Buying in Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Azur
Trailer: 1980 Burro, 1973 Trillium 1300, 1977 Surfside 14',1975 Boler 13'
Washington
Registry
Buying in Canada

Hi all,
There have been many discussions about the process of buying and importing a trailer from Canada. In August I went over the border to buy a 1977 Triple E Surfside 14'. Here is what I learned:

Anything over 25 years old is easy and free to import.

The things you need to know
You do not need to declare cash going over the border as long as it is less than $10000.
Go to a licensing agency and get temporary tabs for the road home.( in Canada the plates do not stay with the trailer)
Make sure you have the proper towing set up or bring some trailer lights to insure safety on the road.
Bring passport and license and information about the trailer manufacturer. Even if outdated.
When you come back through the crossing you will have to go in to the import office and have them give you new papers to take to the licensing office.
The sellers sales price will be put on your documentation and will be seen by the licensing agency of your state. You will have to pay sales tax if applicable.

I left Seattle at 7 am and was back in the states at 130 pm after buying and picking up the trailer in Surrey. It took me about 1.5 hours to get through the border.

I plan to do this again as I would love to have a Trillium at some point!
Hope this is useful to those looking
Azur
Azurko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The ONE really BIG thing you also need to know is that in Canada the trailers all have their own registration, plates and insurance. When you buy a Canadian trailer of any age, you will need to get the Vehicle Registration Transfer papers from the seller - SIGNED - by the party who's name appears on those documents & the Serial number had better match the trailer. As stated above the plates stay with the seller though.

Without Vehicle Registration Transfer papers you will have a hard time getting it across the border or get in registered in any state should you by some bizarre means actually get it across the border.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I agree with all of the above comments. In August, I imported a 1978 Trillium 4500 from Ontario. Three years ago, I imported a 1974 Boler 13 from Ontario. In both cases, I obtained the current, signed registration and bill of sale from the previous owner, then obtained import form from US Customs, and then was able to obtain a Michigan title, registration and permanent plate.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
It doesn't apply in this case, but not in all Canadian provinces do the plates stay with the seller. Here in New Brunswick, for example, plates stay with the vehicle/trailer. FYI
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote