Buying a trailer in PA, but live in NJ - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 2006
Buying out of state.

I have done this many times. Go to a bank in Pa that is a branch of your bank. Get the check from the bank in front of the seller. Have the title and bill of sale notarized at the bank. Everybody is clear and drive it home. You may be able to get a travel tag from the Pa DMV to get it home. Don't forget to call your insurance agent as soon as you take possession and get it bound. Otherwise you insurance would not cover the value of the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisakmoser View Post
Hi, we went to see a camper today and loved it. The problem is we live in NJ and the trailer is in PA (and not close to any NJ DMV). The owner is nervous about being burned and basically wants to have all the paperwork in order before we take it home (if we can make it happen).

Does anyone have any insight on this situation? Could we head to a PA DMV and sign over the title there and get some sort of temporary tag situation before going to a NJ DMV?

We are worried they will go with someone in-state if the process is too annoying. Which I understand. We will be calling our DMV tomorrow morning first thing but figured I would post here first! Thank you!!!
Dick Kasnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #22

Nevada
Registry
Quote:
Do we need insurance in place BEFORE we get the trailer?
Liability depends on the state. Here in Nevada, your vehicle insurance covers that, but collision is separate. Call your insurance agent. That can usually be done over the phone.

Also, when you speak with the DMV ask if they can issue a temporary plate for transport and find out what is required. You may only need a faxed copy of the transferred title and/or a bill of sale.

Finally, I would have the seller sign the title for transfer even if your state doesn’t require it. That way if you move or sell out of state to a state where it is required, it might avoid some future headaches.

Good luck with your new camper!
egfasdsdsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #23

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Quote:
On the link you gave me, it says NO TITLE needed for under 2,500lbs. He has a title, would he still give it to me, but we just don't sign it over? If we have a notarized bill of sale, I pay him cash and we drive off with it...is there a way he could get into trouble or I'm not the responsible party? I am trying to alleviate any worry in his mind first...I can also call my insurance company to see if I can add the trailer before we pick it up.

I wish I asked to see the title & VIN # today! We drove 4 hours to see this trailer today and I'm delirious and the whole thing seems really daunting and I'm worried he will just go with another person if it's too complicated.
Liability insurance (damage to others) is covered by the tow vehicle’s insurance so that won’t hurt the seller. comprehensive/collision insurance for damage to or loss of the trailer is your responsibility, and you want to have it even though it isn’t mandatory, does not affect the current owner either once he signs that title over to you. He can draw up a bill of sale—there are examples on the Internet and the NJ DMV might even have a sample. If this seller is putting pressure on you about being worried about his own liability and threatening to sell it to an in-state buyer, I would check that trailer and title with a fine toothed comb.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:18 PM   #24

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I fully understand the sellers concern and that is how I have done transactions in recent years. It is not that long ago that there was a Seattle Times article about the issues people have had with sellers and buyers not getting the paperwork accomplished and then the seller getting stuck with fines and towing bills created by the person they sold it to.

So try to respect them for trying to make sure that both parties will have no troubles in future years. You as a buyer won't have to worry about your title to the RV being valid when you go to sell it. They don't have to worry about you being reliable and finishing up with your end of it. You both have the security you need when you do it this way.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote