Cabinets are detached from roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #1

Name: J
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Cabinets are detached from roof

Hi there. I just bought a trillium.. i can't remember the year. i think it's a 1974.
I have a few things that I need to repair and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I apologize in advance for my terminology! I'm a newbie and I don't know the proper names of all the parts.

1. the cabinets that are above the sink are starting to sag. They've detached from the roof. I've seen photos where people have installed metal bars that seem to be supporting the cabinets. I'm just wondering if this is the best way to go.
2. I'm not sure what it's called, but there are some plastic strips that "plug" into the insulation... some of my strips are falling off. Someone mentioned to me that if i take a blowdryer to it, it'll make these plastic strips pliable and i can just push them back into place. Is this correct? or should I be gluing them?
3. Flooring. It currently has some linoleum on the floor, which I'd like to replace with some newer linoleum. Once I remove the old stuff, do I need to clean off the glue / residue before laying down new linoleum?
4. Finally, will it devalue my trailer if I were to paint the cupboards? Right now, they are pink particle board... I think. I'm not a 100% on the material.

Thank you!
jlwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi "J" to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

We have quite a number of Trillium owners here and I know you'll get answers to your questions shortly.

But, I just wanted to pop in and say HI!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #3

Name: Josh
Trailer: Boler 1300
Washington
Hey jlwl,

I can not speak to all of your issues but I will try to answer what I can:

1. It depends on how your cabinets are attached. If it's similar to a boler than you have rivets through the outside of the trailer that are connected to L brackets. Those would be the culprits that would need to be addressed. If it's not rivets that than there is something else that attaches them there. Either way I would figure out how the cabinets were originally placed and fix that rather than temporarily supporting them. You may find you have other issues that are contributing (i.e. leaking rivets)

2. The plastic strips I believe are trim pieces called t moulding. Using a blow dryer should limber them up, and I do not know if glue was used on the original installation, but I don't think it is.

3. Anytime you lay new glue down you will want to make sure the surface is as clean as possible. Take a sander with some 80 grit and get most of what you can off. Clean it with some rubbing alcohol (other may say acetone or goof off) and test a small area first. Also check your local second hand store. Sometimes you can get the pergo floating wood flooring for cheap and it does not require any glue and much less prep work.

4. If it looks better than it did originally I don't believe you will be de-valuing your trailer. These things are not always valued for their originality, sometimes they are but mostly for functionality. It's your trailer do what you want.

Take all of this with a grain of salt. I do not own a trillium, however I have spent quite a bit of time working with glue in the manufacturing industry.
PNW_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
You say you have a Trillium, all trilliums that I know of the cupboards are fiberglass and attached to the main body. If yours are partical board someone has changed them. The cupboards are part of the main structure and are part of the main support for the trailer.
On your flooring, yes remove all the old glue with a grinder and create a smooth surface for new flooring.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
give us a few pictures to work from please. I would recommend carefully removing the t molding and putting it in a pan of very hot but not boiling water, this will take out all the ruffles and make it pliable enough to pop back in.
I believe the fibreglass cupboards should be glassed in at the top, and the doors are the only wood part.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Like said above you really need to provide pics or the exact model of the Trill'?

Not all Trillium have fiberglass cabinets glassed in though most do so either you meant the Doors are particle board or you have a larger model that has particle board cabinets,the real answer for the separation from the body depends on the model and actual construction.

Let see this thing!

And Welcome.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The big question is:
What type of Trillium do you have. Is is a 1300 or 4500, with fibreglass cabinets, or is it a Trillium Jubilee. Much more square, with wood cabinets. The fridge is on the door side of a Jubilee, and on the 1300/4500 models, it is under the stove.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote