Cable hook up - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
I think I saw pictures one time on how someone hooked up cable in their egg but I can't find the thread. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on what did or did not work for them? Pictures? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Lenna F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Safety chains/cables?
Umbilical cable?
Breakaway brake cable?
Shore power cable?
Cable tv?
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #3

Sorry,
Cable TV
Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #4

Can't help with that! I use my laptop as a DVD player.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, there's a couple of ways and I guess you're talking about running cable coaxial from the cable box (at the campground) into the trailer?

For a couple of bucks you can get a flat connector that runs either under the door or at a window. Because it's flat, you can close the door or window without degradation of signal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CA8W6E.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	13403

Or for something more permanent, you could mount a cable hatch and have the coaxial in a cupboard, etc.

Name:   Winewa0124.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  3.9 KB

When I purchased my trailer, the previous owner ran the coaxial out the electrical hatch....

Is this what you were asking?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:56 AM   #6

Donna,
That was what I was asking. You are always very helpful on this site. We spend just as much time "camping" in our driveway with our 10 year old as we do going away and thought it would be great to run cable to it since we spend so much time there. Can't wait to get going for the season again. Has been rainy and cold here but have spent a couple of nights out in the driveway already. Planning a trip to Sauble Beach this summer and hope everything goes well. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
One thing you could do (I plan to do it to mine) is install a cable splice through the hull of the RV near the TV so that you could leave a short length of cable permanently connected (more or less) to the TV. To connect to the site connection, you would just have to have a cable long enough to reach from the location on the outside of the hull to the site box.

The connector or cable splice would have a nut on both sides and be caulked sufficiently to avoid moisture intrusion but the connectors are only about 3/8" diameter anyway so it's a small hole in the hull. The connector needs to be long enough to allow the cable connectors to screw on from the inside and the outside. A connector about 1.5 inches long should do it. It could be mounted in a box, I suppose but that seems like overkill. The same connection could be used for an external antenna as well, even one that you stow inside but perch on the roof when camping. A small cap would screw on when not in use although a dab of silicone grease would be sufficient protection.

You would have to think about where you want such a connector so that on the inside it's near the TV (or where you can route and hide the wire) and where it's convenient for connecting outside.

My flat screen LCD TV is on a swinging bracket mounted on the forward toilet/shower compartment wall such that it swings out to face either the dinette or the forward bunk when it's in use. That's on the port side (left side for you land lubbers) of the camper. I'll probably insert the connector somewhere on that side to avoid having to route the cable all the way around to where the other connections are; but it needs more thought.
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #8

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Donna,
That was what I was asking. You are always very helpful on this site. We spend just as much time "camping" in our driveway with our 10 year old as we do going away and thought it would be great to run cable to it since we spend so much time there. Can't wait to get going for the season again. Has been rainy and cold here but have spent a couple of nights out in the driveway already. Planning a trip to Sauble Beach this summer and hope everything goes well. Thanks for the help.
If you want to skip running a cable out to the trailer you can use what I use...a X-10 video sender.

Name:   d866_1_b.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  11.8 KB

It's a neat little unit that allows you to control your cable box, VCR tuner, or TV by remote control, as well as send the video and stereo audio wirelessly up to 300'. (They advertise 100', but it will go further with units in direct line of sight. I've had it working out to the edge of my property.)

I've got a VCR hooked up to my cable in the house and I'm using it's TV Tuner. I'm able to watch over 75 channels of basic cable and change channels with the remote control. I'm using a aux. vidio input on my portable DVD player out in the Scamp.

This thing works great! It costs $49.
ConwayBob
Old 05-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Here's a website that sells a variety of RV cable hatch and coaxial equipment:

http://www.dyersonline.com/c-221-out...ceptacles.aspx
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good website Lisa H.! I'm thinking with the advancements in technology I wouldn't want to punch any holes in my trailer for things that are probably going to be outdated within a relatively short period of time. Who needs a land line phone hookup... for instance. Cable TV is on it's way out with satellite coming on strong. I'd rather settle for the Flat Connector as I reference earlier, or the video sender Bob mentions... or even running coaxial out through the electrical hatch like was done by my Scamp's previous owners.

Just my 2-1/2 cents.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I just routed the Co-Ax from the TV to the fridge controls compartment.
Then I open the hatch,slide the cable thru a slat and connect to either the Cable or Antenna.
Then I can close the hatch and no big deal.

For the record,I install this stuff for a living,Keep It Simple ______!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #12

I would just take it out through the same hatch as the shore power cable.