhood where I can't park it outside, and mine won't go in the garage, so it is at a storage place.

If you go look at it, take pictures, and if you're still unsure---post them here and people can try to see if they see any big problems.

Good Luck!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This Buyer's Check list actually prints out better than the one on the left, which is HTML. The one in the Document Center is a PDF and prints exactly as you see it: Buyer's Check List.

I do know the front window, if it's broken or cracked can be problematic. Since the trailer is an import... not manufactured in the US or Canada, specialty parts have to be imported if you can't find something that will work on this side of the Atlantic. Basically, that's just the window.

Good luck, please let us know how it works out for you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #7

It is an amazingly small world when you get this much help for one question.
Thanks. Thanks. Thanks.

My wife and I spent the day at HersheyPark for the big RV show they host... found only a couple of new smaller-style campers that could really be towed by our E.
I think that this Cadet just might be the 'ticket'

We are planning a trip out to view,and drop some money on.. (hopefully), this week. Need to contact the seller and see if they have had much interest, and when it could be checked-out.

I will definitely print the checklist.. thanks.!!... and will consider what you have offered about the axle-support ( riding low) ... pictures only show a little on the listing ...

Tags
cadet