Campster sliding window part - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2023, 11:32 AM   #41

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
Nice to see you on the forum again. We haven't heard much from you lately. Thanks for the info on the window seals. Ours came missing them and has always had that "vent". This looks like a perfect solution.
hi Dave,
I do not have much to write about other than the weather. I live a boring full time on the road life, boring because I try to avoid crisis and drama
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 04:34 PM   #42

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
Campster windows

We need to remove the windows in our Campster, clean out the track and replace felt but couldn’t find any replacement parts.
Have searched everywhere I can find but no luck.
Didnt want to start something that we knew couldnt finish correctly.
Opening windows has always been quite a chore.
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:54 PM   #43

Oregon
Replacing sliding window felt run channel Campster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Rei View Post
We need to remove the windows in our Campster, clean out the track and replace felt but couldn’t find any replacement parts.
Have searched everywhere I can find but no luck.
Didnt want to start something that we knew couldnt finish correctly.
Opening windows has always been quite a chore.
Well you certainly are not going to be able to find the replacement materials using the words TrailsWest Campster As we do not know the make and model of the windows they use we can not just look it up with that information.

However you can find the right size using dimensions and a few keywords.

So what dimensions are needed?
You need to know the thickness of the glass. My Campster is 3/16" thick and I would assume so is yours,
Next you need to know the inside width of the aluminum channel it fits into. That is 5/8"
Then you need to know the height of the channel which for ordering purposes is 17/32"

Other important keywords you need to know, because you have to bend around a curve, the felt run channel must be "flexible" and/or described as "unbeaded". Beaded felt run channel will not work as it can't fit into the curve.

There is going to be more than one source out there to buy from. Those sources are not necessarily for travel trailers but are more likely selling to vintage car restorers, they use the very same stuff. Comparison shop for prices is my suggestion. Here is a link to one source, the first one that turned up today in a quick search. I am not going to do your shopping for you but I am willing to point you in the right directions by showing you at least one example of what you are looking for.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Metro-Moulded...26-72/10002/-1

Happy hunting and be aware you will most likely need to release the glass from the aluminum frame holding it in. It will need a good cleaning to remove all the rusty residue from the original felt that was made with cloth covered wound steel wire.To do that you need to drill out the rivet holding the frame together. The use a spreader bar clamp to gently spread out the top and bottom sides of the frame. Work on a towel covered table top so you do not break the glass. Then insert the new felt and the glass. Use the long bar clamps to gently pull the frame back together and put in new rivet. I had to use a a little spacer from the hardware store against the puller nose with the rivet stem going through it to be able to get it to pull the new rivet because of the narrow size of the channel and the wider puller nose. Where there is a will, there is "make it work somehow without destroying or giving up".

Patience is required.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:16 AM   #44

Oregon
I forgot to mention to be sure to look on Ebay for the sliding window felt run material in the auto parts section. Sometimes the best prices are there for by the foot lengths. The keyword "vintage" might also help as this material was used on the 1960 and earlier roll up car windows.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:59 AM   #45

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
there is a vertical window seal on an exterior aluminum extrusion in the center of the two sliding windows. several years ago I replaced it wth a vinyl seal which worked. but over time vinyl shrinks so bugs were getting inside. fortunately Vintage trailer supply is now selling that seal made with silicon which does not shrink. they sell it by the foot nd 3 feet is enough for replacing the seals on the two windows.

part number from Vintage trailer supply is VTS-2136
part description is "Side Seal for 1960s Windows"

as I have other of the vinyl window seals I replaced a few years ago also now shrunk in size I will also be replacing them with new seals made from silicone. big thanks to vintage trailer supply for stepping up to get the seals made from silicone! They do prompt shipping. Hopefully when I get around to visiting Santa Fe NM I can stop into their showroom for a visit.
Well unfortunately that seal above arrived and it is too small to stay in the extrusion and does not reach over to the glass. So it is a no go. Fortunately it was not expensive. So mostly just dissapointment. I put that shower seal piece back in place ...for now it will have to do.

Tags
campster