Cabinet door material - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2006, 10:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
Hey all,

I'm doing a mod to our closet where I put in adjustable wire shelves. The only thing I have left to do is to cut the bottom door opening larger to be able to better access the lower shelves. Does anybody know what the wood laminated material is called that Scamp makes their cabinet doors out of? I need to make a 24" x 18" door. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it done as it was really quite easy to do (if you don't mind drilling and cutting the fiberglass).

Thanks!
-Isaac
Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp
Don't know if you're aware that Scamp sells the doors, both tops & bottoms, as well as a long closet door and will ship them to you quite reasonably.
Raunie Aasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
Greetings.
I think the material is called MDF, medium density fiberboard. Buying a door for the upper cabinet from Scamp and cutting it down to size is probably the easiest way to go.
Diane & Dave
DianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
If it`s like the older Bolers, it`s not MDF, but possibly K3 particle board, I believe....this is wood sawdust mixed with glue and pressed into a board and used in shelving, etc.....MDF is usually used in trim such as coves, base boards, and casings and appears to be paper with glue.....hopefully some one on site is more knowledgeable about this.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
Thanks for your suggestions.

I went ahead and ordered the custom door from Scamp for$25. I'd still like to know what the material is and if it comes with the "wood" laminate on it so that I can remake some of the faded doors.
Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The stock door material is MFD with a thin (very thin) vinyl covering glued on

If you know to or know that can help, do what I'm doing. I'm edge gluing 1/2 maple, cutting to size and rounding the edges. In my case the three over the stove doors have had a mountain scene woodburned and painted. But they can be finished with any clear durable finish for that solid wood look.

I plan on making and replacing all the cupboard doors. I think I'll make the closet door into a thin shadow box. Solid wood of course. That project will probably be next winters project.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

When I modified my Love Bug, I made all new doors out of box car siding. I also removed the ice box and added a matching door. The entire project set me back about $40 for the wood, glue, stain, adn varnish. I think they look much nicer and are lighter weigh, lighter color, and much better looking.

However, if you like the original look, it is easier to order from Scamp.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote