Camper Inspection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #1

Name: Esther
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Camper Inspection

Hello,

We found a Casita Spirit camper for sale 2 hours away from home that we are very interested in. We are going to look at it this weekend. But we'd like to have it inspected, too. How do we go about finding someone to inspect a camper when we live out of the area? Should we go to an RV service place? Should I make an app't before we go out there? Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:57 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Shops are pretty busy right now. But you can google “RV repair near (seller’s town)” and see what you can find. Ask for a pre-purchase inspection. Clarify what the inspection covers and what they charge.

In addition, make sure the seller is willing to cooperate. They may have multiple serious buyers lined up and not want to bother.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Thank you. Good information. I'll start researching tonight and calling tomorrow. I guess I should also speak with the owner.

Are inspections standard when purchasing campers?
Old 08-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #4

Name: Renee
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Depends on how much you are spending?
Old 08-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Camper Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther out east View Post
Not for smaller used molded fiberglass trailers, most of which are in the $10-20K range. Most people take the Buyer's Checklist, maybe bring along a more experienced friend or family member, and do their own inspection.

On the other hand, when I had my late model Roadtrek motorhome on the market last year, yes, several potential long-distance buyers asked me if they could have it inspected locally. In that case there was a lot more money involved as well as a significantly more complex RV.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:21 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther out east View Post

No. It really depends on the price level. Self inspection with research ahead of time is prudent. Many don't do the research, and then are "surprised" by shortcomings that have been endlessly reported here and elsewhere.

IMO, the typical RV inspector is not going to be well versed in molded FG trailers.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:40 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
If your inspection request creates any delay or burden on the seller, then I would not be surprised if the camper gets sold to someone else. The market is quite hot now. In fact waiting until the weekend to see it might not even be prudent if its a good deal. If it's not a good deal, either because the price is too high or the condition too bad, then it might stay on the market longer. The seller can demonstrate things for you. You can check for soft floor or obvious damage and lack of care. If you can find a more experienced RV owner (fiberglass or not) to go with you, that can help. Maybe even video conference from the camper with a friend who knows more than you about campers. For me, I would not hire an inspector for a Casita purchase except for the propane system, and maybe the electrical. And I would probably do that after the purchase.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:02 AM   #8

Registry
+10 single data point, I sold my Casita in four hours and I only put up a CL ad. I had responses from interested parties all over the SE but sold to the first person that looked at it, who was local.

Since you are targeting just two brands, educate yourself now so you can do the inspection yourself. Then send seller a deposit and start driving. That’s how I bought my Trillium.

In a couple days of reading, you will know MORE than any inspector. Inspectors are generalists, have to know something about all brands and types, from a pop up to a huge Class A pusher. You just need knowledge about Scamp and Casita.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Only two hours away from home? That's not far, I think, so I would read up and print the "buyer's checklist" from this forum and drive up there. I hope you have found a good one! Good luck.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
..Then send seller a deposit and start driving. ..
I agree with Bill except for the part I bolded. If you do send a deposit then make it small enough so that you wont be upset if you lose it.

The best deals go the fastest... if its two hours away then I would be there in two hours and 5 minutes after I saw it for sale, with cash in hand. If it's been for sale for a month, I would not even cross the street to look at it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I agree with Bill except for the part I bolded. If you do send a deposit then make it small enough so that you wont be upset if you lose it.

I sent a $500 deposit in my case. Just like Vegas, only risk what you are willing to lose. And in my case, it was over 600 miles away (one way). Two hour drive, I'd be there already in person.

Beating the horde of locals wanting a Trillium meant risking some money. Sent via PayPal, so you can actually retrieve the funds (item not as described). Of course, in my case, you would be out the travel expenses. And I neglected to mention I had earlier traveled twice as far, to Colorado, only to find the trailer was in dismal condition.

The more specialized your search, the further you will probably have to drive and you may need to secure the item with a deposit. Scamps and Casitas are plentiful in the US compared to Trilliums.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:36 AM   #12

Massachusetts
I love the buyers checklist. It's more comrehensive than the list I came up with. Thank you.