Cabinet structual support? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
The Cadet has the tall cabinet in the usual place inside the door. One side is screwed into a fiberglass flange and the other side is screwed into the door frame. Is this design providing some sort of structural support? Where are the engineers?
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV but I know when Scamp has sold one of their "blank slates," it had a closet support by the door. They wouldn't sell a trailer completely empty on the inside...it was said those items were needed to support the roof. Now a Cadet

On Edit: I found the topic posted by Dan Landt (prehack), we've lost the pictures due to that blasted hacker
Scamp 16' Modifications, Finally posting windows, A/C and bed installs

Then there's this one:
Scamp structural integrity, wall between side dinette and rear bed ?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: In our Boler the one cabinet twisted metal support (very controversial) is positioned across the trailer from the closet...This would lead me( a non engineer type) to believe it is to ballance out support for both sides of the fiberglass shell/roof!!! I feel strongly that support is needed...but in as light weight a manner as possible and the closet next to the door opening helps at a critical spot of weakness... My Humble Opinion... Don you gotta neat looker...Enjoy it!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:48 AM   #4

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
My Humble Opinion... Don you gotta neat looker...Enjoy it!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf: I trim my whiskers every morning...honest! Thanks for your input. I'm thinking about increasing the strength of the roof by glassing in 1x2s. The cabinet seems so flimsy I wonder how much support it does provide.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... The cabinet seems so flimsy I wonder how much support it does provide.
This is only a guess, but the consistency with which builders of eggs with a conventional layout place some sort of full-height structure adjacent to the door (on the rear side, which the one near the middle) suggests to me that support is required.

In my B1700RGH, the equivalent support is the forward end of the galley, which has one of those wrought iron items connecting counter to upper cabinet. It is possible, of course, that this is only to hold the load of the upper cabinet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...I'm thinking about increasing the strength of the roof by glassing in 1x2s...
I noticed in some of the great photos posted by Fiber Stream owners (I think Frederick's fan installation was where I first noticed) that there are ribs moulded in across the roof of that design. From the inside, the lines are visible but the surface is basically flat, suggesting that the ribs are created in the mould, then 'glassed over on the inside to form box beams, as Don is proposing (but external, rather than internal). I have no idea what might fill the Fiber Stream ribs.

The need for roof reinforcement is increased by the choice of a roof with a large flat area. The Fiber Stream uses those ribs, some Bigfoot models use a substantial plywood panel, and I've seen the Shuttle cargo trailer (it is moulded fiberglass, and I see a lot of them around here) with a small number of steel internal frames (a squared U running across the ceiling and down the walls).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote