Callmark covers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2021, 11:10 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
Callmark covers

I need to do something to keep precipitation off of my trailer and am considering a custom Callmark cover. Could some folks who use them or have used them in the past please give me some feedback and, perhaps, where it falls on a scale of 1 -10 with the following benchmarks.

As well as how much and in what ways is a Callmark cover better than an Adco cover?

10 = heated garage

9 = garage

8 = car port

0 = uncovered
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I've used a Calmark on my otherwise uncovered Casita for about 8 years. It seems to have plenty of life left. I would buy one again. Sorry, I couldn't figure the number code.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #3

Oregon
In the very wet and humid climate here on the OR coast, I worry about moisture getting under the cover and creating an environment conducive to mold growth.

We also have occasional extreme winds and I worry about a cover being blown in a way that causes it to rip.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblangley View Post
I need to do something to keep precipitation off of my trailer ...
Precipitation should not be an problem unless its severe acid rain. Precipitation is a problem when it gets inside the camper (i.e. leaks). If the precipitation is snow or ice then a cover will make it more difficult to remove the snow or ice, which is sometimes needed to make sure the roof is not compromised. So I would not worry about a cover just because of precipitation.

The major benefit of a cover is reducing the UV (sunlight) damage to the finish and especially various rubber components (thats why some people cover the tires even if they do nothing else). So I would consider using a cover in the sunny summer in the south long before I would spend money on a cover in winter - in snow country. It can also be of help if you are forced to store the camper under a pine tree.

And the prior comments are valid and why you should buy a good cover, even if its not Calmark. Loose fitting covers or non-breathable covers can do more harm than good.

And in all cases a carport or enclosed shelter would be better, but of course is often not possible.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:33 PM   #5

Oregon
This is interesting -

I emailed for a "Quick Quote" from Calmark for a 1995 Bigfoot 17G; it came back at $1022.

I seemed to recall having gotten a quote some time in the past and was able to find the email from May 2018; at that time, the quote for the same trailer was $595.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:21 AM   #6

Name: A&B
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD
Ontario
We were lucky enough to find a gently used one for under $300. for our Casita. I would have to say it's similar to a carport. Keeps the sun off. It gets soiled and I just wash the cover while its on the trailer. There is a brand new one over on the Casita forum still in the box. Not sure if that would fit the BF or not.
AandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I used a Callmark cover while storing my 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe outside
near Dover TN off season. We had no problem at all. Our cover had secure strapping that held it in place. It was very well made and helped minimize UV damage to the finish.
Kathy Dalbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:29 PM   #8

Oregon
There is a consensus that a Callmark cover will be good for providing UV protection.

I wish I had more UV to be concerned about but my issue is more focused on keeping water off of the trailer.

I am worried that, even if moisture is kept of the trailer, I am concerned about mold growth on the trailer and on the cover.

Any firsthand experience with that will be helpful and appreciated.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:05 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My trailer lives under a cedar. It turns green over the winter. in the spring, I wash and wax it.
Attached Thumbnails
green roof 1.jpg   green roof 2.jpg  

Old 02-18-2021, 08:01 PM   #10

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
8 & 9, shelter logic Round Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblangley View Post

10 = heated garage

9 = garage
A shelter logic Round Top can be had for under $400 when on sale. It will not however withstand my snow loads. I clean it after every heavy snow fall. Yet another side note, Mine had a seam fail with the first HOT summer day. They sent me a free replacement cover that I sold along with the original repaired cover and then bought a $1200 heavy duty replacement that is holding up fine. I have also added to the ground anchor system. (I also have a Calmark cover and it is a great product, the round top was an addition for a summer event and Scamp storage was coincidental.)
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...4441924568.htm
Attached Thumbnails
ROUNDTOP.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote